Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 02:59 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,128,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
End the ethanol scam in turn lowering food costs as well as saving water and increasing mpg in our vehicles.
Better all around for everyone and the environment.
I agree there but good luck getting those state governors and legislators to end the gravy train for big agricultural.

I'd prefer using more of those subsides on nutritious foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 03:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
I am all about everyone paying their share, but I think a tax on food is not right.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
That's great you don't contribute much to healthcare but obesity is a serious issue domestically. It's not really disputable.
Obesity is driven by a lack of activity. Instead of food lets go right to the source and tax computer gaming consoles, laptops, facebook and the plethora of other things kids are sitting on the couch doing.

When I was kid the things I ate would make a nutritious cringe. The typical lunch was a ham sandwich with cheese, cupcakes, pack of chips, soda and and a hard candy. .... however I spent more time after school doing physical activity than most of these kids do in a week. I wasn't the only one. There was two kids out of about 50 that could of been considered obese and one of them had a medical problem.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
I have the perfect solution for the obesity issue, 1/10 of one cent per keystroke, button push or joystick push. Problem solved.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:15 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Certainly not on the scale of 2,464 gallons per pound of meat. There are 90 million head of cattle just in the U.S. alone. Each one will yield approximate 450 pounds of meat. Just think about that number as it relates to water consumption per pound. It boggles the mind, especially when we are facing drought in so many places across the country.
I wonder how much water is required to produce 450 pounds of almonds.

Mmm...I love almonds.
(Love cow meat, too.)

Old 11-28-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
So do many other things people do, why stop with food?
Quantify these other things...

Old 11-28-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Obesity is driven by a lack of activity. Instead of food lets go right to the source and tax computer gaming consoles, laptops, facebook and the plethora of other things kids are sitting on the couch doing.

When I was kid the things I ate would make a nutritious cringe. The typical lunch was a ham sandwich with cheese, cupcakes, pack of chips, soda and and a hard candy. .... however I spent more time after school doing physical activity than most of these kids do in a week. I wasn't the only one. There was two kids out of about 50 that could of been considered obese and one of them had a medical problem.
What's your objection to taxing foods that are known to be unhealthy and contribute to obesity?

Old 11-28-2015, 03:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,196,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Saw an interesting article.
What you saw was propaganda and disinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
It talked about putting a tax on meat that would be used to help the environment.
Meat and other food items are already taxed. You pay higher prices for food-stuffs so that producers can meet EPA regulations for run-off, clean soil and water.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Do they? Or is it the people's lifestyles that contribute? Maybe a chip under the skin and you are taxed for every mile under a set amount that you walk? X amount for hours of television watched?
We already have sales tax, seems a whole lot easier just to tax unhealthy foods than implant mandatory tracking chips... But that's just my two cents...

Quote:
I believe we live long enough so I think it's debatable.
Others may disagree with how long you believe we should live up to.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:26 PM

19,266 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Excellent idea. Long overdue. The cost of meat on this country is HUGE. From an environmental standpoint and the residual effects of it on our healthcare system. If people feel the need to partake of a selfish, overindulgence, it should cost
So do you believe that Beer, Wine Fritos and other overindulgences should also be taxed like this? How about we stop importing fruit & vegetables and learn to eat what's in season and available think of the environmental savings not having to ship/import these out of season luxuries...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 11-28-2015 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies