Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2015, 08:52 PM

285 posts, read 176,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Link to your claim that most people like multiculterism. We are not multi-cultural per se. We have an identifying culture with minority cultures living among us. There's nothing stopping those who don't like that from moving to another country. What does white have to do with it? This is about our culture not race.
I shouldn't have to link to a claim that I did not make. I said "many people like and embrace multiculturalism", not "most". Two different things.

But regardless, even Lawrence Auster (a conservative who wrote for The Social Contract journal) observed that multiculturalism "has become the ruling idea of America" (2004, p. 197) – despite his criticisms of it.

It does have something to do with it, to an extent. Come on now. Language was being discussed and you know that you would be far less likely to hear other languages in areas that are 90%+ white (or maybe I should have said non-Hispanic white).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Again, I said it was about foreign language babble everywhere that is rude, loud and obnoxious out in public. I couldn't care less the jist of the conversation between Jose and Maria.
But if they speak English loud and obnoxious out in public you are cool with that?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 PM

563 posts, read 523,953 times
Default loud...LOUD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
But if they speak English loud and obnoxious out in public you are cool with that?
You know, it is ok what level of volume people choose to converse with most of the time. Some people are just louder than others. I do not think it is to be obnoxious, it is just the way it is. I do not see the relevance of what language they are speaking, per se You make it seem like you are suggesting that speaking English in a loud voice, is some how worse than speaking a foreign language quietly. That seems rather absurd. Perhaps you prefer the sound of a foreign language, which is a personal preference. Say anything in French, and it sounds nice. But some languages are just ugly sounding. See, there is one of my personal opinions! See how that works?

Old 11-26-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
You know, it is ok what level of volume people choose to converse with most of the time. Some people are just louder than others. I do not think it is to be obnoxious, it is just the way it is. I do not see the relevance of what language they are speaking, per se You make it seem like you are suggesting that speaking English in a loud voice, is some how worse than speaking a foreign language quietly. That seems rather absurd. Perhaps you prefer the sound of a foreign language, which is a personal preference. Say anything in French, and it sounds nice. But some languages are just ugly sounding. See, there is one of my personal opinions! See how that works?
Actually I am suggesting that if someone isn't talking to you, it doesn't matter what language they are speaking. Though my opinion on this, I actually get annoyed with myself when I can't figure out what language someone is speaking, even if I don't know how to speak that language, because if I don't know it, it sounds like gibberish to me. Though that doesn't mean I am offended that they are speaking a different language.

Old seems to get upset when someone doesn't speak English for what I am guessing is eavesdropping reasons.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
I feel sorry for those people.

I definitely don't feel like a stranger. I'm right at home.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:10 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,056 times
Quote:
Again, I said it was about foreign language babble everywhere that is rude, loud and obnoxious out in public. I couldn't care less the jist of the conversation between Jose and Maria.
Did you ever consider that if you were travelling out and about and speaking your native language with your pals it would seem to be gibberish to eavesdroppers? Believe me, I've traveled widely, and many English speakers seem to be speaking gibberish to me because of translingual and accent variations. Even now, after having lived in the Deep South for several years, there are countless speakers of English that I can't understand on the first try, and an equal number of them that cannot, at first, understand my quickly and crisply pronounced northern consonants.

It would probably save you a bit of stress to quit taking other people's linguistic differences so personally and to stop listening to them so closely. You're not the audience for their speech, so it might be a good idea to quit demanding that you be among its members. I've been hearing different languages my whole life, and it's really nothing to get upset about.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Yes. Try living in DC or Miami. You won't hear English spoken half of the time and will see foreign looking families with 4 generations of people all wearing their traditional clothes walking around in public speaking a foreign language, bumping in to you, acting like you aren't there. No manners or common courtesy.
Just going anywhere in public you don't know what people are going to do, if they're going to steal from you, stand in your way and not move, plow in to you when they want to get in to your space, etc. driving there too and see people pull some bizarre traffic moves.

Sounds like those "snow birds" that come to Fl--

Old 11-27-2015, 06:54 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Did you ever consider that if you were travelling out and about and speaking your native language with your pals it would seem to be gibberish to eavesdroppers? Believe me, I've traveled widely, and many English speakers seem to be speaking gibberish to me because of translingual and accent variations. Even now, after having lived in the Deep South for several years, there are countless speakers of English that I can't understand on the first try, and an equal number of them that cannot, at first, understand my quickly and crisply pronounced northern consonants.

It would probably save you a bit of stress to quit taking other people's linguistic differences so personally and to stop listening to them so closely. You're not the audience for their speech, so it might be a good idea to quit demanding that you be among its members. I've been hearing different languages my whole life, and it's really nothing to get upset about.

How many times do I have to repeat that it is about those who live here (not tourists) speaking in a foreign language loudly and being rude to those who are in earshot of them before you guys get it? I do not intentionally "listen" you cannot help but hear it. I'm demanding that I be among their members? Where the hell are you getting that notion? If I were living in a foreign land I would be speaking their language in public or making sure that my native language wasn't being spoken by me loudly in a public place. I would keep it private. I can't speak for other English speakers in a foreign country but they'd be wrong also if they did the same thing. I'm not them and they aren't me. I am speaking from a personal point of view.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The American culture, migrated in from other countries. Many of our Christmas traditions were celebrated by Germany, interesting enough if one looks it up, and carried over by those who migrated into America centuries ago. Look up Apple Pie, Hot dogs and Baseball, (just a few ideas deemed as American) every tradition that America claims, came here from some other country, brought here by the very folks that arrived on ships at Ellis Isle. American culture is a mutt.

So which identifying culture do you suggest Americans live by or has lived by or had/has adopted as their own? French? German? Italian? uh Spanish? oh ... European? Which incorporates ... and Americans would like to retain what? ... The many different cultures that arrived here 250 years ago and kept coming and that helped to build this great nation.

The only culture that I see that can claim to be American are the Natives that were born here of this soil. (which would bring us to yet another issue)

So now lets see other issue is political ... the old R and D and let us not forget I. So white folks are R, black folks are D and I depicts? When in reality ethnicity does not depict which political party one will affiliate themselves with ... so now where are we with this, retention?

White European the decedents of those from 250 years ago by way of not having babies to multiply and continue the race (any one can look this up) are on their way out of existence. Not having babies is one factor the other is they are aging out, doesn't matter, evolution happens. (the planet is aging, warming and i have a theory, but not to speak of for here)

America, these great U.S. of A. states need to sustain themselves way into the future and if the trend continues that the decedents that came here are aging out and the replacement by birth is fewer than it takes to sustain economic gains (people are just so smart they stopped having babies, because no welfare babies oh my) one can forget about retaining identity culture that didn't exist in the first place.

If not for legal and illegal immigration how will America continue, economically? The foundation may be strong, but the house is old. It will take new carpenters trained ones to continue and the new carpenters, they are going to make some changes. They always do. A light fixture here, a counter top there and some pretty french doors.

Forget about being a stranger in your own country. If not for the new migration of people, there may not be a country in which to be a stranger in. Or we could turn miss lady liberty around, show the world her backside and let the walls fall where they land.

What do you think? To much or not enough?

The people that have been voted in to represent the interests of America, they are not dismissing the (pew reports) survey demographic population numbers but rather they utilize those numbers to make the decisions that are going to blow your hair back, and make people want to spit penny nails.

The only way to change the decisions, is to change our behaviors ... like any one can seriously do that.

We have an identifying culture and language. All others are just minority cultures living among us. "Out of many, ONE" not out of many, many. We were a melting pot. There were no native Americans. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else including the so-called native American's ancestors.

White Americans aren't producing babies? WTH are you talking about? They should keep up with many minorities who produce with wild abandon and live off the government teet? Our population should stabilize not increase. We were just fine as a nation of 200 million rather than the over 300 million we have today. There is a shortage of jobs and resources due to our blossoming population.

There is nothing wrong with legal immigration in reasonable numbers. How can you possibly defend illegal immigration though?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
How many times do I have to repeat that it is about those who live here (not tourists) speaking in a foreign language loudly and being rude to those who are in earshot of them before you guys get it? I do not intentionally "listen" you cannot help but hear it. I'm demanding that I be among their members? Where the hell are you getting that notion? If I were living in a foreign land I would be speaking their language in public or making sure that my native language wasn't being spoken by me loudly in a public place. I would keep it private. I can't speak for other English speakers in a foreign country but they'd be wrong also if they did the same thing. I'm not them and they aren't me. I am speaking from a personal point of view.
Yes, we get it, you want to be able to understand what people who are not talking to you are saying, so that you could listen to their conversation if you want. Maybe if you don't understand what people are saying around you, but not to you, maybe it is time for you to either learn a new language or move to a place that is full of like minded English speakers with no one that is from another country around you.

If someone wishes to speak French to someone who also speaks French, that is an acceptable practice in thus country, even if you don't understand French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies