Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 10:02 PM

811 posts, read 552,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You clearly have no clue of my posting history. I've advocated for YEARS both online and IRL to give Black adults what 2/3 of them want for their children: school vouchers.

It's a DISGRACE that Dems let this happen because they adamantly REFUSE to give kids a fair chance to pursue equal educational opportunities:

Black students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 7%
Basic reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 16%

White students' basic math proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 33%
White reading proficiency percentage by 12th grade: 47%

NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013

Our country's public schools are a dumbed-down joke anyway, but notice a little difference between the races, there? That SHOULDN'T be happening.

Oh, and if you think it's a funding problem, it isn't. Many of the worst-performing public school districts spend the most money per student. Think Washington, DC, etc.

School Budgets: The Worst Education Money Can Buy | The Fiscal Times

And if you think it's a racial discrimination problem, well... here you go... HERE are the racists:

The most segregated schools may not be in the states you’d expect - The Washington Post
How do you advocate IRL as you say? And I'm curious, what metro area do you live near, and what is the black community of that city that you go to that has issues? If the most you do is just post on City Data and tell your white friends "The Democrats are evil" IRL and that is you making a change they won't be helped at all. Most whites that know these "black on black crime" stats are the ones who only see black people on TV from the confines of their home on the other side of town.

If education for young black children is a concern to you, have you ever been a teacher at one of these schools where they're the majority and pushed them for greatness? Have you ever hosted events where they could interact with other peers that probably are on better tracks to speak and motivate them like a BBQ in the park along with their parents having invites also?

I've helped with one of htose and can send you the link since it made local news coverage. Do you have any credentials to show your concern making a difference other than your posting history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,696,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
They want law enforcement held accountable for their actions. They want responsible hiring practices to ensure safety and legal activity among officers. There is nothing racists about that.
I sincerely doubt anyone actually finds this wrong. It's a matter of principle. Law enforcement have gotten away with many things, from rapes, drugs, extortion, to allegedly killing unarmed citizens. They should be held to a much higher standard.

What is the crux of the disagreements are the tactics. These tactics are detracting from BLM's underlying goals, although they don't have a clear plan or established leaders. Nonetheless, what causes opposition is to see how rogue protesters and supporters engage in inconsistent behavior. Some of it has been racist. How are people going to support a group where it seems people go out of their way to get any attention, even negative attention, which opposes their supposed goals for justice and ending racism?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:18 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,696,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm not sure you meant that as absolutely as you said it. War is just more organized rioting, and while reprehensible still sometimes is an effective means to facilitate change.

However, that was not necessarily because he felt that violence is never effective, but rather because he felt that violence was generally immoral.

BLM has not said that "riots" were their intention. potusfocus said that, not BLM. I'm challenging BLM because they seem to have no action plan and therefore they're wasting energy that could be better spent on pushing for real change.

It is possible that BLM is deliberately aiming to defecate on Dr. King's legacy, I suppose, but I haven't heard them say that. Have you?

That's for certain. Another dangerous behavior that BLM has been engaging in is a type of "if you're not with us you're against us" behavior, but even when they resist that, they still leave very little room for allies to have their own minds, their own thoughts, their own beliefs and their own values.
You and I don't really have any disagreements. I was responding to another poster who suggested the black community should start rioting, and BLM should get behind it. Sure, BLM's aim might not be to ruin MLKJ's legacy, but actions speak louder than words for most people.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 AM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
How do you advocate IRL as you say? And I'm curious, what metro area do you live near, and what is the black community of that city that you go to that has issues?
Formerly, Chicago. It's Dem-controlled, so no way were they ever going to give kids a chance at pursuing equal educational opportunities.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,727,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
Can you explain why they aren't protesting the African American gang violence in cities throughout the United States?
Your question seems uninformed, given that BLM opposes racism in the exercise of power under color of authority or by society's institutions. Who is exercising power under color of authority in your scenario? Which of the institutions that we collectively craft with our votes and behaviors are committing wrongs in your scenario?

There are legitimate things to criticize about BLM; you don't seem to have hit on any of them.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Do you have any credentials to show your concern making a difference other than your posting history?
Here's the law I helped write and had unanimously passed in IL to help kids escape their hell hole public schools a little earlier. I worked specifically with very smart kids who felt alienated, and it sickened me how abusive public schools are to highly capable kids, particularly minorities because as you and I both know, extreme intellectual talent exists in ALL races and at ALL socioeconomic levels.

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

Old 12-08-2015, 05:25 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,262,287 times
I came across these fools in a mall the other day. I was asked if black lives matter. I said of course. In fact all lives matters don't they. They said yes but this was about black lives. I asked do Asian lives matter or natives lives matter. They said this was about black lives and I stated as I walked away; "That's racist".

Old 12-08-2015, 08:32 PM

811 posts, read 552,060 times
Quote:
Here's the law I helped write and had unanimously passed in IL to help kids escape their hell hole public schools a little earlier. I worked specifically with very smart kids who felt alienated, and it sickened me how abusive public schools are to highly capable kids, particularly minorities because as you and I both know, extreme intellectual talent exists in ALL races and at ALL socioeconomic levels.

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes
Everything I said was wrong and utter BS. I accept my loss and respect your work. I hope besides the school system you pass policy that is aimed at the violence in the urban parts of IL also.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Everything I said was wrong and utter BS. I accept my loss and respect your work. I hope besides the school system you pass policy that is aimed at the violence in the urban parts of IL also.
My area of expertise doesn't include getting Black people to stop their violence against each other, so I'll keep doing what I'm good at and leave that to others. The sad part is that no one is adequately addressing Black on Black violence.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,002,318 times
Quote:
My area of expertise doesn't include getting Black people to stop their violence against each other, so I'll keep doing what I'm good at and leave that to others. The sad part is that no one is adequately addressing Black on Black violence.
The Black on Black violence is a totally different beast. We need to know where the guns are coming from. We need to know more information on the unsolved homicides in the Black community. There are many missing pieces of the puzzle. In the meantime people like me need to take the time and invest in young people's lives and show them they can have a good career and nice things if they do the right thing.

BLM is needed as well. The police can't police the police. We can't have bad people patrolling our streets with authority to kill. We can't have officers who dont like people and dont respect the community they serve. The no snitching thing needs to be taken care of because it has destroyed the reputation of law enforcement. The system is broken and has to be fixed. Thats why we have Black Lives Matter.

You are more than welcomed to start White Lives Matter to protect Whites against White on White violence or what ever. Dont take down something that another group is doing just because FOX news tells you to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies