Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 09:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Great question. In NYC jaywalking was a summons. However if someone refused ID or you had reason to search someone and they tried to prevent it then yeah that person would be going in cuffs. Also this is California so I don't know what their procedure is regarding jaywalking. Also it may be a lot more than jaywalking. The vide picks up while the incident is already taking place. As far as the night stick coming out. I don't know what his training is. I also don't know what transpired before the vide started. I would also say he probably had reason to take the night stick out since there is a whole group of people there watching and videotaping him. So I don't think he would take it out unless he had reason or he was trained to do so. I am positive though that when he did have the stick out that 100% he was trained to retain that night stick. If that means striking someone to do so then that's what would have to be done.
There is no way to verify the whole story here without video. But between the witness statements and the police report, it seems to be a kid exiting a bus and walking to board another. He was not walking on the sidewalk but rather next to it, in the bus lane. At the point he was nearing the bus he was trying to board, the officer told him to get on the sidewalk. The kid replied with a curse word (perhaps some variant of F off?). The officer then grabbed the kid's arm. The kid was startled and pushed the officer's hand off his arm. The officer reached for his baton. The kid grabbed the baton as it was on the downswing and not soon after is the point which the video begins.

The person who taped it said the whole thing happened so fast it caught him (or her?) off guard, that's why they did not get the beginning.

Now of course the teen was being a knucklehead. But my question is, at the core of it, we expect dumb teens to be knuckleheads sometimes. But aren't officers trained not to escalate this kind of relatively petty situation into... well, this? It just seems so dumb.

It's like people get so caught up in defending policemen that we overlook when one is not doing his job well.

I think if a white-haired grandma told this policeman to F off and pushed his hand off her arm it would be more jarring to imagine him swinging a baton on Granny then 9 officers taking her down. LOL. I don't know if the conversation would be all about the ornery granny's non-compliance then, you know?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Boy something is going to boil over for sure if they don't get a handle on this stuff.

Nine cops to take down a 16 year old for simply not jumping to a cop's tune.

Teen Boy Beaten With Baton, Swarmed by Nine Cops … for Jaywalking | Filming Cops
Interesting how your thread title throws race into it. I guess you are just hoping for more posts/views by trying to stoke racial animus.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:10 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,301,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
There is no way to verify the whole story here without video. But between the witness statements and the police report, it seems to be a kid exiting a bus and walking to board another. He was not walking on the sidewalk but rather next to it, in the bus lane. At the point he was nearing the bus he was trying to board, the officer told him to get on the sidewalk. The kid replied with a curse word (perhaps some variant of F off?). The officer then grabbed the kid's arm. The kid was startled and pushed the officer's hand off his arm. The officer reached for his baton. The kid grabbed the baton as it was on the downswing and not soon after is the point which the video begins.

The person who taped it said the whole thing happened so fast it caught him (or her?) off guard, that's why they did not get the beginning.

Now of course the teen was being a knucklehead. But my question is, at the core of it, we expect dumb teens to be knuckleheads sometimes. But aren't officers trained not to escalate this kind of relatively petty situation into... well, this? It just seems so dumb.

It's like people get so caught up in defending policemen that we overlook when one is not doing his job well.

I think if a white-haired grandma told this policeman to F off and pushed his hand off her arm it would be more jarring to imagine him swinging a baton on Granny then 9 officers taking her down. LOL. I don't know if the conversation would be all about the ornery granny's non-compliance then, you know?
Well one of the problems is no matter what the cops do it will never be good enough. Again you have to look at what the PD's procedures are. You have to look what his training is. Finally the kid is resisting. If he didn't resist there would not even be any conversation at all.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times
Kid resisted and did not follow orders..
The police have to protect themselves from the possibility that
someone could pull a gun or knife out of their coat or pants at anytime...

They should have arrested the loud mouth woman cursing at the police...

Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,595,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I think the problem with the youth is they have no respect for, well, really anyone. Kids in school now are crazy. Kids used to be obedient. If they disobeyed they got slapped on the wrist by the teacher, and then went home and got a belt. Now they get told to sit down by a teacher and their mother walks in and yells at the teacher. Kids think they can do whatever they want.

This BLACK kid wasn't hit with a baton because he was BLACK. He hit because he was resisting arrest. We're just as bad as the media throwing keywords around to incite arguments. That's what this whole country is now, us vs them. It's not Red, White, and Blue. It's Red vs Blue and White vs Black.
It's civilization vs. anarchy ...

Old 09-18-2015, 10:29 PM

50,843 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
there we go debating things again....no debating....a LEO tells you to do something....the only 2 words out of your mouth should be "yes sir/maam" and you follow their rules and OBEY
Hey, I'm not saying the kid acted wisely.

But he's a kid. They're adults. It was unnecessary on both sides, but the adults are supposed to act like adults, not bullies.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
Is anyone planning on mentioning that the kid grabbed the officer's baton with the apparent intent of striking the officer with it?

Or will that interfere with the set narrative?

Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Ok this is where we differ. First off watch the video. The kid grabs the PO's nightstick. Sorry if you grab a cops nightstick you are going to get hit every time. If its 2 cops or 100 cops it makes no difference. You are making someone comply. Also that prevents further injury or force. Lastly to your above comment about being a principal. While I respect the fact that you worked in the school system never forget the schools and the police are completely different. As an educator you are not placing someone under arrest.
I watched the video.

The billy club was unneeded in the situation...unless the cop is a sissy.

Let's see, hitting a kid in the face with a billy club "prevents further injury". Except then they had to throw him on the ground. So you're wrong.

And as a police officer, you don't know how to handle a kid.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
I think the problem with the youth is they have no respect for, well, really anyone. Kids in school now are crazy. Kids used to be obedient. If they disobeyed they got slapped on the wrist by the teacher, and then went home and got a belt. Now they get told to sit down by a teacher and their mother walks in and yells at the teacher. Kids think they can do whatever they want.

This BLACK kid wasn't hit with a baton because he was BLACK. He hit because he was resisting arrest. We're just as bad as the media throwing keywords around to incite arguments. That's what this whole country is now, us vs them. It's not Red, White, and Blue. It's Red vs Blue and White vs Black.
Shutout, did you ever jay walk? Yes or no? If you ever did, you're a thug based on the definition used by those on this site who constantly excuse virtually all police behavior.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The police have to protect themselves from the possibility that
someone could pull a gun or knife out of their coat or pants at anytime...

I knew someone would bring up that old chestnut. That has nothing to do with this case. NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies