Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Army Traitor Bowe Bergdahl Go To Prison
Yes One Year 6 5.08%
Yes Five Years 10 8.47%
Yes Ten or More years 66 55.93%
No Prison 10 8.47%
No Prison. He already spent his time in hell. 11 9.32%
No Prison He's a hero. 5 4.24%
other 9 7.63%
not sure 1 0.85%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I blame the negotiators for that deal, not him. I don't think that deserves the death penalty. At least he had the balls to join the military unlike all the big talkers stuffing their faces on their couch. Don't get me wrong, he should face some consequences, but wishing death upon him is ridiculous. He is an American who signed up to fight for our freedom. As long as he didn't fight with the enemy, he doesn't deserve to be threatened by his own people with death.
well,

Desertion carries a maximum punishment of dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay, and confinement of five years. For desertion during a time of war, however, the death penalty may be applied (at the discretion of the court-martial).

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...t+for+desertor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:25 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
My last comment was deleted for personal attack but the person I was responding to wasn't I guess I'm not allowed to respond to a person who says they would vote to kill one of our own for getting cold feet.

For those who wish he would get thr death sentence I hope you served in the military or are headed to an office to join now because while you are sitting in the comforts of home, he was out there serving his country. It was wrong for him to let his fear get the best of him and he should recieve some kind of punishment, but wishing the death penalty on him is ridiculous when you are sitting at home.
desertion is a serious violation of conduct and, again, to military personnel, the ultimate act of disloyalty and selfishness.

at least, most of us admit we don't have what it takes to serve in combat or in military. Unlike Bergdahl, a fake soldier whose sole purpose is to put everyone in jeopardy.

So what he served. Might just as well fight for the enemies.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
He got five high level taliban released; is that not giving aid and comfort to the enemy? Had he waited until he got Stateside to desert we wouldn't have had to give up these guys in a "prisoner swap".

Yes but he was the excuse for Obama to do want he wanted in releasing the five.

He wasn't on a Mission to free Bergdahl.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You think this will drag out for a year, we will see.

If not for the release of Guantanamo detainees this would be low level news.

By the way there will be other detainees released over the course of the next year and who knows some day it will be closed.

Actually, I have changed my mind. Bergdahl will be convicted prior to the next inauguration so as to give Obama a chance to pardon him, as one of Obamas last actions to spit in the face of the legal system.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
My last comment was deleted for personal attack but the person I was responding to wasn't I guess I'm not allowed to respond to a person who says they would vote to kill one of our own for getting cold feet.

For those who wish he would get thr death sentence I hope you served in the military or are headed to an office to join now because while you are sitting in the comforts of home, he was out there serving his country. It was wrong for him to let his fear get the best of him and he should recieve some kind of punishment, but wishing the death penalty on him is ridiculous when you are sitting at home.
Would you are to put forth your military credentials and service record to justify your position?

Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:

Cold feet? You're calling what he did, "cold feet". OK.

I served, Marine Corps infantry and many years in the Guard. He deserted. What he did was cowardly and treasonous and put many lives in danger (and some would argue caused deaths).

I don't think he'll get the death penalty. I don't think he needs to get the death penalty. Just BCD, take all rank, and no back pay (he was/is set to receive all back pay for the entire time he was "captive"). He gets nothing, no money, no rank, and no veteran benefits. That's enough.

Cold feet. Good lord.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, it's the obvious one. After Obama is out of office he'll be convicted of deserting.

5 terrorists for 1 deserter. We got the short end of that stick.
I wasn't aware that anyone was convicted of being a terrorist. Gimme an update if one of those 5 got convicted of that crime.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Did he actually join ISIS and fight? I thought he was just one of their prisoners? If that's true then it's completely different.
There is no evidence that he did anything but become a prisoner as of yet. He hasn't been convicted of a single crime.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I wasn't aware that anyone was convicted of being a terrorist. Gimme an update if one of those 5 got convicted of that crime.
Update, they are all five back in the middle east preparing to fight or actually already fighting.

Of course you don't want to believe this so it has to be republican lies (your usual defense for your ignorance).

PS - it is highly doubtful that their own comrades would convict them of anything after returning to aid them.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:22 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If he is found to be guilty of desertion, I am quite sure he will receive punishment. That is what we Americans do.
we americans wont be going and getting those 5 terrorists we let go... who are now likely engaged in plans to kill Americans...

do you deny that obama knew bergdal was a deserter when he traded for him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies