Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 09:32 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,622,128 times

Advertisements

679+ posts ALL ABOUT black men.....

Probably less than 10 posts written by black men

Everyone has an opinion these days.....

And it stops there....with an opinion. Nothing more to offer.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:33 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,443,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Translation: Your kids are "different" because your contribution of European ancestry to their DNA makes them culturally "better" than those with two black parents.

You posted about your kids being insulted/upset/annoyed that they were referred to by people who don't know them as "black" or "colored" or "African American". This speaks volumes. From the pictures that you have posted they look "black" but obviously the idea that they can not distance themselves from their own blackness is disturbing to them. Because, again, if it really doesn't matter then who cares if people think that they "look" black?

And on another note, you can poo-poo all you want about the issues of the "one drop rule" and "passing" because you are an outsider looking in. These issues are a significant part of the African American experience regardless of how silly or antiquated. It is a part of OUR history. It affected OUR families. It impacted OUR culture. It is a part of OUR heritage. Again, having relations with or making babies with a black man does NOT make you an expert on African American history or culture.
Absolutely. It's silly to pretend that biracial individuals can easily identity with whichever side they wish. For various reasons--among them, the recessive nature of European genes--it is simply not so. And everyone is different, of course, but if you're really honest, it's easy too see the reality that being biracial tends to cause identity issues. I think this is less so with black and white mixed people because they can often relate to their black side, for reasons already brought up. But it's a bigger issue for Eurasian mixed people, for example, because neither side tends to accept them as their own.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:33 AM

73,061 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
They have a lot of blacks so light and white looking that these blacks could pass for white.

My mom went to college in Louisiana and the colorism was rampant. There were was this guy that liked her but she was too brown for his family--it was important that they remain super light so they only married super light Creoles like themselves. In other words you would be surprised at the number of blacks that have two black parents that look more biracial and/or white than an actual biracial person.

Blacks are truly diverse-people constantly try to lump is altogether when physically we are probably one of the most diverse looking race in this country. Our hair is not all the same, our skin tones differ, our eye tones differ, our features differ.

It is not a negative thing for a biracial person to look black because blacks are extremely diverse looking. Even in my family, cousins and all, we are all different looking and range in hair, tone, etc.
Oh, okay. With this thread having gone down the negative path, it's hard to tell who is talking about what.

I get what you're saying. My mother is from Louisiana. She is a Black woman. She is very light in her hue. She has some Creole ancestry, and in addition to African, Irish and Native American. She has been mistaken for Hispanic many times. In fact, someone spoke Spanish to her. Her siblings range from being somewhat light in complexion to being very dark. Both of her parents would be considered "brown" in hue.

My mother knows about colorism. It was in her family as well, not her immediate family, but in her ancestry a few generations before.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
679+ posts ALL ABOUT black men.....

Probably less than 10 posts written by black men

Everyone has an opinion these days.....

And it stops there....with an opinion. Nothing more to offer.
I would not say all of them are about Black men. However, I do notice there is alot of hatred and resentment towards Black men. This thread is being used as a medium to vent such hatred and anger.

It isn't a surprise. There have been other threads that popped up, complaining about Black men, and Blacks in general. However, between the men and the women, I've seen more threads complaining about Black men, and it brings alot of vitriol out.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,606,549 times
Quote:
They have a lot of blacks so light and white looking that these blacks could pass for white.

My mom went to college in Louisiana and the colorism was rampant. There were was this guy that liked her but she was too brown for his family--it was important that they remain super light so they only married super light Creoles like themselves. In other words you would be surprised at the number of blacks that have two black parents that look more biracial and/or white than an actual biracial person.
Thanks for replying. It's exactly what I wanted to explain about southern Louisianans.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Thanks for replying. It's exactly what I wanted to explain about southern Louisianans.
Well, at least that was cleared up.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,545,964 times
Quote:

Blacks are truly diverse-people constantly try to lump us altogether when physically we are probably one of the most diverse looking race in this country. Our hair is not all the same, our skin tones differ, our eye tones differ, our features differ.

It is not a negative thing for a biracial person to look black because blacks are extremely diverse looking. Even in my family, cousins and all, we are all different looking and range in hair, tone, etc.
So very true. Part of my family is E Tx/Louisiana Creole (I grew up in a neighborhood with mostly Creoles) and the color codes are mind boggling. And yes, many Creoles have light skin/hair texture/European features that has been maintained by only marrying and having children with other light skin/loose curl or straight hair texture Euro featured Creoles. Even though their European ancestry is 4 or 5 generations (or more) removed.

Another interesting thing is that based on the pics that were posted her children would be considered "too dark" by MANY Creoles despite the fact that they are biracial.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:07 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,275,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Oh, okay. With this thread having gone down the negative path, it's hard to tell who is talking about what.

I get what you're saying. My mother is from Louisiana. She is a Black woman. She is very light in her hue. She has some Creole ancestry, and in addition to African, Irish and Native American. She has been mistaken for Hispanic many times. In fact, someone spoke Spanish to her. Her siblings range from being somewhat light in complexion to being very dark. Both of her parents would be considered "brown" in hue.

My mother knows about colorism. It was in her family as well, not her immediate family, but in her ancestry a few generations before.
Yep. I think a lot of white people are ignorant to the fact that black people range in looks-no we do not all have the same hair, tone, or features. There are blacks that look completely European but they are completely black-this is why it is difficult to lump us all together or to point out that we only look European when we have one white parent, when in actuality there are many of us with black parents that often look more European than biracial people. The light Creoles in Louisiana are a great example. But a lot of people really do think we are only a few shades of brown with coarse curly hair. Smh.

I don't care either way if a biracial person chooses to call themselves black though and I can see why many of them do, but I'm kind of over the silly idea that's been touted in this country that being mixed means you look better or different from children with two black parents, when this is not necessarily true.

I don't think all white parents with biracial children think this but some do really believe that there children look better or look very different from black children and it sort of perpetuates this,"they are part white so they are better than them" type of attitude. I've seen many biracial people that were not the exotic beauties people portray them as. The colorism, looking different from "stereotypical" looking black features, and being able to say you aren't fully black are often lauded in this country and that contributes to perception of how people look at blacks and the way we define black beauty in this country but that's another discussion altogether.

My main point however is that there is much diversity in the black race.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 AM

88,631 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't whether I should laugh or cry at this kind of.....thinking?
I remember someone on CD once stating that you shouldn't mix black and white races because it's the same as trying to mate dogs and cats.

It's beyond my ability to accept that people actually wake up, look at themselves in the mirror, punch their fist in the air and declare, "I'm gonna be as stupid as I possibly can be today!"

But it seems to be what happens. There's no other explanation than willful stupidity.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:21 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,443,101 times
Quote:
Yep. I think a lot of white people are ignorant to the fact that black people range in looks-no we do not all have the same hair, tone, or features. There are blacks that look completely European but they are completely black-this is why it is difficult to lump us all together or to point out that we only look European when we have one white parent, when in actuality there are many of us with black parents that often look more European than biracial people. The light Creoles in Louisiana are a great example. But a lot of people really do think we are only a few shades of brown with coarse curly hair. Smh.

I don't care either way if a biracial person chooses to call themselves black though and I can see why many of them do, but I'm kind of over the silly idea that's been touted in this country that being mixed means you look better or different from children with two black parents, when this is not necessarily true.

I don't think all white parents with biracial children think this but some do really believe that there children look better or look very different from black children and it sort of perpetuates this,"they are part white so they are better than them" type of attitude. I've seen many biracial people that were not the exotic beauties people portray them as. The colorism, looking different from "stereotypical" looking black features, and being able to say you aren't fully black are often lauded in this country and that contributes to perception of how people look at blacks and the way we define black beauty in this country but that's another discussion altogether.

My main point however is that there is much diversity in the black race.
Yep. It's very fashionable to say that mixed race people are more attractive. But what's that even based on? It seems like a mantra that gets repeated and persists because it can't really be contested (if you're white) without running afoul of political correctness. But think about what it says to monoracial people of all races. For biracial people to be more attractive, it would necessarily mean that monoracial people are less so. Ironically, it runs afoul of political correctness when it insinuates that nonwhite monoracial people are less attractive than they would be if they were of partial European descent.

I think the media encourages the use of this mantra because its agenda includes increasing the frequency of interracial marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies