Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

“We have to speak English well. If you can speak two or three languages, so much the better, but English is essential,” he told the National Council of the University Student Federation in an Aug. 29 speech in Havana.

Cuba’s government is suddenly very interested in encouraging proficiency in English - Quartz

Quartz I almost NEVER agree with. Not this time. Tho I def find it real interesting how Cuba's pushing English compared to French, Russian, Chinese or even Arabic. Maybe the commies know something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 02:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
They know that English is the global lingua franca and the world's largest economy is a mostly English speaking country only 90 miles from their shores.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
They know that English is the global lingua franca and the world's largest economy is a mostly English speaking country only 90 miles from their shores.
I second this.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
If Cuba wants to eventually get into global trade then English is imperative as that is the language of global business.

Only in the US do we not consider learning English important.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only in the US do we not consider learning English important.
And how ironic that a vast number of Cubans in Miami can't be bothered to learn English despite living in the United States.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:09 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
And how ironic that a vast number of Cubans in Miami can't be bothered to learn English despite living in the United States.
Their problem, not mine.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:10 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
“We have to speak English well. If you can speak two or three languages, so much the better, but English is essential,” he told the National Council of the University Student Federation in an Aug. 29 speech in Havana.

Cuba’s government is suddenly very interested in encouraging proficiency in English - Quartz

Quartz I almost NEVER agree with. Not this time. Tho I def find it real interesting how Cuba's pushing English compared to French, Russian, Chinese or even Arabic. Maybe the commies know something?
Most countries around the world choose English as a second language of study especially among the young. This isn't really news--if your first language isn't English, learning English is the easiest way to have access to the global economy of communicate with visitors. It's the same reason US, Canadian, British, or Australian college grads with no teaching background can easily score English teaching jobs all over the world

When Europeans or Latin Americans or Africans travel to Asian countries and don't know the local language they are almost always going to end up speaking English to communicate. Even when Japanese travel to China or vice versa, they might have to fall back on English to communicate to each other. The same is true all over the world--whereas if an Italian person or French person goes to Spain they might know enough Spanish to communicate, but if they go to Eastern Europe they'll most likely have to speak English.

With Canadians and Brits already visiting Cuba in large numbers and American tourist hordes in big numbers maybe only a couple years away, learning English is going to help the tourism industry that Cuba has been relying on more and more over the last 20 years.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
They know English, but they don't have to use it because the entire city speaks in Spanish. Hey, at least is not Arabic!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
They know English, but they don't have to use it because the entire city speaks in Spanish.
No they don't. I'm from Miami. Some of them have lived in the US for decades and still "No peeky Englee".

Old 09-15-2015, 09:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
No they don't. I'm from Miami. Some of them have lived in the US for decades and still "No peeky Englee".
Very common for immigrants unless they learned English in their home country.

My in laws, long gone, came from Eastern Europe in 1950. They lived, worked, paid taxes, became citizens and owned property without understanding or speaking a word of English after 50 years in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies