Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 06:46 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I don't think anyone in the FM is allowed to talk about them. Seriously . . .
Why do you think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you do need a sponsor though. usually a family member, or a friend that is a mason. for instance had i been interested in joining the masons back in the day, my grandfather could have sponsored me to become a mason.
That is not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Like any good fraternity, You don't join the Freemasons. The Freemasons choose you. end of story
2 B 1 ask 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Can't. I'm Catholic.
I have Catholic friends who are Freemasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
They will seek out certain people ...
Most Grand Lodges forbid members from recruiting, ever.

A few times, I have spoken with men on forums who expressed interest in becoming a Freemason. In those cases, I contacted the Master of their nearest lodge and I arranged for them to have a face-to-face meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 AM

To be a member one must be:
1- a man,
2- freeborn,
3- of lawful age,
4- not coerced and not offered any inducements to join,
5- must be of a stated belief in a single deity,
6- and can not be asked to join (he must ask for himself).

Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Why do you think that?

That is not correct.

2 B 1 ask 1

I have Catholic friends who are Freemasons.

Most Grand Lodges forbid members from recruiting, ever.

A few times, I have spoken with men on forums who expressed interest in becoming a Freemason. In those cases, I contacted the Master of their nearest lodge and I arranged for them to have a face-to-face meet.
I know for fact that some retired high ranking military officers are recruited.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
I've always found the Mason's fascinating, and I really don't know a thing about them. I've spoken with a couple and they couldn't be nicer people.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I know for fact that some retired high ranking military officers are recruited.
A man in my church [Bob] has spouted off many times in public that he has been recruited. I asked Bob many times to explain this 'recruitment'. After many months, one day he explained it to me. Bob had an uncle who was a Freemason. The uncle passed away. Years later, his aunt [the uncle's widow] began telling Bob that he should join the Freemasons. Within Bob's mind, the Grand Poobah has selected Bob for initiation into debbil worship.

Any man may ask any Mason about the fraternity. There are only a few select topics that Masons can not discuss. If you wish, we may freely have long discussions about Masonry.

I served on Active Duty for 20 years. During my career, I discussed Freemasonry with many fellow servicemembers, enlisted and officer alike. I belonged to a military lodge for a few years. I have been in uniform discussing life with other masons, when non-masons have joined in the conversation. I have no doubt that some US servicemembers have spoken with masons, about masonry. I have been in some of those conversations. But nobody was being solicited to join. We are not allowed.

Some times at public events like a county fair, there will be a booth setup by Freemasons. Loaded with brochures giving information about Freemasonry, Job's Daughter, Rainbow Girls, Demolay, Eastern Star, Scottish Rite, York Rite, and Shrine. You can talk with those brothers all day if you wish. They are simply providing information. They are not 'recruiting'.

2 B 1 ask 1

Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A man in my church [Bob] has spouted off many times in public that he has been recruited. I asked Bob many times to explain this 'recruitment'. After many months, one day he explained it to me. Bob had an uncle who was a Freemason. The uncle passed away. Years later, his aunt [the uncle's widow] began telling Bob that he should join the Freemasons. Within Bob's mind, the Grand Poobah has selected Bob for initiation into debbil worship.

Any man may ask any Mason about the fraternity. There are only a few select topics that Masons can not discuss. If you wish, we may freely have long discussions about Masonry.

I served on Active Duty for 20 years. During my career, I discussed Freemasonry with many fellow servicemembers, enlisted and officer alike. I belonged to a military lodge for a few years. I have been in uniform discussing life with other masons, when non-masons have joined in the conversation. I have no doubt that some US servicemembers have spoken with masons, about masonry. I have been in some of those conversations. But nobody was being solicited to join. We are not allowed.

Some times at public events like a county fair, there will be a booth setup by Freemasons. Loaded with brochures giving information about Freemasonry, Job's Daughter, Rainbow Girls, Demolay, Eastern Star, Scottish Rite, York Rite, and Shrine. You can talk with those brothers all day if you wish. They are simply providing information. They are not 'recruiting'.

2 B 1 ask 1
Nice story but I can assure you that some top military leaders are recruited. End of story.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default What about joining Free Masons ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I don't think anyone in the FM is allowed to talk about them. Seriously . . .

Doesn't sound all that free.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I've always found the Mason's fascinating, and I really don't know a thing about them. I've spoken with a couple and they couldn't be nicer people.
There was an old TV show called "Hogan's Heroes" that I liked as a child. It was a comedy, set during WWII in a POW camp in Germany. Among the actors were former POWs, Jews who had escaped the Nazis, and former Allied solders. The show made fun of the Nazis. For me, many years later while I was serving in Europe. I was a Mason in countries where Masonry is still illegal, and it must function in a 'hidden' mode. I finally understood what that TV show was really saying.. In every episode it taught the importance of Freemasonry.

Here in the USA Freemasonry is openly displayed.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Quote:
Nice story but I can assure you that some top military leaders are recruited. End of story.
If you can assure us, you can back up your claim. As it stands there are at least 2 of us in this thread who are active and know the rules. What you say is happening is against the rules.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:34 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:

And we are supposed to take your word as gospel on that. I know what the rules are and I say this is bogus. Perhaps you can show proof of what you say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies