Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
35% of people are on welfare in the US, if not just food stamps.

There are 6 million listed job openings in the US, but 120 million people without jobs. (and of those 6 million, many are not expected to be filled. They have ridic requirements like "looking for Bill Gates to work for $1 a year and save my drowning company")

I think I read a statistic that said the rate is 80% chance for you to be on welfare at some point in your life, if not just unemployment.

So.. that hot girl at the cash register? Probably on food stamps.
Hate people???????
so all political opposition is hate filled?????

The issue is with the inefficiency of the govenment to run the program with limited funds. The government institutionally cheats deserving welfare recipients out of their just due.

the welfare cheats are an acceptable loss to the government. This would be fine if it wasn't taxpayer money. It is the government who is the problem and deserves to be the focus of concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 02:56 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So why is it my responsibility to take care of these people?
Because you don't live in the United States of Iran, but America.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:57 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
71% of illegals get some kind of government handout.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:03 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Its easy to bag on poor people and tell them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. And to be fair there are a lot of turds taking I. Gov't assistance. To be fair there are a lot of hard working people on govt assistance. But the taxpayer spends a lot on leeches that aren't poor. Companies that pull in mega money, pay no taxes and make unheard of amounts of money often pay their workforce so little that they are eligible for assistance. To be clear, if you have a job and are still eligible for govt assistance, its the employer getting the handout, not the employee. Part of the reason for people abusing assistance is that employment is usually a joke and the paycheck is the punch line. We will never get large amounts of people off of assistance programs while the going wage is $8/hr. You want to get people off the dole? Make the people who are making historically unseen amounts of wealth to pay their workers a fair wage. I for one am sick of paying taxes so that WalMart can have cheap employment and make record profit. That profit they "earned" comes out of the pockets of the working class, not from "job creators" who not only pay no taxes, but get several times the tax dollars that welfare queens take in via food stamps

Old 09-25-2015, 07:24 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I don't think most "hate" those on welfare....but I do hate that we make it seem like a way of life....it's not, and shouldn't be! It should be a "hand up"....not a "hand out".

I had a nephew who worked the system...spent more time trying to get "free stuff" than he ever did at a legitimate job. That shouldn't happen or be allowed to be profitable. It's supposed to the a "stop-gap" thing....just a temporary help...not a lifetime thing!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
So if you think that people living on welfare have it good?
I worked for our local housing authority for 10 years. They have two choices for housing. They live in a privately owned dump where the roof leaks and air blows through the walls. Utilities cost more than their welfare check.
Or they can live in a public housing area, either apts. or small cottages. They can only have visitors when the authority allows it and only certain people can visit. Parking is strictly controlled, visitors may have to park a block or two away and walk in, even though there may be unused parking in front of the apt. you are visiting. Even though many of the people are handicapped, trash dumpsters may be a block away.
Even eating rice and/or potatoes, food stamps last 2-3 weeks. The rest of the month, they try to get food anywhere.
They can't afford good clothes for the kids and sometimes wash the clothes in the bathtub and hang them in the house to dry. They face the constant threat that if the kids go to school dirty or in torn clothes, they will be taken and put in foster homes, where they may be abused.
The kids can't participate in school activities, like band, sports etc. because of the participation fees. No school pictures because of the cost.
The only phone they can afford Is the little free phone with 250 minutes a month. They can't afford a car or cab fare, so anywhere they have to go, like getting groceries or going in for the mandatory reups, they have to beg for rides.
If a child gets sick at school and they can't go get them, they get a warning from DFS and a threat of loosing the children. Yep, those people have a wonderful life.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
71% of illegals get some kind of government handout.
Horrors. People who have passed through the birth canal getting aid. Food stamps. WIC. School lunch programs. Nothing upsets the far-right more then undocumented immigrants who are pro-life and give birth to kids who eat food.

Maybe you can tell them about Roe v Wade. An aborted child won't be drinking milk they didn't pay for.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So if you think that people living on welfare have it good?
I worked for our local housing authority for 10 years. They have two choices for housing. They live in a privately owned dump where the roof leaks and air blows through the walls. Utilities cost more than their welfare check.
Or they can live in a public housing area, either apts. or small cottages. They can only have visitors when the authority allows it and only certain people can visit. Parking is strictly controlled, visitors may have to park a block or two away and walk in, even though there may be unused parking in front of the apt. you are visiting. Even though many of the people are handicapped, trash dumpsters may be a block away.
Even eating rice and/or potatoes, food stamps last 2-3 weeks. The rest of the month, they try to get food anywhere.
They can't afford good clothes for the kids and sometimes wash the clothes in the bathtub and hang them in the house to dry. They face the constant threat that if the kids go to school dirty or in torn clothes, they will be taken and put in foster homes, where they may be abused.
The kids can't participate in school activities, like band, sports etc. because of the participation fees. No school pictures because of the cost.
The only phone they can afford Is the little free phone with 250 minutes a month. They can't afford a car or cab fare, so anywhere they have to go, like getting groceries or going in for the mandatory reups, they have to beg for rides.
If a child gets sick at school and they can't go get them, they get a warning from DFS and a threat of loosing the children. Yep, those people have a wonderful life.
Ok so help us understand. Why do these people accept it. You've described a life with no future, if you continue that way you die that way. It seems what you are advocating is for more hand out instead of working to earn a better life.

When you won't work, you lose that job experience. You got to build a resume. I've notice that people who have no job experience expect to start out at top dog wages.

Last edited by petch751; 09-25-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok so help us understand. Why do these people accept it. You've described a life with no potential, if you continue that way you die that way. It seems what you are advocating is for more hand out instead of working to earn a better life.

When you won't work, you lose that job experience. You got to build a resume. I've notice that people who have no job experience expect to start out at top dog wages.
Many of these people would like a job. They get just enough help to survive, but not enough to find a job. No transportation, no child care, no good work clothes. I know one young man who walks three miles to work part time at McDonalds. Once a year they give out food baskets here. One man, a single father, walked 5 miles one way pushing an old baby carriage to get food for Christmas dinner. He then pushed the full carriage 5 miles back.
We gave three families a ride to the food pickup last year. Some don't sign up because they have no way to go get it. The local food pantry is 2 miles from the apts.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many of these people would like a job. They get just enough help to survive, but not enough to find a job. No transportation, no child care, no good work clothes. I know one young man who walks three miles to work part time at McDonalds. Once a year they give out food baskets here. One man, a single father, walked 5 miles one way pushing an old baby carriage to get food for Christmas dinner. He then pushed the full carriage 5 miles back.

We gave three families a ride to the food pickup last year. Some don't sign up because they have no way to go get it. The local food pantry is 2 miles from the apts.
So no one within will help babysit? How about picking one within and the family do what they can to help them. I was one of them and managed to get together $300 to buy a heap of car to get me around. We've all seen where these kids have much nicer cars but they still don't go to work. I was surrounded by people with better attitudes, not hateful, not the entitlement attitude and that also makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies