Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,474,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The idea that the terrorists trembled in fear when Reagan took office and so that's why they released the hostages?

Reagan later gave them $8,000,000,000. That kind of shows that the release was part of a deal and not because they trembled in fear. There were also several terrorist attacks on Reagan's watch which kind of blows the terrorists afraid of Reagan theory wide open.
Reagan deserves neither praise nor condemnation for complying with the terms of the Algiers Accords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LOL.

"Terrorists" were not an issue in Reagan's day. It was still communism and the cold war.
Revisionist history.

You have to wonder how Ronald Reagan managed to keep his presidency after the 1983 suicide car bombing of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut that killed 63 people including 17 Americans.

And the Marine barracks bombing that same year in Beirut that killed 241 American servicemen.

And the 1984 bombing of the embassy annex in Beirut that killed 24 people including two American military personnel.

And the kidnapping and murder of CIA Station Chief William Buckley.

And the murders of AID officials Charles Hegna and William Stanford in 1984, after Kuwait Airlines Flight 221 was hijacked.

And the murder of U.S. Navy diver Robert Stetham, when TWA Flight 847 was hijacked.

And the murder of Leon Klinghoffer, when the Achilles Lauro was hijacked.

And the 1986 disco bombing in Berlin that wounded hundreds and killed dozens, including two American soldiers.

And the bombing of Pan Am Flight 108 over Lockerbie.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:52 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Do remember, that Carter did try a military option with Iran. That mission has to go down as one of the , single, worst debacles in our military history. Under equipped (woefully) undermanned and under planned. I can just picture some fat reared general, puffing on a cigar, saying "If the Israelis could pull off Entebe, WE can do this, with less". We did it, alright. Got a bunch of good men end and lost a couple helicopters, then got to see the film , our media , joyfully showed, of our soldiers naked bodies drug through the streets of Tehran.
"That mission has to go down as one of the , single, worst debacles in our military history."

I would put Clinton's actions up there. They made a movie of it, Black hawk Down.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

The bombing of the Marine barracks in Beirut, killing 220 US Marines under Reagan's watch wasn't terrorism committed by terrorists?

Any other revisionist history you'd care to write while you're at it?
Our U.S. Army PX complex in Frankfurt, West Germany was bombed in Nov. 1985. I was there - it sucked. Rhine Main Air Base was bombed Aug. 1985. We also had to deal with the Baader-Meinhof gang so, yes there was terrorism under Reagan. USAREUR was a dangerous place in the 1980s. Remind me again; who was the President?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hardly. It's barely remembered now. What people don't remember is that Carter kept us from going to war with Iran and eventually all the hostages were returned unharmed. No loss of life. Given what has happened since, in the middle east, it's probably one of the finest military decisions made.

If you want to talk about military debacles, then go look at the Tet Offensive or one of the many incidents that have taken place in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001. The loss of life over nothing is simply horrendous.
"eventually all the hostages were returned unharmed." NOT during Carter's time.

Carter could NOT get it done, Reagan DID.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I don't blame that just on Carter. No doubt the Pentagon planners are more responsible than was Carter, but as they say "the buck stops here" so Carter did the right thing and took responsibility for it. What I do blame him for however is not getting to work planning another mission, he should never have let those terrorist win.

As far as Regan goes I do believe the Iranians feared him and that is why the hostages were released. I was young when that was going on, but Ill never forget seeing those people get off that plane on TV as Reagan took office. I have always admired President Reagan, he supported an American foreign policy based on strength and patriotism. The world knew when he was President what would happen if you messed with the United States. I think the Iranians knew the bombs would be raining from the sky if those people were not let go. Reagan knew your enemies needed to fear you, and he also applied this to the Soviet (evil empire) and this led them to overspend on defense to the point of their collapse. At the time people saw Reagan as a cowboy who would start a war, but the best way to have peace is to be the biggest boy on the playground. Reagans time in office was one of peace because of this, other than minor conflicts like Grenada, Lebanon and that little educational lesson taught to Libya for its bombing of the disco in Italy. These were skirmishes that reminded our enemies to leave us alone, and no major war was fought in that era because of this. This is what is lacking today, and this is why are enemies are running over us now. They see us as weak, see no leadership and smell blood in the water. Putin for example is smart, and he knows we have no guts so his armies act without concern for us in Ukraine at this very moment. ISIS knows we will not send troops, so as we speak they undo the hard work of hundreds of thousands of our troops in Iraq. Iran is just laughing at our weakness as our desire for peace forced Kerry and Obama to cave completely on Nukes in Iran. No one takes American power seriously anymore, and the Europeans have not done any better. In a world of western appologists and appeasers, dictators are having a field day.
"As far as Regan goes I do believe the Iranians feared him and that is why the hostages were released."

I agree.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Must be nice to be able to "remember" facts as you want them to be.

Terrorist ran amok during the Reagan Administration...

Iran-Contra Affair
Terrorist Attacks On Americans, 1979-1988 | Target America | FRONTLINE | PBS
http://foreignpolicy.com/2014/02/07/...n-cut-and-run/

And here is some "bonus" history for ya...

http://thedailybanter.com/2013/05/13...from-fox-news/

Check out St. Ronnie's actions here... I know, you don't want to read anything you can't dispute with actual facts, you might have to turn in your BBBB (Blinded-By-BS-Badge).

http://listverse.com/2015/01/15/10-r...ronald-reagan/

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-16-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:58 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"As far as Regan goes I do believe the Iranians feared him and that is why the hostages were released."

I agree.
If they feared anyone, it was the Vice President.

Hell, even Reagan feared the Vice President - and not without good reason.

Hinkley was a family friend.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"eventually all the hostages were returned unharmed." NOT during Carter's time.

Carter could NOT get it done, Reagan DID.
Reagan had zilch to do with getting the hostages released. The agreement was inked during Carter's administration.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:00 AM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
Oh please. They weren't scared of Reagan. It was planned from the beginning. So we would all go Yay Reagan, and then go along with changing the financial policies of this country to benefit some very evil people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies