Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 AM

1,077 posts, read 872,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If you lay a hand on a law enforcement officer, you should not be surprised if it ends with you needing an ambulance and medical treatment. Assault on a police officer should be a death sentence for the perp if they are 18yrs old or above.

Where did this girl lay a hand on the officer?

After he tried to put her in a choke hold, her arms instinctively went up, is that laying a hand on him?

The girl is dead wrong for not doing as the teacher asked but his response to it was way too aggressive.

Thankfully she wasn't hurt or his ass would be in more trouble than he is right now. Maybe he needs to get a grip on his anger and his impulse to just throw someone's child to the ground as he did.

We as parents cannot do as this officer did, so why is it okay?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Since when were teachers/principals incapable of removing kids from the classroom? One of the problems with putting cops in schools is that some teachers abdicate their responsibility and turn every little incident over to cops who in all likelihood spent many more years dealing with felons than they ever did with a little girl who decided she wouldn't leave a classroom - chances are this cop wasn't even trained on how to deal with kids. That is not meant to indict all SRO's, some of them are great. In the city I worked in a female cop worked in the toughest school in the district, but she was amazingly skilled at defusing situations and not resorting to physical force.
Kind of like Michael Brown was just a "kid"? Good lord, she obviously exhibited behavior that necessitated calling the police. Then she physically assaulted the cop, apparently.

There's no amount of skill to deal with a grown woman who has decided that nobody is going to tell them what to do, and that the cops are racist scumbags that want to kill black people.

To answer your first question - they became incapable when lawsuits against ANYONE that disciplined little Jonny or Janie became rampant.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Sad that people are defending the SRO. The girl couldve been paralyzed. He's what, 3x bigger than she is, and he throws her (and the desk) to the ground like this is WWE.

"If you don't get up, you're suspended." "If you don't get up, you're expelled." "Get up or you don't graduate" etc. Give the student an ultimatum and let them decide their fate. No way should it have gotten that physical. The student should have complied, but this is excessive force in its birthday suit.

People crying about "respect authority!!!!"...but the authority isn't respecting us. What you fail to realize is that alot of cops and SRO's are doing this because they can. [MOD CUT]

A teacher can't paddle a student, but an SRO can drag a student around like a ragdoll. Okay. As a SC resident, this is the last thing we want, more negative "race" news. This is not our character.
Yea, the threat of not graduating was an option. Seriously? What about the other students? Don't they deserve a quiet and nonviolent place to learn?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post and reply

Old 10-28-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Kind of like Michael Brown was just a "kid"? Good lord, she obviously exhibited behavior that necessitated calling the police. Then she physically assaulted the cop, apparently.

There's no amount of skill to deal with a grown woman who has decided that nobody is going to tell them what to do, and that the cops are racist scumbags that want to kill black people.

To answer your first question - they became incapable when lawsuits against ANYONE that disciplined little Jonny or Janie became rampant.

Oh please she is not Michael Brown.

Where did she physically assault him? Please point it out.

As I wrote above if it's when he tried to put her in a choke hold, her arm instinctively went up to protect herself. Is that what you mean?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amythyst View Post
Where did this girl lay a hand on the officer?

After he tried to put her in a choke hold, her arms instinctively went up, is that laying a hand on him?

The girl is dead wrong for not doing as the teacher asked but his response to it was way too aggressive.

Thankfully she wasn't hurt or his ass would be in more trouble than he is right now. Maybe he needs to get a grip on his anger and his impulse to just throw someone's child to the ground as he did.

We as parents cannot do as this officer did, so why is it okay?
She punched him.

So, tell me. How should this have been handled? Short of physical intervention or tazing, how are you going to convince a grown woman to leave somewhere she doesn't want to leave? Obviously "hugging it out" wasn't working.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:08 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
She punched him.

So, tell me. How should this have been handled? Short of physical intervention or tazing, how are you going to convince a grown woman to leave somewhere she doesn't want to leave? Obviously "hugging it out" wasn't working.
Could you post a link to the video of her punching him? Because I saw that in none of them. I saw her arms flailing as she was being slammed backwards, that hardly constitutes as a "punch."

Old 10-28-2015, 07:09 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Honestly the police should be there to prevent violence. A kid using her cellphone and not listening to a teacher should not involve cops.

I didn't think so either but someone pointed out what do the teacher and vice principle supposed to do when they try and the student still won't budge? Call the school's 'resource officer' (the cop). I don't know that is for sure the right answer either. Why must a student have a cellphone in class anyways? I understand a need for a cellphone. Perhaps the question really should be why must the student pull their cellphone out DURING classroom instruction? Students should be in class to learn, not be engaged with multi media distractions. If the kids can't keep from pulling them out during class instruction/learning, what's the alternative?

I remember years ago, if we had anything in our hands other than notes and a writing instrument, the teacher would come up from behind and grab it and put it in their drawer until after class. Then, you could get it back, along with probably an extra assignment or something like that. There wasn't much balking about student rights then. As long as you got back what was important to you at the time, that's all we cared about.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:10 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can only tell you that in 33 years of teaching and administering, I never saw such violence in any of my schools.
In my school career as a student and later, teaching in a parish setting, I never had to deal with such defiance from a student (and later SUPPORT for the defiance from concerned adults) ...

Old 10-28-2015, 07:16 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
For all those folks saying they should have brought a counselor in to talk her out of her seat or they should have just removed the entire class and left her there, please do not ever complain that schools or teachers are failing to educate their students. This kind of stuff happening is why certain schools can't and won't improve. When one disruptive student can basically assure that 25-35 other kids do not have a proper learning environment so instruction doesn't happen that day, and you have 5-10 of those kids in every class, a year's worth of algebra suddenly becomes only a half a year or less of instruction. Even the best of teachers can only accomplish so much in that kind of environment.

Do you know who that is the most unfair to? Not the teacher or administrator, they are still going to get paid. Even the best of students can only learn new concepts if they are taught, so it is the 20-30 kids who would actually like to accomplish something in their life, but who we are relegating to a crappy education because of kids like this.

If something negative happens to the SRO as a result of this every kids in that school will now know there really, and truly, is nothing the school can do if you decide you don't want to do something or listen to your teacher or other authorities. There will be no authorities in their school.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:

The girl involved in the incident, who has not been identified, is hurting
mentally and physically, according to her attorney.

"She has a cast on her arm,'' attorney Todd Rutherford said on TODAY
Wednesday. "She had to go to the hospital last night and back to the doctor
today. She has injuries to her back, injuries to her neck, injuries to her
forehead and injuries to her arm."
New video emerges of S.C. officer body-slamming female student - TODAY.com

Quote:

Fields, according to Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, was acting in
response to the student, who was refusing to leave class.

"The student was told she was under arrest for disturbing school and
given instructions which she again refused," Lott said. "The video then shows
the student resisting and being arrested by the SRO."

The first two videos show Fields approaching the girl sitting at a
desk in a classroom. Fields grabs the girl's arm while putting his own arm
around the student's neck.

However, a third video from Instagram shows Fields try and pick the
female student out of her desk, but the student then hits the officer while he
brings the desk to the ground.

UPDATE: FBI to investigate cop who body-slammed high school girl - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies