Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,195,893 times

Advertisements

Planned Parenthood does far more than perform abortions. For example, if a young girl is raped and perhaps is not get ready to disclose the matter to family, she can go to PP for all testing. Around 1 in 6 women have endured rape. As shown, the vast majority of their services go toward a myriad of services, other than abortion. It's sad that many people want to deprive others of help rather than go after individual wrongdoers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 02:59 PM

3,906 posts, read 4,559,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes.

Understand that the fact that the federal government doesn't fund Planned Parenthood is not a bar to States funding Planned Parenthood.

Many States also fund Planned Parenthood.

It's up to the voters of each State, since you do live in a federal republic.

In addition to States funding Planned Parenthood, counties and cities also fund it.

$1.3 TRILLION is wasted on redundant federal Welfare Programs.
THANK YOU! Yes, I hadn't thought of that... so PP could be supported on a more local level in accordance with the "states rights" principals leaving the federal government out of it?

Now I have heard that there are some states that have also defunded PP?... would that be the will of the people or an executive order from a governor?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:40 PM

546 posts, read 409,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
THANK YOU! Yes, I hadn't thought of that... so PP could be supported on a more local level in accordance with the "states rights" principals leaving the federal government out of it?

Now I have heard that there are some states that have also defunded PP?... would that be the will of the people or an executive order from a governor?
I believe most state constitutions are like the US, in that the legislative branch passes a budget for the Governor to sign. Doubt it's executive orders.

Personally, I'm tired of the erroneous assumption that if you want PP defunded by the Feds that you are anti-BC and anti-abortion.

As noted, states and local communities can decide for themselves what kind of reproductive services should be provided at no cost to the poor, and how that should be funded.

Also as noted, there are BC providers other than PP.

I applaud the idea of a private non-profit stepping in to help women for whom BC and other reproductive health services are otherwise not available or are too costly. That aspect of PP's mission I heartily support. But like other charities, it should be privately funded, IMHO. (I say this as one who has donated to PP in the past).

If roughly half the population supports abortion, I would imagine if PP were defunded, they would receive voluntary contributions from those who support them.

But if in principle you believe there is no Constitutional basis for subsidizing contraceptive services nationwide, along with many other issues better left to local control, it doesn't make you a religious zealot.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 AM

3,906 posts, read 4,559,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I believe most state constitutions are like the US, in that the legislative branch passes a budget for the Governor to sign. Doubt it's executive orders.

Personally, I'm tired of the erroneous assumption that if you want PP defunded by the Feds that you are anti-BC and anti-abortion.

As noted, states and local communities can decide for themselves what kind of reproductive services should be provided at no cost to the poor, and how that should be funded.

Also as noted, there are BC providers other than PP.

I applaud the idea of a private non-profit stepping in to help women for whom BC and other reproductive health services are otherwise not available or are too costly. That aspect of PP's mission I heartily support. But like other charities, it should be privately funded, IMHO. (I say this as one who has donated to PP in the past).

If roughly half the population supports abortion, I would imagine if PP were defunded, they would receive voluntary contributions from those who support them.

But if in principle you believe there is no Constitutional basis for subsidizing contraceptive services nationwide, along with many other issues better left to local control, it doesn't make you a religious zealot.

Thank you for the reasonable reply.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:02 AM

14,487 posts, read 11,307,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Since disproportionately poor people and minorities are the ones using Planned Parenthood, you'd think conservatives would be thrilled with any abortions coming from that group. Seems kind of twisted to support the birth of people who in all other aspects of policy you basically hate.
Seems kind of twisted to support the abortion of people who you profess to love.

Or maybe its all just lies to get a vulnerable population to vote the way you want.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,065,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
My thoughts exactly

Women get abortions for a variety of reasons, most of the time its because they don't have the ability to care for them whether it's financial, mental or environmental reasons. I would rather ser a potential life end vs an actual human being born only to face a life of misery and pain. This is where I really don't agree with Conservatives. You don't bring a life into this world unless you can care for them. If the government tells a woman she has no choice then that government is responsible for the well being of that child, which Conservatives are not.
I think if every one who believed as you would donate to Planned Parenthood then there wouldn't need to be a thread about government funding of it.

Quote:
Um, no, orphanages are at capacity.
Do you have the numbers on that? You might be right.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I support planned parenthood because like it or not there would be more babies born in poverty without them, that's reaility. I also believe in preventive care. I think they need to aggresively catch and punish those involved in the recent scandals though.
This. The whole cause celeb over selling body parts is just a doctored gotcha video.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,065,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

But here is the deal, the government does not belong in my womb.
I take it by this you mean they should not be funding Planned Parenthood.

Quote:
Planned Parenthood gives women easy access to birth control, condoms, pap smears and preventative screenings. All of these are essential services.
Doesn't health insurance under ACA also offer those services.

Quote:
According to the annual report, 42 percent of the services it provides is for STI/STD testing and treatment, 34 percent is for contraception, and 9 percent goes to cancer screening. Another 12 percent is miscellaneous women's health and other health services. The 327,653 abortions Planned Parenthood clinics perform each year make up just 3 percent of the total services the group provides.that?
I have read if you look at the total dollars a much different picture is painted. Plus I think 10% of all clients get an abortion.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,306,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I take it by this you mean they should not be funding Planned Parenthood.

Doesn't health insurance under ACA also offer those services.

I have read if you look at the total dollars a much different picture is painted. Plus I think 10% of all clients get an abortion.
Yes, and those people are on medicaid which is a large portion of Planned Parenthoods business.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,138,019 times
Just so the pro-lifers know, PP only performs about 27% of all abortions in the US per Guttmacher Institute. So, even if PP goes away altogether, at least 73% of the abortions will continue (other abortion providers will pick up at least some of the void left by PP, so it would be higher than 73%).

Just so you know the demise of PP won't result in the end of women's choice. Or a really significant dent.

Mic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies