Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 09:15 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times

Advertisements

Urbanlife78 and Ellis Bell

Both of you are confused about what makes up a nation's culture, which takes us back to my first post in this thread where I said, according to your definition, no country has a culture.

If you knew something of history and cultures, you would know that every civilized nation on earth has been influenced by the customs, traditions, beliefs, arts from other cultures around the world. Cultures constantly evolve.

It is irrelevant where any of them originated. When they are widespread throughout a nation, practiced and observed by the majority, they are part of that nation's culture.

You can make up your own definition, but don't expect the world to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Other than the U.S. turning from a John Wayne nation into a Caitlyn Jenner nation, not really.

Oh and we have a bunch of a-holes who think we should learn another language to accommodate an incoming immigrant group. Something that's never happened before.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 11-29-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 09:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Majority of Americans Feel Like 'Stranger in Own Country'

Do you feel like a stranger in your country?
I guess it depends where you live.

There are some days I feel I live in some other country when no one around me speaks English.
Here in Texas there are huge pockets of Hispanic people.

HD has all their merchandise showing the Spanish side as an example.

I can go just a bit further south and it all turns to English.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess it depends where you live.

There are some days I feel I live in some other country when no one around me speaks English.
Here in Texas there are huge pockets of Hispanic people.

HD has all their merchandise showing the Spanish side as an example.

I can go just a bit further south and it all turns to English.

Yet we are told that Hispanics are assimilating at a rapid rate in our country. Yeah, right. I know damned well that many if not most I encounter are not illegal aliens either.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet we are told that Hispanics are assimilating at a rapid rate in our country. Yeah, right. I know damned well that many if not most I encounter are not illegal aliens either.
LOL..more like we are assimilating with them and their customs

Cinco de Mayo as well as Dia de los Muertos are huge events in some school here.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where also share a language with any other country and person that speaks English. That doesn't amount to American Culture. Most people in Europe and much of the rest of the world is capable of speaking more than one language.

So if all you have for American Culture is that most Americans speak English, that is pretty weak culture.
What? Have you not read my four previous, multi-paragraphed responses? I've included MANY iron-clad arguments and examples you've simply chosen to ignore. My post about the English language was only an answer to your post to Old Glory telling him we have no national language. Also, languages are living reflections of the culture speaking them, which is why you have slang, colliquial terms, and the evolution of language into new ones. We're talking about national language as defined by the majority speaking that language from birth. Europeans being able to learn textbook English as a second language in school doesn't mean language and culture aren't inherently linked. Lol now you're just grasping at straws. It is clear you've never traveled outside the country, have never gotten to know any non-Americans living here, and refuse to look at all proof staring you in the face. What is American culrure? You're LIVING in it.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
And there is no national American Culture, and the primary language is from another country, then of course American English, which is a dialect and not a language.
Please don't make up your own facts. My linguistics professor would faint if she read this. American English is a language. Do you know what the definition of language is? Or dialect? That's like saying fruitcake is a cake but not a dessert.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
"IT will not be pretty"...you mean just because America will be more diverse and less white, the country will not be pretty?

The Christian pilgrims "fleeing persecution" are the only refugees in our recorded history who did a number on native americans. That slaughterfest is what we now celebrate as Thanksgiving

Old 11-29-2015, 11:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
American stereotype.
You do know two sides to the picture.......

OR

Old 11-29-2015, 12:28 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Please don't make up your own facts. My linguistics professor would faint if she read this. American English is a language. Do you know what the definition of language is? Or dialect? That's like saying fruitcake is a cake but not a dessert.
I assume your professor does not grasp the concept of mutual intelligibility.

Language
• English

Dialects
• British (Cockney, Sussex, Scots, Welsh, etc.)
• American (Northern, Southern, African-American, Southern Appalachian, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies