Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 06:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
Be sure to pass the horsehair whip when you're done - I can't wait to get my daily dose of guilt for every wrong my country and ancestors have committed.

Because as we all know, the USA is the only country in the world whose military has killed an innocent.
So you prefer to look only at one side. My point was to show that the US is not altruistic. I prefer my politics with a dose of realism, not simply wrapped in a flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 10:17 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
Awful funny these goodballs sent out apologies once someone said ALL federal money would be cut off.

Arrest the idiots for treason and lock them up. End of story.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
I'm not sure why we should care... how many people live in Berkeley? I wish that there were some parallel "right wing town" that we could demonize every time their city council did something goofy, as right wingers currently do with "leftist" San Francisco and Berkely. Birmingham maybe used to be, but thanks to suburbanization it's mostly black Democrat voters, surrounded by suburban reactionaries. San Diego, maybe? Nah.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Awful funny these goodballs sent out apologies once someone said ALL federal money would be cut off.

Arrest the idiots for treason and lock them up. End of story.
When I heard about the apology, it made me think about the first few weeks of immigration marches when the marchers were carrying Mexican flags. When they realized their true colors and agenda were showing, they instantly changed to carrying US flags. I wish they would go back to Mexican flags, at least that was genuine as it would be for Berkeley to go back to chasing out the marines. Why be fake. It is insulting. How can we take them seriously when they flip flop around so obviously.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:59 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you prefer to look only at one side. My point was to show that the US is not altruistic. I prefer my politics with a dose of realism, not simply wrapped in a flag.
Politics with a dose of realism and a heapin'-helpin' of arrogance - how in the world did you come up with 'you prefer to look only at one side?' There are plenty of stories of altruism demonstrated by American soldiers that are stuck in this Middle Eastern mess. Perhaps you are speaking about the US government specifically - but there is much more that defines this country and its citizens. Those qualities may not always be tangible or newsworthy, but they're always there. And to say this doesn't mean that the US is so much better than other countries, but it sure as hell isn't any worse.

I don't know about you, but I have never been witness to war or participated in combat. Many of us on this forum have not. I have often wondered what that must be like - but because I probably won't find myself in either situation before I depart this planet, I will respectfully not dismiss the depth of that experience with cheap, heavy-handed philosophy. Nor can I, as an empathetic human being, discard what it must be like to be an innocent who has suffered in ways we'll never know.

I apologize for the snarky retort. I occassionally give in to the impulse. But the whole 'the US is crap' diatribe is beyond its prime. Apparently it hasn't done any good, hasn't created any positive change. Other than causing animosity among those who do not make the big decisions (except on election day), what good does it do? How do you convince others to at least consider your point of view as you belittle them at the same time?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Please tell me how my post was arrogant. Where did I say anything that you can interpret as "the US is crap" - I asked to look at both sides. You refer to my "cheap, heavy-handed philosophy" because I disagree with you and prefer reality to butterflies and flowers? I try to look at the US realistically, warts and all. There's a lot that needs to be changed; you can't change if you do not look at the issue (in this case country) in its entirety. I'm frustrated with the America, love it or leave it attitude. And the viewpoint that our killings aren't bad because of (insert your excuse here); and, our foreign policy isn't as bad because (again, insert your excuse).

Why would you wonder what it is like in combat?
Although I have not been in combat, I have been a member of and employed in/around the military community for over 30 years. I know and work with more than my share of physically, emotionally and spiritually wounded military members than to want to experience the hell that they have. I have seen the aftermath of war for many individuals.

US foreign policy, including the School of the Americas and incidences like the Mai Lai incident and cover-up, Abu Graib, and the attack of a sovereign nation, Iraq, force me to look at my country as the aggressor, not the savior of the world. Most countries do not insert themselves into the politics of other countries as does the US.

Are you saying that it is ok for the US to kill innocent people because other countries may do so as well? I prefer to hold my country to a higher standard than standards afforded to common thugs.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-09-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 02-09-2008, 09:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I'm not sure why we should care... how many people live in Berkeley? I wish that there were some parallel "right wing town" that we could demonize every time their city council did something goofy, as right wingers currently do with "leftist" San Francisco and Berkely. Birmingham maybe used to be, but thanks to suburbanization it's mostly black Democrat voters, surrounded by suburban reactionaries. San Diego, maybe? Nah.
You won'd find a comparable right-wing town. Conservatives have more class than to exhibit such breathtaking ingratitude.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
You won'd find a comparable right-wing town. Conservatives have more class than to exhibit such breathtaking ingratitude.
Unless it's to the Mexican immigrants propping up our economy and Social Security in preparation for the coming baby boomer retirement, or to the "evil unionized public school teachers sucking away our taxpayer money" who educate their kids, or the hands-on, low-wage laborers who help make our standard of living as high as it is... you may be thinking, "conservatives aren't like that you idiot," but that's only because, not living in Alabama, you probably don't have nearly as much experience as I do with "right wing towns."

Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
I think the Marines should leave, I also think all other forms of Military recruitment should leave. I also think the police should leave and the fire department and any other form of protection government run... if it gets funding from the state or government it should be pulled out.

Let Berkley live with that. I also think we should cut any further funding to them. If they are so high and mighty, let them stand on their laurels.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Unless it's to the Mexican immigrants propping up our economy and Social Security in preparation for the coming baby boomer retirement, or to the "evil unionized public school teachers sucking away our taxpayer money" who educate their kids, or the hands-on, low-wage laborers who help make our standard of living as high as it is... you may be thinking, "conservatives aren't like that you idiot," but that's only because, not living in Alabama, you probably don't have nearly as much experience as I do with "right wing towns."
1. I have never minimized the contribution of illegals to our economy. I am second to none in my excoriation of unscrupulous employers who exploit them. I do not criticize educators (I am one; my son is one; my other son will be one): I do, however, criticize the teachers unions which defend incompetence and siphon off funds meant for our children. Why don't you?

2. I've never called you an idiot. In print.

3. I'm sorry you live in Alabama and are subjected to political opinions which you find incongenial. I live in Washington state, which is politically kind of like Berkeley with snow, so I'm not happy with my situation either. But I know that if I drink enough, it becomes amusing. You ought to try it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies