Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
People may not agree with Dr. Carson and that's fine. Opinions are allowed in our country. But I challenge everyone to read his book, Gifted Hands: the Ben Carson Story.

Agree with him/don't agree with him: the dude is a total brain. His mom -- the true hero in my book -- was the youngest of like 22 kids. Illiterate. Her two boys were doing poorly in school (they lived in a rundown, very poor area. She worked as a maid). She prayed to God about it and he told her to turn off the TV. That cracked me up.

Then she made him do something like three book reports a week and made him read them to her. Sneakily. She never let on that she couldn't read.

As a kid he was told he was "dumb" and the "dumbest kid in the world." For years he belived it. Then someting sparked his intelligence and eventually he ended up in Yale.

Then a brain surgeon separating conjoined twins (connected at the brain) at Johns Hopkins in MD.

Don't agree w/ his politics -- that's fine. But, man, is this guy a smart, loving person. Super high character.

Alley
he may be a gifted surgeon but pandering to the religious right and ignoring the Constitution shows that he is not ready to be the president.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
he may be a gifted surgeon but pandering to the religious right and ignoring the Constitution shows that he is not ready to be the president.
If he were doing those things, you might have a point. But he is not. He is simply stating an opinion shared by many people whose views are neither religious nor right-wing. Neither does his expression of his opinion "ignore the Constitution": on the contrary, the First Amendment explicity guarantees the right of freedom of speech to all Americans -- including Dr. Carson.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:30 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I don't think he's pandering to the religious right, I think he honestly believes what he's saying. You may not agree with him but that doesn't mean it is disingenuous on his part.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Here's what I recently posted on another thread regarding Muslims:

"It may not be right, but after 9/11 many Americans don't trust Muslims. No matter how much they know it's wrong, they just can't. We have generations of Americans now who will distrust a whole religion and a variety of ethnic groups. And I have a hard time judging my fellow Americans for their judgment.

It is what it is. It's terrible, but it's only natural IMHO to have that distrust and trepidation after what happened to us - yes, at the hand of an extremist few, but now with a group like ISIS becoming powerful and spreading hate and threatening, again - what do you expect? It sucks for all the good Muslims who have never and never will do wrong or have hate. But it is what it is."

I believe this goes for this subject, as well. I imagine this distrust will take years to disappear.

The West and Islam just don't get along right now. Fact.
I wouldn't say that "the west and Islam" don't get along, when one side is intent to kill the other. If it were up to the west, we would leave Islam and all other religions alone. The problems do not arise from the west. The west is not out to terrorize and kill Islamists.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wouldn't say that "the west and Islam" don't get along, when one side is intent to kill the other. If it were up to the west, we would leave Islam and all other religions alone. The problems do not arise from the west. The west is not out to terrorize and kill Islamists.
I 100% agree. Sorry if I made it seem like they share equal blame, that was not my intention. What I meant was there are fundamental differences in ideology and thought and even without considering the extremists are out to kill us, we don't get along at the most basic levels at this point in time. But you are right. There is a serious issue with a whole group of people wanting to wage war on the West.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:41 PM

80 posts, read 67,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
For every "quote" you've dispensed here, I can come up with a greater number reflecting the Founding Fathers belief in God. You can also look into what is written in our founding documents and easily see that a belief was prevalent and in the forefront.
Lol love how you were owned. You were saying?

Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 PM

233 posts, read 250,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
There's a difference between believing in God and believing religion should play a role in governing. For instance, as a Catholic I believe in God but I do not really practice my religion. I also firmly believe that religion should be kept out of politics. It's a personal matter.
Tujuleez1 is on a crusade to convince people that religion was not part of our founders decision making in regard to our Constitution. I was responding to that assertion. He's obviously of the camp that they were pretty much a bunch of atheists. That's simply not true and religion...specifically Christianity, had a lot to do with what decisions and thought processes they made. And yes, no state sponsored religion was to be established...as was similarly done in England. But that didn't mean that religion, and governmental decisions, were restricted from being made because they originated from a Judeo-Christian source.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:14 PM

773 posts, read 787,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
For every "quote" you've dispensed here, I can come up with a greater number reflecting the Founding Fathers belief in God. You can also look into what is written in our founding documents and easily see that a belief was prevalent and in the forefront.
Some of the Founding Fathers were Deist, some were Atheist. Irregardless of that fact, there are claims often made that the United States was founded as a Christian country. That is simply not true.

The country was founded on religious freedom and that means the right to practice any faith you wish or no faith at all. The idea anyone running for President of the United States should state the office can only be held by someone of a particular faith flies in the face of our Constitution. That person should NOT be considered for ANY political office. Anyone who would deny any citizen of this country their Constitutional rights is not fit for public office.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:19 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's time for an atheist president & congress. Religion has nothing to do with governing.
It certainly shouldn't!

So how would the religious/religious lite vote if we had 2 atheist's running for office in the 2 major parties?

Guessing an independent would sprout up pretty quick to fill the "void".

Old 09-20-2015, 01:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
It's time for an atheist president & congress. Religion has nothing to do with governing.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies