Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:58 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,430,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Political correctness is an orchestrated plan (developed by Stalin) to kill free speech. Given that liberals are totalitarians at heart, they love political correctness. Conservatives, who favor common sense and individual liberties, oppose it.
How was John McCain being politically correct when he said Obama isn't an Arab? Was that part of Stalin's plan?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Another divisive thread which blames the very people under a PC siege by the left.

Progressives are nothing but the hypocrite bully on the playground who start fights and then blame their victims.

Example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The joke isn't "political correctness" the joke is the conservatives being so obsessed with it.
The simple cure is for progressives to stop being so anal about everyone needing to be PC in the first place. Common sense isn't a strong point for ideologues though.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:00 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Political correctness is the idea that some opinions are not just different, unpopular or even unpalatable but also wrong in all cases.

The irony is that you claim conservatives use political correctness as a convenient escape hatch to avoid defending a position that you allege cannot defended when it is political correctness itself that deems certain opinions inherently wrong and therefore indefensible.
Political correctness is a vehicle used by bullies, to disparage, humiliate and destroy people's character, plain and simple.

The people in the PC movement take any simple, common or innocuous phrase, which have multiple meanings depending upon the context in which the person using it intends it to be applied, and the PC Nazis twist it, so that the very worst, most vile meaning is always assumed to be used in all circumstances.

I'm not "concerned with political correctness" I am opposed to bullying. I'm opposed to trumped up character assaults against innocent people. I'm opposed to creating a culture where the general public couches their words out of fear they will be unfairly attacked, and demonized by bullies.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
Whatever happened to:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

???????

Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Political correctness is the idea that some opinions are not just different, unpopular or even unpalatable but also wrong in all cases.

The irony is that you claim conservatives use political correctness as a convenient escape hatch to avoid defending a position that you allege cannot defended when it is political correctness itself that deems certain opinions inherently wrong and therefore indefensible.
When someone says women are asking to be abused, that all blacks are lazy criminals, or all Muslims are terrorist sympathizers (all of which I've seen regularly on here), those opinions are inherently, objectively, and indefensibly wrong.

I think liberals take it too far, like with Michael Brown in Ferguson, but generally speaking treating disenfranchised people with respect as individuals and with the freedom to be themselves shouldn't be a liberal position. It should be conservative but conservatives have positioned themselves to defend the white patriarchy above all else.

Not all opinions are valid.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Political correctness is the ability of a right-wing white male to say what he wants without consequences. That's it in a nutshell. They can't say n*gger on TV and are mad that they can't.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Whatever happened to:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

???????

It has become; "I disapprove of what you say, so I will bash and berate you into submission"

It's the us verses them caveman mentality we have spiraled into, all while these people pat themselves on the back for being so smart and progressive in their thought process. This is why SSRI prescriptions have quadrupled in the last decade. We're raising a generation of home bound schizoids who only connect online with other like minded home bound schizoids.

...and there it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Political correctness is the ability of a right-wing white male to say what he wants without consequences. That's it in a nutshell. They can't say n*gger on TV and are mad that they can't.
Dumbest post of the day, so far

Old 09-24-2015, 09:15 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
John McCain said Obama isn't an Arab. How is that untrue?
That is not a politically correct statement. That is just the fact of the matter. A politically correct (and thereby always incorrect) statement would be "Islam is a religion of peace."

Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That is not a politically correct statement. That is just the fact of the matter. A politically correct (and thereby always incorrect) statement would be "Islam is a religion of peace."
That is the exact problem with being "politically correct" ... it's impossible simply because every person has their own idea of what is and isn't correct; the notion that one can be is flawed from the start.

Political Correctness is really just another candy coated phrase for suppressing free speech, and even more sinister, free thought. Not only can we not say what we think, but we can't even think it in the first place.

I seem to remember something about this... but I can't place... OH YEA
brain·wash
verb
past tense: brainwashed; past participle: brainwashed
make (someone) adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

see also brain chemistry, radical education theory

Last edited by steven_h; 09-24-2015 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That is the exact problem with being "politically correct" ... it's impossible simply because every person has their own idea of what is and isn't correct; the notion that one can be is flawed from the start.
To be politically correct, it has to be something that is false or untrue. When accurate speech is censored by the collective and disallowed in Universities to be said and harshly punished, it's Politically Incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies