Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Army Traitor Bowe Bergdahl Go To Prison
Yes One Year 6 5.08%
Yes Five Years 10 8.47%
Yes Ten or More years 66 55.93%
No Prison 10 8.47%
No Prison. He already spent his time in hell. 11 9.32%
No Prison He's a hero. 5 4.24%
other 9 7.63%
not sure 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 05:42 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
He was crazy and nothing else really matters. Really?

"Gen. Dahl found that Bergdahl left his platoon without his firearm because, he said, he wanted to blend into his surroundings until he reached the larger base.

Gen. Dahl called Sgt. Bergdahl “very bright and very well-read" and fascinated by samurai warrior culture. He knew he would get into trouble for running away from his base, but he told Gen. Dahl that he felt compelled to do so at the time because he was concerned that his platoon was in danger from what he perceived as poor leadership."

General: Bergdahl doesn't deserve jail | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BLAME BLAME BLAME, BLAME EVERYBODY ELSE, JUST DON'T BLAME HIMSELF. WHAT A TOTAL LOSER THIS GUY IS.

The bolded from the Gen. Dahl sound like b.s. to me. First of all, samurai culture is all about LOYALTY and HONOR. You serve well for the people you are fighting for, if all else fail, you kill yourself in order to keep your honor (promise) What does samurai culture have anything to do with this case. If Bergdahl was a true samurai LOL, he should have done something else other than leaving his base (in my most humble opinion) I feel this Gen. was trying so hard in order to paint Bergdah as some kind of true warrior. Which is laughable to say the least.

Secondly, if he was "very bright and very well-read" then how could he possibly determine he was crazy? Based on what exactly?

Last but not the least, I feel this Gen. makes all the decisions. I mean, who does he think he is?

Are there any military laws?

In real life, I know couple of combat Marines who are now homeless because they received "bad paper". Obviously, I don't know what really happened, but The power dynamic between the officer corps and the enlisted corps is comparable to slave owners and slaves. The slave owners are treated like gods and literally dine on golden plates under golden chandeliers. They have total power over the lower class and destroy their underlings lives with the snap of a finger. They are trained to believe in their superiority and wear their arrogance on their sleeves. They are less accountable for their actions. They will get in far less trouble for committing the same crimes as enlisted troops if they get in trouble at all.

This Marine I know got bad paper I believe is because he didn't get along with his CO. Many people had drug problems, but he got singled out.

Well, I don't mean to post off topic messages, but Bergdahl seems to be treated like a God damn Hero from the beginning to now. The reason he received this special treatment is because he has people who want to protect him. Let's not pretend this is not the case. And now, we still have people like yourself defending him.

Desertion is about the worst thing you can do to your fellow combat buddies. I am not in the service, but this much I do know.

Just have no ideas why do you try so hard to defend a criminal? I mean most of these posts are yours, and you act like he was a tragic hero who experienced some kind of mental breakdown. How do you know this for sure?
I am not condoning what he did just looking at the facts as presented by the investigator, what else do we have.

Do you know anyone that deserted his post in a war zone and walked across a hostile area without a gun, my experience is they escape to a better place.

Do you know anyone that spent 5 years as a POW and was prosecuted. My opinion is this guy wasn't right in the head, the military justice system will decide the outcome, not us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 06:05 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am not condoning what he did just looking at the facts as presented by the investigator, what else do we have.

Do you know anyone that deserted his post in a war zone and walked across a hostile area without a gun, my experience is they escape to a better place.

Do you know anyone that spent 5 years as a POW and was prosecuted. My opinion is this guy wasn't right in the head, the military justice system will decide the outcome, not us.
I know two ex Marines who are now homeless because they have done something (in my opinion) very minor. My initial thought was "Holy crap, that is ALL you have done?!"

Be complete honest, if my ex Marine friends (maybe I should still call them former) (yes, I still consider them as my friends and they are very honorable combat Marines who served country in my eyes) received bad paper, and they don't even have benefits or basic medical care. (One was an orphan who doesn't even have a family to go back to.)

I can't see why Bergdahl doesn't "deserve" jail time.

He made his own decision.

The bolded is true, but even military justice system can be unfair. In my opinion. Many people experienced combat are not right in the head, I don't see anybody Cut them some slack.

Why Bergdahl is so special? Can I ask you?

I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY IS HE SO SPECIAL.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Do you know anyone that spent 5 years as a POW and was prosecuted. .
I like people who were not captured.

Are you saying Bergdahl is an honorable POW?!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I like people who were not captured.

Are you saying Bergdahl is an honorable POW?!
Not even close to McCain he brought this on himself, not honorable but he did suffer.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Not even close to McCain, not honorable but he did suffer.
You said

he spent 5 years as a POW and was prosecuted

No, How is he a POW? How do you know he didn't want to fight for the enemy? He said he was ashamed of being an American. He said the war was a total mistake.

You are still dodging my question, why is he so special? How come my friend got bad paper for minor drug use, (his life was totally ruined at age of 27) and this Bergdahl loser does not even deserve jail time?!

WHY?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
You said

No, How is he a POW? How do you know he didn't want to fight for the enemy? He said he was ashamed of being an American. He said the war was a total mistake.

You are still dodging my question, why is he so special? How come my friend got bad paper for minor drug use, (his life was totally ruined at age of 27) and this Bergdahl loser does not even deserve jail time?!

WHY?
Do you really think that Bergdahl's life hasn't been ruined?
Really?
REALLY?

Who the h*ll is EVER going to give that guy a decent job ever?
The guys' name is "mudd".

As far as "jail time" goes - he had FIVE YEARS of "jail time" that was a h*ll of a lot tougher than any jail anywhere in the U.S.

Maybe your friend got a rotten deal, but I seriously doubt that your friend would EVER want to changes places with Bergdahl.

Ken

Old 10-01-2015, 11:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Do you have access to all the interviews and reports, along with rules of military justice? Just because "you" have not seen something does not make it false. Not to mentions going off on a tangent to try to support your unverifiable claims.

Just wait for the courts decision, supposed to come down this month, and see what happens. Or maybe you think that just because you want a certain verdict it just has to be that verdict, justice to be ignored.
It has NOTHING to do with "what I want" - what part of that do you not understand?
It has to do with info about the report that was released in TESTIMONY. The info is already out there, from a source who's in a position to KNOW what the report says. This is after all the general who LED the investigation. Why the heck would anyone with any common sense not think that HE knows what is in the report?

So again, IF THAT INFO IS CORRECT - and it sounds like it IS, there's no point in sending the guy to jail (we've spent enough on him).

"San Antonio, Texas (CNN)The Army general who led the investigation into Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's actions in Afghanistan testified Friday that jail time would be "inappropriate" for the soldier captured and held five years by the Taliban.

Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl said he interviewed Bowe for a day and a half and "did not find any evidence to corroborate the reporting that Bergdahl was ... sympathetic to the Taliban."..."

General: Jail "inappropriate" for Bowe Bergdahl - CNNPolitics.com

Ken

Old 10-02-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Do you really think that Bergdahl's life hasn't been ruined?
Really?
REALLY?

Who the h*ll is EVER going to give that guy a decent job ever?
The guys' name is "mudd".

As far as "jail time" goes - he had FIVE YEARS of "jail time" that was a h*ll of a lot tougher than any jail anywhere in the U.S.

Maybe your friend got a rotten deal, but I seriously doubt that your friend would EVER want to changes places with Bergdahl.

Ken
Do you know what is right and what is wrong?

So whom do you think Bergdahl the "Hero" should blame? The army? Bush? Muslim? Who?

He has ONLY himself to blame.

He deserved what he got and then some, e.g. Jail time.

My friend is not a deserter. LOL Hello!!!!!

Old 10-02-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You said

WHY?
I can't comment on your friend but it's already been stated, he spent 5 years with the Taliban and is physically unfit for duty. It appears he sustained some injuries as a result of his captivity. How many deserters spend more than a year in prison, a rather large majority are just given a dishonorable discharge. What is the point in sending him to prison, I don't see the military sending him away.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
I can't comment on your friend but it's already been stated, he spent 5 years with the Taliban and is physically unfit for duty. It appears he sustained some injuries as a result of his captivity. How many deserters spend more than a year in prison, a rather large majority are just given a dishonorable discharge. What is the point in sending him to prison, I don't see the military sending him away.

As has been noted, many of the questions that keep being asked were answered at the hearing.
The testimony was pretty clear as to the extent of his injuries and the conditions of his captivity.

People called for a hearing and there was a hearing. Maybe there will be a full trial, maybe not.
The system by which our military decides guilt or innocence is operating as it should in this individual case.

Personally, I agree that sending him to jail would serve little purpose but whatever the court decides will hopefully be decided as a result of the testimony and not public opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies