Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:33 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Perhaps things are different in the US, but at least in Europe people do not take it kindly when their previously ethnically united population is suddenly swamped with foreigners. It's why the far-right is growing in the first place. Slow and controlled immigration where immigrants are expected to assimilate may not cause much problem, but the nonsense currently going on in Europe will end in disaster if it isn't stopped.
Americans are brainwashed by the "Nation of Immigrants(TM)" mythos from cradle to grave. Essentially, they're taught to believe that they have no right to a homeland and no legitimate interests. Ironically, the vehicle for this is an "appeal to tradition" fallacy, delivered by the very people that hold tradition in highest disdain any other time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The U.S. is different. It was built on different ethnicities coming from other lands. Some were less welcome at first, but we're a nation that adapts to the different cultures who arrive here.

Ben Franklin, one of our primary founders, worked to build a temple where all faiths could worship because he was so committed to multiculturalism.

He said that if Constantinople sent someone to spread Islam, they would be given a pulpit from with to preach.

As noted earlier, celebrating the Mexican Cinco de Mayo holiday is now popular across many ethnicities in the U.S. We have a large population of Mexican immigrants and their cultural influence has shifted American culture, just like the cultural influences of Germans, Polish, Irish and others deemed inferior or "different" before them (St. Patrick's Day is huge here, even though Irish were initially scorned by the xenophobes of their day like new immigrants are scorned by today's xenophobes.

Salsa is now the leading condiment over ketchup, and that's consumed by many white people. We also have strong Indian, Muslim, Taiwanese, and other influences in various parts of the country. Some areas are known for their incredible Korean food, for example, and Korean cultural amenities, and we all love the variety they bring to our lives.

America adapts to newcomers; that's always been our strength. This is a strength in a global society where boundaries are collapsing.
Case in point: this nonsense. These 8th grade social studies bromides are the extent of the average American's political awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I made a mistake in my prior post. I meant that a demographic change via "illegal" immigration is neither lawful nor natural. I have no problem with legal immigration in controlled and diversified numbers. It would no result in a huge demographic change but would contribute to the melting pot instead.
But it has resulted in huge demographic change, and contributes to nothing but Democrat voting roles and corporate profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 01:41 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You mean besides labeling everyone on the planet a racist bigot and resorting to violence? Aside from that they have no plan.
........ ....... ... ..

Old 09-08-2015, 01:45 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
The principles of the far right are basic common sense. Like wants to be with like. People choose to self-segregate with others similar to them.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:54 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
I like far right people actually.

They make much more sense than liberals.

Especially European far right is very educated.

UK is a good example.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Americans are brainwashed by the "Nation of Immigrants(TM)" mythos from cradle to grave. Essentially, they're taught to believe that they have no right to a homeland and no legitimate interests. Ironically, the vehicle for this is an "appeal to tradition" fallacy, delivered by the very people that hold tradition in highest disdain any other time.

Case in point: this nonsense. These 8th grade social studies bromides are the extent of the average American's political awareness.
Son, you want to make a point like an adult, then do it. You want to try and insult my intelligence, you're going to lose - and violate TOS.

Now, my point is we've always adapted our culture around newcomers. There's not a tradition that didn't come from an immigrant group. Try and name one. I'd be curious if others can think of some but I don't get why that's a bad thing.

Our entrepreneurial hustle as a culture evolved from an immigrant mindset, as did our healthy distrust of big government.

Even American football evolved from rugby and soccer. Lacrosse is probably our only truly native sport and that came from the people here before us.

I guess we can take credit for fast food, for better or worse, but I think of that more as a product like cars or computers rather than culture.

This ability to adapt will only serve us well in a globalized economy like we now have. Boundaries are collapsing rapidly with new technologies.

Last edited by Bluefly; 09-08-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 02:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The principles of the far right are basic common sense. Like wants to be with like. People choose to self-segregate with others similar to them.
So how do you seek to enforce this separation? Many people of different ethnicities but similsr socioeconomic status are drawn together.

People I know have married those of vastly different cultures but melded their backgrounds together.

I think some of you live in homogenous areas and aren't really part of the global culture that is naturally evolving, so you still see dramatic differences.

Of course we need to keep terrorists and their sympathizers away, but I'm not talking about that. People will always be influenced by those around them. You can't stop that unless you forbid mixing of races / ethnicities. I'm not sure you're suggesting that, though

Old 09-08-2015, 04:19 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post

But it has resulted in huge demographic change, and contributes to nothing but Democrat voting roles and corporate profits.
That's because too many were allowed in too soon and we have gotten away from diversity. Too many from one ethnic group does result in a demographic change as they colonize rather than assimilate. We need to get away from so much family reunifications on our soil also. We should be allowing in legal immigrants that will be a benefit to our country rather than a burden and that is only if we have jobs and resources for them without depleting those things from Americans while keeping population growth in mind also.

By the way, I totally agree with your first paragraph.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:53 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I am not touting anything. The video explains reality in this country. It is what it is... Anyway. I wrote that I live in a city with a white population under 30% so it's not a lily white community. According to the first quote above, I live in a "sh -thole of illegitimacy and illiteracy and horrendous crime rates." Yes, there are some pretty bad hoods in my city. I don't venture there. No reason and it is not particularly safe. Also, beautiful hoods. It's a city.

I have a feeling you guys live in a rural community and have probably never traveled more than 50 miles from home. It tends to make the outside world scary. If you have not, I highly recommend traveling outside your comfort zone. Have fun!!!
I live in the Dorchester section of Boston, it was rural in 1750, now, not so much. Look it up if you're not familiar with it.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I live in the Dorchester section of Boston, it was rural in 1750, now, not so much. Look it up if you're not familiar with it.
Oh yeah, I know Dorchester. It used to be a poor Black hood and certainly not rural. What's it like now? I had family that lived there in the 70's and 80's. Was not a safe area back then but I think it gentrified. I'm going to assume you are young now and don't know the history or your hood. Look forward to hearing what Dorchester is like today. It's been a long time for me... Cheers.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
This makes a good point:

moderator cut: image removed

EDIT: Damn, the auto-censor breaks the link

Last edited by Marka; 09-14-2015 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies