Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times

Advertisements

Interesting study where psychologists asked people from the north and from the south to fill out a questionnaire and take it to the end of a long narrow hallway. They would be blocked by someone going and returning with a brief conflict in passing.

The psychologists found that subjects from the North tended to respond to the bump and the insult with amusement. They saw the angry person as laughable and the situation as silly. The Southerners reacted differently. For them, the insult was infuriating, and in the moment it produced pronounced changes to their faces and body language, which were not present in the Northern subjects.

But it didn't just stop there:

In later runs of the experiment, the psychologists tested the men’s cortisol and testosterone levels, hormones associated with stress and aggression. After the insult, Southerners’ levels of cortisol rose nearly 80 percent, while Northerners rose 33 percent.

How Your Address Changes Your Politics - David McRaney - POLITICO Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,474,039 times
Northern men are ******. (****** = timid cats)

Old 08-02-2015, 12:46 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,547 times
The angry white guy is very prevalent in the South.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:51 PM

What's interesting is the participants in the study didn't know the questionnaire was the study. They thought it was something else entirely, yet what they found was consistent between the Northerners and the Southerners. When Democrats laugh and shake our heads at the tirades, we think those Southerners are putting on an act because they cannot be serious. I guess they are.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:04 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,018,196 times
LOL Original settlers of the South were herders, the study says. So, I wonder, did they get direct descendants of those original settlers? I mean that would keep the study accurate wouldn't it?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAbroadInPoland View Post
they should do this by race too and see the results
The premise of the article is that where you live can have an effect on your politics.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:10 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
My hypothesis is because Southerners don't encounter cursing and aggression in casual encounters as Nortgerners do, so they tend see it as a bigger deal. (The OP left off the fact that the actor cursed the men when he bumped into them.)

I have a friend who moved to NYC from the South, and while she really likes it, she had a hard time adjusting to people saying things like "get the **** out of here" in a normal business conversation.

On the flip side, people moving here quickly learn to be less aggressive to fit in better. My friend from Philly says she had to quickly learn to quit honking her horn and swearing at people for not going as soon as a light turns green.

When you rarely to never encounter a stranger bumping you and calling you an ******* (like the actor in the scenario did), then you are much more likely to see that as an act of aggression.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:18 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
My hypothesis is because Southerners don't encounter cursing and aggression in casual encounters as Nortgerners do, so they tend see it as a bigger deal. (The OP left off the fact that the actor cursed the men when he bumped into them.)

I have a friend who moved to NYC from the South, and while she really likes it, she had a hard time adjusting to people saying things like "get the **** out of here" in a normal business conversation.

On the flip side, people moving here quickly learn to be less aggressive to fit in better. My friend from Philly says she had to quickly learn to quit honking her horn and swearing at people for not going as soon as a light turns green.

When you rarely to never encounter a stranger bumping you and calling you an ******* (like the actor in the scenario did), then you are much more likely to see that as an act of aggression.
I suspect there's something to this.

IME, having lived in both northern and southern states, people in northern states are direct with each other so this sort of thing is not all that uncommon. In the south, they'll be nice to your face then let the hate unleash once you're out of site and they're back in the company of people they know won't challenge them.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That was the point. The actor did it to get a reaction. The Northerners just chuckled and had little to no physical reaction. Southerners on the other had had a dramatic reaction.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I suspect there's something to this.

IME, having lived in both northern and southern states, people in northern states are direct with each other so this sort of thing is not all that uncommon. In the south, they'll be nice to your face then let the hate unleash once you're out of site and they're back in the company of people they know won't challenge them.
If you are around hateful people, you should choose better friends. But yes, Southerners tend to be less direct.

My neighbors are Westerners who moved here from CA last year, and they said they are thrilled to live in a place where children are raised so well. They said at the first sleepover one of their middle school sons had here, the kids got up the next morning, cleaned the playroom and asked where the vacuum was so they could get all the popcorn crumbs up. They said they looked at each other and asked if they had moved to the moon instead of across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies