Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:52 AM

14 posts, read 6,385 times

Advertisements

Stewart Lee's stand up about "Political correctness gone mad" is still the best

"you can't even write a racial abuse in excrement on a car anymore without the political correct brigade jumping down your throat"

haha

Old 09-24-2015, 11:01 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Political correctness is the idea that some opinions are not just different, unpopular or even unpalatable but also wrong in all cases.

The irony is that you claim conservatives use political correctness as a convenient escape hatch to avoid defending a position that you allege cannot defended when it is political correctness itself that deems certain opinions inherently wrong and therefore indefensible.
a better explanation of political correctness

Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Political Correctness is a philosophy that believes it's possible to pick up a turd from the clean end.
You equate treating people with respect alongside picking up a turd?

When did our nation lose its moral foundations and drift so far?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am very tired of reading all the stereotyping that takes place on threads like these, from both liberals and conservatives.

I am a moderate who is liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Yet because I am an agnostic and a pacifist, many "conservatives" would label me as a "*******" -- and because I am against illegal immigration and think that people should learn (eventually) to speak English if they are going to live in the U.S., many "liberals" would label me as a Neanderthal racist (even though I absolutely despise people who judge and hate others based solely on their ancestry).
Being a social liberal, military moderate (peace through intimidation) and a fiscal conservative Libertarian... in any given thread I'll be called a ******* and RWNJ, sometimes on the same page! It's hilarious to see these people try to put a reasonable thought to text, much less have a rational discourse. It's simply asking far too much to expect any form of moderate thought from the fringe crowd.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:49 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
a better explanation of political correctness
I like it, but in reality it only changes the phrase used, not the intent.

You simply can't regulate or force people to be respectful. I find the most disrespectful people to be the ones yelling about political correctness the loudest. Take, for example, the black lives matter ignoramuses who crash an event, climbing on a stage (EXP Bernie Sanders) and yell and scream absolute nonsense in the mic they didn't pay for.

You can't fix stupid.

One only needs to find the definition for "lack of empathy" to get a handle on the problem.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 AM

14 posts, read 6,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I like it, but in reality it only changes the phrase used, not the intent.

You simply can't regulate or force people to be respectful. I find the most disrespectful people to be the ones yelling about political correctness the loudest. Take, for example, the black lives matter ignoramuses who crash an event, climbing on a stage (EXP Bernie Sanders) and yell and scream absolute nonsense in the mic they didn't pay for.

You can't fix stupid.
No one's forcing anyone to do anything though

Old 09-24-2015, 11:59 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You equate treating people with respect alongside picking up a turd?

When did our nation lose its moral foundations and drift so far?

LOL! Once again you miss the point.

PC believes that even the most vile people and ideas have some merit. In fact, they should often be celebrated according to the PC Police.

PC thinking erodes moral clarity and clouds reason. It's totally deconstructionist and has little to no place in a rational society. And it has nothing whatsoever to do with civility. Social civility does not require PC to evolve.

It has nothing to do with disrespecting people. But you'll never understand that.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:20 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Being a social liberal, military moderate (peace through intimidation) and a fiscal conservative Libertarian... in any given thread I'll be called a ******* and RWNJ, sometimes on the same page! It's hilarious to see these people try to put a reasonable thought to text, much less have a rational discourse. It's simply asking far too much to expect any form of moderate thought from the fringe crowd.
Agreed. Though I will say the social cons are significantly more close minded and annoying.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:56 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
So because they have arguments that's called political correctness??

If you don't stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance the cons will claim that you hate America. Are they being politically correct? We're also accused of wanting to wipe out black people if we support Planned Parenthood
It has to do with how making claims of racism, or sexism, or xenophobia, or Islamophobia, or whatever else, tend to elicit an automatic emotional response which may or may not be justified. But even when it isn't justified, it still puts the person charged on the defensive.

Look at it like this, when the whole Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner thing was going on, the media came out rambling about how he/she was a "Hero". If you refused to agree that "she" is a hero, then they would try to attack you, calling you a bigot, homophobic, and hateful.

But why was Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner a hero exactly? Was "she" the first transgender in history? If "she" is a hero, isn't every transgender a hero?

What has actually happened, is that you are basically no longer allowed to criticize anything which isn't a CIS white male. On the other hand, you can criticize CIS white males(and CIS white females, as long as you aren't a CIS white male) with impunity. And if the CIS white male attempts to defend himself, you can just tell him to "check his privilege".

All someone has to do is claim a word offends them, and you are suddenly no longer allowed to use it.

This southpark episode explains it to some degree, in a humorous way.

Stunning and Brave - Full Episode - Season 19 - Ep 01 | South Park Studios

Reminds me also of the whole "illegal immigrant" thing. There are people who don't like the term illegal immigrant, and want people to stop using the term, and blast people who use it as bigots. The problem is, the term is simply correct, and really shouldn't be offensive to anyone. Plus, we have been using it for decades and no one cared until recently. It is just this stupid politically-correct culture where everyone is offended about absolutely everything, and most of it seems to be a kind of "faux outrage", some "righteous indignation" spewed by people with a chip on their shoulder.

And what is the cause? I blame democracy. When you have to pander to minorities for votes, your best-bet is to say the other party hates minorities. It isn't some big mystery how this stuff works.

To your second point, I actually agree with you. The Republicans do the same crap, just in different ways. And it pisses me off when they do it as well. Trust me, my facebook is mostly Republican(I'm from Oklahoma). I get spammed with their pledge of allegiance and national anthem bull**** nearly everyday. They cannot understand the simple fact, that having kindergarteners, pledging their allegiance to a flag, is a form of indoctrination/social-engineering. You really aren't capable of making any kinds of decisions before you are at least seven or eight. And honestly, more like twelve.

Experts warn starting school too young harms learning, wellbeing

If adults want to say the pledge, fine. But when exactly do these adults, who cheer on the indoctrination of youth, ever say the pledge? Other than when my nieces and nephews came home reciting it in my presence, and having me repeat it with them, I basically haven't said the damn thing since I was in high school(same goes with the alphabet song, and other crap like that).

I don't mind the pledge mind you, but I always feel like we must have a pretty insecure government, if it needs us to be constantly, and mindlessly pledging allegiance to it.

I used to make comments on facebook every time someone posted anything about the pledge or national anthem, but honestly, I've given up. They don't understand, or they just don't care.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 09-24-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 02:58 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Its' because cons have no sensitivity toward others + they love finding wedge issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies