Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 11:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I don't necessarily disagree here, we are who we are through experiences. Maybe because I am mixed, I don't really put too much emphasis on race, I do however, put emphasis on culture.

I simply don't understand why European-American culture is anything racial, but I respect your opinion. Like you said, you and I view culture differently. That is all.
Yes, on that we can agree. I am mixed as well, but the first generation born in the U.S. For me, culture and religion come before so-called race, which I define differently and don't identify with in the modern sense anyway.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Euro-American culture and race. But it's one of the nice things living largely outside of it for me...culture and religion are first, generally speaking.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
well, I don't necessarily disagree here, we are who we are through experiences. Maybe because I am mixed, I don't really put too much emphasis on race, I do however, put emphasis on culture.

I simply don't understand why European-American culture is anything racial, but I respect your opinion. Like you said, you and I view culture differently. That is all.

For example, my brother's best friend Thomas is an African american man. He is my brother's best friend in Marine Corps. He never viewed his ancestors as slaves, he viewed his ancestors as prisoners of war. This is why he does not hate or dislike anybody from any race. He viewed his ancestors as survivors. Thomas embrace the military culture, he is one of the most giving, understanding, and wonderful man I know. I think his success both in Marine Corps and in civilian world has a lot to do with the combination of his culture. (American culture + military Marine Corps culture)
In West Africa during the "slave trade" and prior, their language had no word that was the equivalent of the English term "slave". It is a common belief that Africans sold their "slaves" to Europeans, but in Africa these captives were "prisoners of war". Of course, you can find exception to this rule but for the most part African sold prisoners of war to Europeans for goods and weapons. In America, these African prisoners of wars became "the enslaved". My ancestors were not slaves. They were "enslaved".

Here is something else. Most African Americans see their ancestors as survivors. Most African Americans know that many slaves died on the journey to the new world and that they had to be strong to survive being packed like sardines for a three month journey to the Americas. It was survival of the fittest and only the strong survived, both physically and mentally. Hence, I do not know of any African American who does not see their ancestors as survivors. The fact that the descendants of the enslaved can look back and think about their antecedents confirms that they were survivors lest we would not be here today. Thus, the idea that they way your brothers AA friends see things creates a distinction with a difference is a fallacy.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In West Africa during the "slave trade" and prior, their language had no word that was the equivalent of the English term "slave". It is a common belief that Africans sold their "slaves" to Europeans, but in Africa these captives were "prisoners of war". Of course, you can find exception to this rule but for the most part African sold prisoners of war to Europeans for goods and weapons. In America, these African prisoners of wars became "the enslaved". My ancestors were not slaves. They were "enslaved".

Here is something else. Most African Americans see their ancestors as survivors. Most African Americans know that many slaves died on the journey to the new world and that they had to be strong to survive being packed like sardines for a three month journey to the Americas. It was survival of the fittest and only the strong survived, both physically and mentally. Hence, I do not know of any African American who does not see their ancestors as survivors. The fact that the descendants of the enslaved can look back and think about their antecedents confirms that they were survivors lest we would not be here today. Thus, the idea that they way your brothers AA friends see things creates a distinction with a difference is a fallacy.
Not many AA think of their ancestors as prisons of war. Thought I would share this experience.

No more no less. He views his success as the combination of military Marine Corps culture and American culture. Hence, culture has a lot to do with personal success.

well, I think I am going to move on from this subject. I think this is a sensitive subject. If I have offended some, I sincerely apologize.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Not many AA think of their ancestors as prisons of war. Thought I would share this experience.

No more no less. He views his success as the combination of military Marine Corps culture and American culture. Hence, culture has a lot to do with personal success.

well, I think I am going to move on from this subject. I think this is a sensitive subject. If I have offended some, I sincerely apologize.
Look....my wife and I have a household income that places us in the top 5th of income earners in the nation. I am considered "successful". Yet, most non black people would consider me one of the biggest whiners with a victim mentality out here, concerning the issue of race.

One persons motivation breaker can be another persons motivation maker. One size does not fit all and the idea that seeing ones self as a victim automatically hurts you is also a fallacy. It, the history of victimization, is what actually motivates many of us to be all that we can be......so that it will not happen again.

PS...there was no race war in America. Hence, seeing the enslaved in America as prisoners of war is total BS. They were the ENSLAVED. They were prisoners of war only while in Africa prior to being shipped to America as property.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Look....my wife and I have a household income that places us in the top 5th of income earners in the nation. I am considered "successful". Yet, most non black people would consider me one of the biggest whiners with a victim mentality out here, concerning the issue of race.

One persons motivation breaker can be another persons motivation maker. One size does not fit all and the idea that seeing ones self as a victim automatically hurts you is also a fallacy. It, the history of victimization, is what actually motivates many of us to be all that we can be......so that it will not happen again.
Everybody I know would consider you successful. I treat people as individuals.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Everybody I know would consider you successful. I treat people as individuals.
But I should not be successful because of my whining and victim mentality....based upon how you see things.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
But I should not be successful because of my whining and victim mentality....based upon how you see things.
what? wow

like I said, if I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I dont know what I posted makes you think this way. I am sorry, i truly am.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Smh.. you guys are so insecure.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
what? wow

like I said, if I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I dont know what I posted makes you think this way. I am sorry, i truly am.
You keep referring to a "victim mentality". What is the significance of this mentality to you?

Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You keep referring to a "victim mentality". What is the significance of this mentality to you?
For example, I can't speak for ALL Japanese-Americans, I have one relative interned during ww2 simply because she had 1/8 japanese blood in her. No more, no less.

To me, I don't like anybody who judge history using perfect hindsight, or make it 'racial' because my german side of the family experienced something pretty disgusting during war time as well. If any of us dwelling on the past, I would say that is "victim mentality". I was not talking about YOU, I don't even know you.

I better move on from this subject, I think you and I can both agree that I talked too much and for that, I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies