Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,837,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
did someone say she had more than two?

Old 08-09-2015, 08:18 PM

51,004 posts, read 24,497,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Read your bible.. maybe you will understand what happened here on earth before the creation of man.

There is evidence of other civilizations that died out.. they were different.. the earth and its inhabitants could have been destroyed many times over.. we are on the brink of that today.
"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone."

That may seem snarky, but it's sort of what people think when they read the kind of statement you make about "what happened here on earth before the creation of man" and "the earth and its inhabitants could have been destroyed many times over" and "we are on the brink of that today".

During the Scopes Monkey Trial, Clarence Darrow said something along the lines of, "The Bible is a book. It's a good book. But it's not the only book."

Carson's apparent beliefs about earth's history...well, maybe he needs to read a few of those other books, particularly ones which deviate from his own perspective.

Last edited by phetaroi; 08-09-2015 at 08:35 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
They are putting Carson down for being a 7th Day Adventist or in other words believing in Creation. They know not what they speak about.. one is not educated until they read the bible..
Carson must have seen first hand the miracles of God through his medical workings.

I have spoken to doctors who believe in after life because of some people dieing on the table and their spirit roamed the hospital hearing what people were saying , only to return to their body after they were revived and talking about their out of body experience... We only know in part ..
So, most people in the world are not educated since they have not read the Bible? You know, like 69.5% of the world's population?

This is what bothers me about Carson as a candidate. He only relates, like you, to his own little world. How can such man deal with the big wide world out there? He can't. He's very limited.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,104,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Faith is an integral part of the human experience and something that will attach itself to a religious figure, government or both.

Of these three possibilities, the worst is both.

Religious faith, irritating as it may be to the statist, is what stands between free people and tyranny.
Explain Iran and get back to me.

Quote:
Religious faith provides direction, purpose and moral absolutes that when combined with the courage it also provides allows individuals to take risks and confront evil, and particularly an evil state, in a way the statists sheep never will.
Religion is not the only thing that does this. If it were, the USSR would never have existed.

Quote:
That Carson`s religious faith is such that he believes in a six day creation is no liability at a time when more and more people are rejecting the state deities and the dead end religion of statism.
Believing something that is not only not true, but scientifically impossible, does what to prevent government overreach?

Quote:
In a room full of brain surgeons, he`s considered the really smart one.
He's an excellent brain surgeon. Never denied that. Intelligence however is not universal. Isaac Newton is called the first scientist for his amazing discoveries that built the foundation for much of modern science, but the last magician for his views on alchemy that were completely wrong. His idiotic view on alchemy does not make him less of a brilliant man in the areas where he excelled. Just as believing in mythology that contradicts modern science does not make Carson less of a neurosurgeon.

Quote:
Put your brain in gear.. not the earth.. civilization is 6 thousand years old big difference.. the earth is the big round dirt ball floating around in space... been here for millions of years.. got it.. now Ben Carson believes that Man was created 6 thousand years ago in the garden of Eden.. the earth, big dirt ball is different than the creation of mankind.. Man is much too complex to evolve.. man can adapt ,, that is a far cry from evolve.

The bible says one day to God can be 1000 years.
We need to define what civilization means before we decide how old it is. Regardless of this, if someone believes that civilization is 6,000 years old, because the Bible says this (as Seventh-day adventists do), it's not really possible to separate the Earth and civilization here.

Seventh-day adventists believe the 6 days were literally 24 hour days, but let's pretend that each day was 1,000 years. This still puts the Earth at ~10,000 years old, which is not any better. It also would suggest that humans only existed for 1,000 years before civilization started. Which is also completely wrong.

There isn't a way to 'logic' creationism. It's based of of scientifically illiterate mythology. To believe Genesis is even just mostly true, it to deny everything in modern biology and anthropology, as well as other fields.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have a better question. Why do we start at pre-school age, trying to get rid of black kids?
Fact Sheet: How Bad Is the School-to-Prison Pipeline? | Tavis Smiley Reports | PBS

Why do teachers assume their black students are incapable and stop paying attention to them?
Teachers Of All Races Are More Likely To Punish Black Students
Study Finds Teachers Expect Less of Black and Brown Students - The Root

And the next question. Why are you assuming that black parents aren't teaching their kids.
Very good questions, Jade.

In evaluating teachers, I saw this more than I would like to admit.

I had one teacher who only called on White students...which I documented over 3 different class periods...even though about 15% of her students were Black, and another 7% were Latino. When I would visit her classroom after school there were only White students. She said students would remain after for help when she called the parents. I asked her how many Black parents she had called, since a majority of her Black students were getting D's and F's. None. Her response to all of this during her post-conference was, "Well, I don't even see color." To which I responded, "What the hell. Are you blind?" Without commenting, I put that stats in her final report. Funny how after that there were Black students being called on and staying after school.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:37 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,177,047 times
Ben Carson attempted to murder his classmate when he was young. He stabbed him right in the abdomen with a hunting knife, but luckily his classmate had a large belt buckle that blocked the knife. If Carson had succeeded in killing his classmate, he'd be just another Black felon and no one would be talking about him.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:44 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,166,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
Many Blacks still believe that going to school, speaking properly and trying to be successful is like trying to emulate the white man.
Thug Tries to Bully a Classmate For "Talking White"

Old 08-09-2015, 10:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very good questions, Jade.

In evaluating teachers, I saw this more than I would like to admit.

I had one teacher who only called on White students...which I documented over 3 different class periods...even though about 15% of her students were Black, and another 7% were Latino. When I would visit her classroom after school there were only White students. She said students would remain after for help when she called the parents. I asked her how many Black parents she had called, since a majority of her Black students were getting D's and F's. None. Her response to all of this during her post-conference was, "Well, I don't even see color." To which I responded, "What the hell. Are you blind?" Without commenting, I put that stats in her final report. Funny how after that there were Black students being called on and staying after school.
I am not shocked at all.

I started wondering, when I was in high school, why I was the only black kid in honors classes. And there were other sharp black kids in my grade. Then my parents filled me in on what happened when they registered me in school when we moved. The school district accused my parents of forging my test scores and wanted me to take new tests, IQ and otherwise before enrolling in the honers classes. Those tests were given in November, with results arriving in January, which would have meant I would have been 1/2 a year behind in those classes. They protested, and the school district relented.

In adulthood, I started chatting with other black friends, who lived all over the country, and 1/3 of them had really similar experiences in their school districts. And we are the ones who knew it happened. What about the other people?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,344,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Why are black parents, especially single black moms, not encouraging/requiring/forcing their children to read Ben Carson's books and have him as a role model?
How do you know what black parents do or don't do?

But the next time the Black Parent Book Club meets, I bring up your concerns

Old 08-09-2015, 10:32 PM

920 posts, read 934,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Church of LDS was considered a cult by evangelicals until shortly before the 2012 election Billy Graham's people removed the cult reference from their web site.
That's interesting. They are still a CULT though, no doubt. They are not Christians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies