Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 06:11 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,125,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong my friend, the utopian dreamer is the one that tries to make everyone the same. the one that tries to show that everyone is equal and that the government is the solution to all our problems, and if we would only give ourselves over to our government masters an get rid of the destructive things in our lives can we move ahead as a society.

the realist is the one that realizes that no matter what you do, no matter what laws you make, no matter how hard you try, some one will always come around and screw things up for everyone. if anything we do not think the movies depict real life in any manner possible. for instance, there are many people who watch a movie, and think that when you shoot someone with a gun once, that they fall right away, and die soon after while choking on their own blood. and how many times in the movies have you seen someone get shot with a gun, and watch them fly backwards anywhere from a few feet to ten or more? do you really think THAT is real?

the fact is however that doesnt happen in real life, and if you had any knowledge about firearms what so ever, you would know things like that.

you need to get an education on a lot of things before you start trying to tell what a realist and a utopian dreamer is. perhaps when you grow up and move out of your moms basement and get some real life experience, you will learn these lessons.

absolutely right chucksnee, beb0p not everyone is an action hero like chuck norris. we all cant hit people hard enough to give their grandchildren headaches, we cant knock people into next week.

in fact may of us dont move like we did when we were youngsters like you. i wish i didnt have to be on dialysis, that does in fact take a lot out of a person, i wish that i didnt have to deal with anemia either, and its attendant problems. i also wish i didnt have to deal with high blood pressure, and its attendant problems as well. these problems along with kidneys that are running at about 8% efficiency means i have to deal with things like severe edema, for those that are lacking education that means retaining water, which means i have to be careful in the amount of liquids i drink each day.

so forgive us if we feel that our infirmities limit our movements, and that a firearm is a simple and effective means with which to defend ourselves with. there again beb0p, perhaps one days when you grow up, and get some life experience, you too will start to understand these things.

perhaps one day you too will understand that utopia does not exist, and while humans are imperfect, never will.
A realist looks around at the world and wonders how comes the rest of the developed world doesn't need a right to own a firearm.....

But, hey! Teh gunz makes one feel powerful!!!!!!!11!!!!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:16 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,233,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
A realist looks around at the world and wonders how comes the rest of the developed world doesn't need a right to own a firearm.....

But, hey! Teh gunz makes one feel powerful!!!!!!!11!!!!
We don't care. Try overturning the Second Amendment and you will see just how many of us don't care what the rest of the developed world does or doesn't do.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
We don't care. Try overturning the Second Amendment and you will see just how many of us don't care what the rest of the developed world does or doesn't do.
I know. Y'all would rather have your heads in the sand.

Let's just be clear, the 2nd amendment isn't useful anymore and you have no justification for it except it already being an amendment. You have no rational argument to keep the 2nd amendment just so we are clear.

I wonder though, if we take away all government benefits, including SS and Medicare that you paid into, would you give up your right to own a firearm. I bet y'all are all hat and no cattle.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I know. Y'all would rather have your heads in the sand.

Let's just be clear, the 2nd amendment isn't useful anymore and you have no justification for it except it already being an amendment. You have no rational argument to keep the 2nd amendment just so we are clear.

I wonder though, if we take away all government benefits, including SS and Medicare that you paid into, would you give up your right to own a firearm. I bet y'all are all hat and no cattle.
From a person who finds the right to an abortion clearly spelled out in the Constitution, which it is not, you are very eager to wipe out the very concisely worded Second Ammendment. Amazing. As to your question, how do you equate the right to own a firearm as a benefit? It is an ammendment to the Constitution. Social Security and Medicare were mandated by Congress, Roosevelt, and LBJ and are taken out of our paychecks involuntarily.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
From a person who finds the right to an abortion clearly spelled out in the Constitution, which it is not, you are very eager to wipe out the very concisely worded Second Ammendment. Amazing.
One doesn't have the "right" to an abortion, one has the right to choose according the court system who is supposed to determine constitutionality.

Quote:
As to your question, how do you equate the right to own a firearm as a benefit?
You misunderstood. I'm just wondering how many of y'all will continue to feel that way if we told y'all you'll have to pay for your own insurance and your own retirement.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
One doesn't have the "right" to an abortion, one has the right to choose according the court system who is supposed to determine constitutionality.

You misunderstood. I'm just wondering how many of y'all will continue to feel that way if we told y'all you'll have to pay for your own insurance and your own retirement.
I have always felt that Social Security was a disaster waiting to happen and if a person has no other savings or means of income in retirement they are setting themselves up for disaster. Medicare is a mess but they will never get rid of it either.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:01 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,243,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes, America and only America supplies Mexico with guns. Especially AK-47s, Mosins and HKs.

You didn't know that WE are the MAIN Suppler of the Mexican cartels?

Quote:
U.S. Is Arms Bazaar for Mexican Cartels

PHOENIX — The Mexican agents who moved in on a safe house full of drug dealers last May were not prepared for the fire power that greeted them.
Stories from Our Advertisers

When the shooting was over, eight agents were dead. Among the guns the police recovered was an assault rifle traced back across the border to a dingy gun store here called X-Caliber Guns.

Now, the owner, George Iknadosian, will go on trial on charges he sold hundreds of weapons, mostly AK-47 rifles, to smugglers, knowing they would send them to a drug cartel in the western state of Sinaloa. The guns helped fuel the gang warfare in which more than 6,000 Mexicans died last year.

Mexican authorities have long complained that American gun dealers are arming the cartels.

We had a direct pipeline from Iknadosian to the Sinaloa cartel,” said Thomas G. Mangan, a spokesman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Phoenix.

Drug gangs seek out guns in the United States because the gun-control laws are far tougher in Mexico.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us...ders.html?_r=0
Quote:
Made in Romania, reconfigured in Vermont with more lethal features, and marketed along the Southwest border, the WASR-10 has become the #1 gun recovered at Mexican crime scenes.

How Romanian AK-47s Fuel Mexico's Drug War - Gunrunners | FRONTLINE | PBS
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Convicted gun smuggler John Phillip Hernandez of Houston was likely not the kind of customer that Bushmaster Firearms International had in mind when he purchased 14 of the company's .223 caliber AR-15s at Houston area gun shops in 2006 and 2007.

Bushmaster describes the AR-15 rifle, a civilian version of the U.S. military's standard-issue M-16, as intended "for law enforcement, security and private consumer use." But the weapons that Hernandez and his associates purchased ended up in the hands of Mexican drug cartel pistoleros, including the Bushmaster .223 that was later used to kill four police officers and three secretaries in Acapulco

Borderland Beat: AK-47 favorite gun of cartels

Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I have always felt that Social Security was a disaster waiting to happen and if a person has no other savings or means of income in retirement they are setting themselves up for disaster.
LOL. Sure.

Quote:
Medicare is a mess but they will never get rid of it either.
LOL. Sure.

Perhaps you were just born in the wrong century too.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:53 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,477,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
A gun is not a security system. It's a weapon that you use in a fight, it has NO guarantee.

Gun nuts don't seem to get that.
Vaccines aren't 100% effective. Ban them for side effects. In fact ban all of medicine. And security systems aren't 100% effective either, ban that. Police officers need to be banned too. In fact we should ban everything, for the children.

BTW, a woman with a gun is 99.9% effective in stopping rape/sexual assault with a 0.0% reported chance of injury whereas an unarmed woman is 70% effective with a 40% chance of injury. That's about as statistically "guaranteed" as you can get. Further, the misuse of a firearm in the US currently sits at (roughly) 0.0882352941176471% if you took every negative gun interaction and every victim of a gun crime and assigned a separate weapons for each. Again, about as statistically "absolute" as your going to get.

Fun fact: more .22 ammo alone was sold in the US then medicine prescribed. (4b compared to 2.4/2.6b)

Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
LOL. Sure.

LOL. Sure.

Perhaps you were just born in the wrong century too.
I guess your "LOL sure" means you are relying on Social Security being there when you retire and you aren't saving a butt load of money or having another form of income to live on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies