Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 10:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well guess what? They're Americans too. It is a free country and we are here to celebrate our different cultural heritages as we see fit. What's it to you?
No, they're not Americans. They're immigrants.

Immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 10:34 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
I have to say I agree with this.
I am a native southerner, and I have lived outside of the U.S. for a brief period (Europe) and if anything it has given me a new found respect and interest in my own ethnic group (90% British). Problem is Anglo-Saxon white people lost a lot of their ethnic identity over the last 150 years (English, Welsh, Scots and Ulster-Scots) to the point that they think their cultural identity is WalMart, drive thrus and pop music. Its a shame really. There is nothing wrong with embracing one's cultural identity.

My only gripe is people do need to learn to embrace English as a primary language for conducting business however it is a minor gripe (I don't live in a heavily multi ethnic area, its mostly African Americans and Americans of British heritage around me)
What is "British"? Is someone from the Highlands of Scotland exactly the same as someone from Gibraltar? Is someone from Cornwall exactly the same as someone from London? All 4 of the above people are obviously British as we would think of British people, but they are also strongly influenced by regional cultures and external factors.

My identity as a Long Islander (I don't really identify with New York per se) is heavily based on our maritime heritage and our proximity to New York City. It's very different than say, someone who lives in the Catskills so even within one state you have a huge variety of culture, cuisine, etc.

Regarding English, I agree that everyone should be fluent in English but I am not opposed to bilingualism unlike so many Republicans who practically think speaking a foreign language is a crime. I think that the idea of 'official languages' is divisive. English is, and will always be the first language of the 48 CONUS states. Alaska, Hawaii, and US territories like Puerto Rico and American Samoa are special cases. Reality is eventually even in Puerto Rico I think there will be a level of bilingualism that will satisfy most. The "Esculeas para el Siglo 21"/"Schools for the 21st Century" are a major step in this direction, not to mention the inevitable cultural diffusion that will occur from increased Anglo migration to the island. I think learning different languages is an asset, especially languages like Spanish or Mandarin.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:47 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, they're not Americans. They're immigrants.

Immigrants.
So to you, no naturalized citizen is a real american? How many generations does it take to become a real american?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:56 PM

63,004 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Please give us some examples of regional culture. I haven't been to anywhere in America where I can't get Pizza or Chinese food.

Ethnic foods has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,073,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you have any links that define American culture? And yes, by my definition, culture is a regional thing but most countries are small enough that the region is the whole country. In the US, we are about the size of 50+ countries, therefore the culture differs throughout the country.
Culture is the arts, beliefs, customs, etc., of a particular society, in this case, American society. America has a common national cultural identity, in addition to regional variations in inflections, customs, cuisine, etc.

Quote:
most countries are small enough that the region is the whole country
Let's take France for example. It's about the size of Texas. It has a common national cultural identity (arts, beliefs, customs), in addition to regional/provincial differences in customs, traditions, cuisine, etc.

As to spoonfeeding you links...why? Don't you want to do your own research? There are plenty of scholarly papers to be found online if that is where you wish to study it.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Culture is the arts, beliefs, customs, etc., of a particular society, in this case, American society. America has a common national cultural identity, in addition to regional variations in inflections, customs, cuisine, etc.

Let's take France for example. It's about the size of Texas. It has a common national cultural identity (arts, beliefs, customs), in addition to regional/provincial differences in customs, traditions, cuisine, etc.

As to spoonfeeding you links...why? Don't you want to do your own research? There are plenty of scholarly papers to be found online if that is where you wish to study it.
What arts, beliefs, customs, and national cultural identity do I in Oregon have in common to someone in Texas beyond the willingness to stand for the national anthem?

The reason why I asked for links is because I have no interest in going on a goose chase for something that I think is BS.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:02 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Majority of Americans Feel Like 'Stranger in Own Country'

Do you feel like a stranger in your country?
Since about 2005, yes, definitely. It started with a move to Miami. It's ongoing because of an election in 2008 and 2012. This is not the country I grew up in and once knew, not at all. It has really changed, not for the better.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,017,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Majority of Americans Feel Like 'Stranger in Own Country'

Do you feel like a stranger in your country?
Yes. Try living in DC or Miami. You won't hear English spoken half of the time and will see foreign looking families with 4 generations of people all wearing their traditional clothes walking around in public speaking a foreign language, bumping in to you, acting like you aren't there. No manners or common courtesy.
Just going anywhere in public you don't know what people are going to do, if they're going to steal from you, stand in your way and not move, plow in to you when they want to get in to your space, etc. driving there too and see people pull some bizarre traffic moves.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Since about 2005, yes, definitely. It started with a move to Miami. It's ongoing because of an election in 2008 and 2012. This is not the country I grew up in and once knew, not at all. It has really changed, not for the better.
I would hate for this country to still be the one you grew up with, though I am sure you are different today from when you were younger. Things change, it is the way of life.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,017,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawguy View Post
these posts here and many, many of the replys just show how much the conservatives (or so called "Libertarians") hate people other than white. And this is truly sad.
That is your incorrect assumption. I don't see how you draw that conclusion when only one post specifically mentions white/black conflict. Everyone else has not said anything racial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies