Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:06 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
With the exception of perhaps number 7 would have mitigated deaths , how would these rules have prevented the tragedy at Sandy Hook?
The comic tragedy of a televised drill? The tragedy of everyone believing what CNN told them? The tragedy that never happened?
The OR incident happened. Some claim something happened at SHES. It is up to them to provide proof something did.
Until then, nothing did.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Nothing in this life is 100% certain except one's eventual death …

But the harder we make it for ALL persons to have easy ready virtually unregulated access to guns guns guns and MORE guns and ammo (as at present), the harder it will be for guys like Adam Lanza to get them easily, if at all …

This isn't an ALL-or-NOTHING situation in which we passively accept the "perfect" as the enemy of the "good" (or even, simply "better") … and so just *shrug* our shoulders time after time after bloody time ...

Never existed.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:09 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
The comic tragedy of a televised drill? The tragedy of everyone believing what CNN told them? The tragedy that never happened?
The OR incident happened. Some claim something happened at SHES. It is up to them to provide proof something did.
Until then, nothing did.
Dude, get lost. Stop advocating for gun rights while espousing conspiracy theories.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 PM

402 posts, read 369,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
As we've had multiple campus shootings in in one week, the problem obviously is is that there are just too many of those good guys with guns.
Such intellectual dishonesty make it impossible to take some people seriously.

And anyway, the other "campus shooting" you refer to didn't actually happen on the college campus. So now just because it's "near" a campus makes it a "campus shooting?" Please.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:17 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Wow.

Sorry everyone. I take full responsibility for this turning back to an insult match. Completely jinxed it.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
There are two sides to every story. Guns: Some want to do away with all guns, and others want no gun regulations.

I grew up with guns around, and we did not go around killing people.

My paternal grandfather taught me to shoot. He had me proficient with all types of guns, from rifles to pistols, by the time I was 12. He taught me go shoot from the hip, and up to 50 feet, I could hit a small target either a rifle from the shoulder or the hip. And pistols, I would hit what I wanted to. My grandfathers history was growing up on a ranch in Montana. By the time he was 16, the family would give him a saddle bag of gold coins, and with his crew of hard case cowboys all very proficient with guns go down to Mexico and buy a herd of cattle, and drive them back to Montana. You did not do things like that, unless you were fast and deadly with a gun. My grandfather was involved in the Montana Cattle wars in the late 1800s, and gave it up when he met my grandmother an army nurse at a fort and she made him promise to marry him on the condition he gave up the guns, and move to California and start over.

Just because I am good with guns, does not mean I had to get in a gun fight or shoot people. I was taught they were a tool, to be used as needed. Let a pack of town dogs come up to the ranch and start chasing cattle and injuring them, it was my job if home to get out a long range flat shooting rifle, and kill all of them. This happened several times, with 2 to 12 dogs in a pack. The dog owners got real mad, that I had shot their dog. They were especially angry that the county sheriff would notify them, and give them a summons for letting the dog run wild in a pack, and get even madder when they were told to pay for any damage they did to our cattle and other live stock by the judge in addition to the fine for letting the animals run lose and injure other animals. A couple were told they would not pay me a dime as I had killed their dog. The judge told them to pay, or go to jail and remain there until we were paid. They could have the choice of which it would be.

Kinds of damage. A couple of times they injured a cow so badly, they had to be put down, and they had to pay for a cow. One time a 3 year old heifer that I had bought at the county fair with all my prize money, that was worth in today's dollars about $4,000. A dog bit her tail off, and she suddenly was worth about $500 in today's dollars. She could no longer be shown, and losing her champion rating, she lost most of her value. The dog owners could not really understand how the loss of her tail, reduced her so much in value but the judge sure did.

If someone wants to commit mass murders, they don't need guns to do it. Look at the Boston Bomber as an example. How about the suicide vests that terrorists use. If you want to kill someone, how about a bow and arrow, or a home made zip gun, which kids often make. Explosives are easy to get, or even to make. Black powder only takes charcoal and a couple other easily acquired ingredients, which anyone with any knowledge of high school chemistry can make. I know some of us made some as an experiment when taking high school chemistry. And that was back before the Internet where anyone can learn to make things like explosives. People are purposely killed with knives, axes, and even automobiles. If someone wants to kill people, there are lots of things beside guns that will do the job in every home.

It is not a gun problem, it is a people problem that kills people. But let it be done by guns, and the anti gun forces come out and scream to take away all guns. How come when someone is stabbed to death, they don't demand the government take away all knives. If someone kills someone with their car, why don't the yell take away all cars so it cannot happen again. Or when someone is killed by someone hanging them, why don't they demand we do away with all rope.

Guns are only one of the things that people kill people with, but guns are the only one the anti forces want to do away with.

WHY??????

Old 10-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
And foaming at the mouth, and paranoid of his own shadow, convinced everyone on the street is out to get him.

There's only one reason gun people are so against the idea of mental competency testing to get a gun: Most of them know they wouldn't pass!

It seems as every demolib is out to get him; especially those on this forum.

The real reason any who are pro 2A are against any of the lunacy gun grabbers toss out there? "Shall not infringe".

Gun grabbers wish to disarm everyone but want the criminal cops to have them, right?

Continue to be a tool of the left; they want total control and disarming the public is the only way they get it. Ask one from communist China or USSR what control is like and decide if you really want it.

There's Folgers brewing...smell it?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Holding all law abiding gun owners responsible for the fact that a crazy guy can get as many guns as he wants and walk onto any school, playground, mall or movie theater with them. Yes. Absolutely.

Hand over your car keys and all of your kitchen cutlery as they are used to commit homicides at alarming rates annually.

Prohibit tobacco and alcohol as people die from that as well. Demolish stairs and prohibit the further construction of more as people fall and get killed every day.

How far do you really want to take this? Do you want to go totally Orwellian or just delve into Rand's "Anthem"?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
LOL …

"Involuntary commitment of those with mental health issues" would mean the locked psych unit for around 30,000,000 Americans at any given time …

However, "mental health issues" are common in every society and nation … But it is only in America that they combine in such deadly fashion with easy ready virtually unrestricted access to guns guns guns and MORE guns and ammo …

Hmmm … Is there a pattern .. ???.

Yeah....Your record has a scratch in it and it keeps repeating.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:40 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I like the turn that this thread is taking, everyone seems so much more polite over the last few pages!

Contrast that to the first couple posts by many of us here. Hostile, aggressive and insulting. It's no wonder we weren't listening to eachother!
I confess, I was in a mood and felt like yanking some chains. And sometimes I like to throw things out there to see what people have to say about it.

I don't normally get in the middle of gun debates (you're welcome), because they're always too emotional and extreme and one rarely learns anything from anyone. But I admit, this one has been quite entertaining.

Peace, brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies