Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

I am usually aware enough of my surroundings that I would have seen the bump coming and have twisted away before contact. If I could not have avoided the contact I would have braced myself and watched the guy bounce off. Then I would have walked away. A little, maybe not so little, case of PTSD goes a long way in some situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Southerners on the other hand are widely known as being among the most well mannered and hospitable people on Earth.
Really? Because I can pull up a few videos proving otherwise.

How about the video of James Meredith attempt to go to Ole Miss?

How about the video of marchers crossing the Pettus Bridge in Selma?

Or that video of the Birmingham church bombing?

Maybe a nice viewing of a small group of kids in that whatchamacallit state...umm..oh yeah..Arkansas! Yeah...that's it. You know, they were trying to get to school when thousands of very hospitable southerners showed just how hospitable they were by forming lynch mobs to stop them.

Hey...whaddya know! I just found these signs from Texas that say "no dogs, no Mexicans, no Negroes.

Yeah..."southern hospitality." At its finest of course.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:37 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Northern men are ******. (****** = timid cats)
Actually the experiment shows the opposite. The Southerners are sensitive they can dish it out but not take it.

Northerners have a spine.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:36 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Northerners might have a tendency to be surprised & somewhat amused at the actor's anger at having to make space for a 2nd time, sortof like, 'You gotta be kidding me?' while shrugging their shoulders. The 'shoulder bump' would tend to make me think the person wasn't really playing with a full deck, I wouldn't hold a grudge against the person - it would appear as if they are already having a hard time coping.

Not at all my experience when walking around NYC or Philly. In those towns people get plenty riled if someone bumps them on the sidewalk or train.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Northern men are ******. (****** = timid cats)
According to who? You? You don't know my neighbors. Or me.

Go fly a kite.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The experiment the OP referenced was published 20 years ago and conducted on 83 University of Michigan white male undergraduates.

Quite a.....uh.....reach by Politico to make a point. Pretty thin experimental design on very small, homogeneous sample, not to mention dated.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstr...ernCulture.pdf

It is good to do a little personal research instead of just swallow articles published in any publication as fact or even of interest whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Do you really think they have changed in twenty years? Twenty years is a blip. Republicans are still toasting Reagan and he was almost forty years ago.

Why be defensive about it? It's just showing the difference in reactions based on geography.
Seacove, did you even read any of the study?
I don't think the poster was being defensive but pointing out some flaws in an old study.
The south was defined as from Delaware to Nevada including Missouri and Kansas. The sample size was small and being southern was defined as having lived 6 years in one of the 21 "southern states". The aggressive tendencies were attributed to earlier settlers being herders? Must be the mid west southern states.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
That was the point. The actor did it to get a reaction. The Northerners just chuckled and had little to no physical reaction. Southerners on the other had had a dramatic reaction.
Besides which region these people are from, there's a lot we don't know about the study. Did they control for urban versus rural origins, for instance? People who are from crowded cities would tend to blow off a confrontation like the one described. It happens every day. People from rural areas would not have become desensitized to such encounters.

Also, did they control for age, for educational background, for economic strata? There isn't any "psychology of the North versus the South", without recognizing the differences in these factors, and how such factors affect a person's perspective.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Besides which region these people are from, there's a lot we don't know about the study. Did they control for urban versus rural origins, for instance? People who are from crowded cities would tend to blow off a confrontation like the one described. It happens every day. People from rural areas would not have become desensitized to such encounters.

Also, did they control for age, for educational background, for economic strata? There isn't any "psychology of the North versus the South", without recognizing the differences in these factors, and how such factors affect a person's perspective.
Good point.

It's been my long time contention that regardless of region, rural people are basically the same and urban people are basically the same.

A rural white southerner in Alabama will likely have more in common with an equally rural person from Wisconsin than they will with a city dweller in Birmingham.

That's why i've been saying all along that there is no such thing as "southern culture." Southerners break down the same lines that everyone else in every other region in the United States does.

A lot of perceptions about Southerners is based on the notion that the South is more rural than the rest of this country...which is absolutely untrue. Every region of the United States is mostly rural.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good point.

It's been my long time contention that regardless of region, rural people are basically the same and urban people are basically the same.

A rural white southerner in Alabama will likely have more in common with an equally rural person from Wisconsin than they will with a city dweller in Birmingham.

That's why i've been saying all along that there is no such thing as "southern culture." Southerners break down the same lines that everyone else in every other region in the United States does.

A lot of perceptions about Southerners is based on the notion that the South is more rural than the rest of this country...which is absolutely untrue. Every region of the United States is mostly rural.
The flip side of that coin is that somehow people who have a different perspective, a different set of concerns are somehow "wrong". The fact is that a rural existence is quite different from an urban existence. And different policies have a different impact on people in rural environments versus urban environments. If they didn't have a different sent of concerns, then something surely would be wrong. Do poor people have the same set of concerns that rich people have? Do women have the same set of concerns that men have? Do college students have the same set of concerns that retired people have?

There is no Southern psyche, no Northern psyche. There are people whose lives are different from each other who have a different set of concerns, a different set of priorities. But, as you say, the rural person from Wisconsin will be more like the rural person from Alabama, than either will be like the person from Chicago.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The flip side of that coin is that somehow people who have a different perspective, a different set of concerns are somehow "wrong". The fact is that a rural existence is quite different from an urban existence. And different policies have a different impact on people in rural environments versus urban environments. If they didn't have a different sent of concerns, then something surely would be wrong. Do poor people have the same set of concerns that rich people have? Do women have the same set of concerns that men have? Do college students have the same set of concerns that retired people have?

There is no Southern psyche, no Northern psyche. There are people whose lives are different from each other who have a different set of concerns, a different set of priorities. But, as you say, the rural person from Wisconsin will be more like the rural person from Alabama, than either will be like the person from Chicago.
Of course. I mean, it's all too obvious.

The political breakdown in this country definitely comes down to the urban vs rural dichotomy moreso than liberal vs conservative or north vs south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies