Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Did you write a paper refuting American culture scholars? If you have, I am not afraid of reading it. My guess is no because you don't even know what they say. You have no counterargument until you know what you are countering.

If you don't know how to search for .edu scholarly articles, or for college websites that offer American culture courses, why not just say so? Are you capable of finding links that will teach you how to search?

It has been amusing to see how long you will remain willfully ignorant in your belief. I guess you will have to take up your argument with Academia, but it will not be met with as much amusement. Good luck.
Who is this "they" you speak of? Though I am not the one trying to claim there is some sort of universal American culture that is gonna be the same in Oregon as it is in Georgia.

So, I am still waiting for you to back up your claim, and no I am not going to do your work for you, nor am I gonna go on any wild goose chase to prove you wrong on something you have yet to provide any factual information on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How many times do I have to repeat that it is about those who live here (not tourists) speaking in a foreign language loudly and being rude to those who are in earshot of them before you guys get it? I do not intentionally "listen" you cannot help but hear it. I'm demanding that I be among their members? Where the hell are you getting that notion? If I were living in a foreign land I would be speaking their language in public or making sure that my native language wasn't being spoken by me loudly in a public place. I would keep it private. I can't speak for other English speakers in a foreign country but they'd be wrong also if they did the same thing. I'm not them and they aren't me. I am speaking from a personal point of view.
You have no idea who lives here or who is visiting here. As for you speaking english in a foreign country, you're doing it in public, just like those you're complaining about. In other words, quit complaining.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:57 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who is this "they" you speak of? Though I am not the one trying to claim there is some sort of universal American culture that is gonna be the same in Oregon as it is in Georgia.

So, I am still waiting for you to back up your claim, and no I am not going to do your work for you, nor am I gonna go on any wild goose chase to prove you wrong on something you have yet to provide any factual information on.
You seem to be very proud of your anti-intellectualism. There is no work for me to do. It is up to you to refute Academia, but the fear of encountering facts that contradict your belief system has crippled you.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:58 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Again, I said it was about foreign language babble everywhere that is rude, loud and obnoxious out in public. I couldn't care less the jist of the conversation between Jose and Maria.
If the "babble" is breaking sound ordinances, then there are things that can be done about it. Otherwise, it's just crowd noise, and your only option is to stay away.

Why do you think that anyone should care about your personal pique?

Old 11-27-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You seem to be very proud of your anti-intellectualism. There is no work for me to do. It is up to you to refute Academia, but the fear of encountering facts that contradict your belief system has crippled you.
What academia are you referring to? There is nothing to refute because you have presented ZERO evidence to be refuted. Basically you are just upset that I am not blindly agreeing with you. I guess I have been to enough of this country to know there is no such thing as American culture.

So let me know when you wish to present these "facts" you keep mentioning.....I would love to see them....

Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What academia are you referring to? There is nothing to refute because you have presented ZERO evidence to be refuted. Basically you are just upset that I am not blindly agreeing with you. I guess I have been to enough of this country to know there is no such thing as American culture.

So let me know when you wish to present these "facts" you keep mentioning.....I would love to see them....
How much longer must we wait for your refutation of American Culture academic scholars?

If you start looking now, you might be able to register for an American Culture college course for the upcoming semester.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:40 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,569,361 times
Quote:
How much longer must we wait for your refutation of American Culture academic scholars?

If you start looking now, you might be able to register for an American Culture college course for the upcoming semester.
Maybe you mentioned this already but what is your idea of american culture?

Old 11-27-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:

As long as it takes you to link to which scholars you are referring to....

Sorry, I don't buy your idea that there is some sort of universal American culture.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:08 PM

15,537 posts, read 10,512,774 times
"Do you feel like a stranger in your country?"

My city has always been diverse, so no. I've found legal immigrants to be quite enjoyable. Actually, many have enriched my life. I do agree with Trump about illegal aliens though, they are a gigantic pain in the wallet.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:23 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
when I was a little kid in a small Oklahoma town in the late 50s, my youngest aunt played clarinet for the Booker T Washington High School marching band.

One particular year--I was still quite young--my mother took me to watch the annual town parade. As the bands marched by, I strained to see my aunt, but did not see her.

I wasn't really old enough to realize that there was more than one high school in town...or that black kids like my aunt were required to go to Booker T Washington and not the main town school. Nor was I really aware that everyone in the parade was white.

But I asked my mother why Aunt Faith was not in the parade, and she answered, "We can't be in their parade." The next year, when my mother took me to enroll in the elementary school two blocks from our house, I'd hear that principal say, "No, he can't attend this school. He has to attend the colored elementary school, George Washington Carver," which was about a mile and a half away from our house (no school buses back in those days--that would be a daily walk for me).

What was the question? Do I feel like a stranger in my own country?

No more than I ever did. Less than I have in the past.
Not far away in Mo. a relative of my mother had a Black man that did work for them. Her husband considered him his best friend. The Black friend ate meals there but always in the kitchen. Had the KKK found out they were friends or ate at the same table then it would very likely been death for at least one or both. At least a horse whipping!
So many of the what ever it is that the Neo-conservatives Conservative,Republicans,or GOP members or ditto heads or what ever it is they call themselves think oh well!
Nor do they want to admit that the bombing of the Greenwood district in Tulsa was done by good Christian men dropping gallon jugs of gasoline on innocent residents. This was the only time in history that the mainland USA was bombed from the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies