Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,425,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
“If you accept – and I do – that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don’t say or like or want said. The Law is a huge blunt weapon that does not and will not make distinctions between what you find acceptable and what you don’t. This is how the Law is made. People making art find out where the limits of free expression are by going beyond them and getting into trouble. [...] The Law is a blunt instrument. It’s not a scalpel. It’s a club. If there is something you consider indefensible, and there is something you consider defensible, and the same laws can take them both out, you are going to find yourself defending the indefensible.”
? Neil Gaiman
so you have never argued (as I have seen so very frequently here on C-D that "Freedom of speech" is only a freedom that prevents GOVERNMENT from going after individual... and is NOT extended to freedom from reaction from those who disagree? The classic case would be the Midwest pizza joint that got progressives all hot and bothered because some employee said they wouldn't cater a hypothetical gay wedding....

you didn't do that? you thought that was crazy? that progressives would do that?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,949,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Then why is your side so committed to blocking Chick-Fil-A from opening in progressive areas like Boston?
Like Your side fighting Christians from being allowed to practicing their faith and not being forced to participate in gay weddings?
from protesting to the point of seeing people fired from jobs when they say things that are derogatory towards various monitories.

this is the double standard.

you suggest you are defending their right to exist yet you fight Christian groups that do exist... to the point of extermination.

?

??

???
My side isn't committed to blocking Chick-Fil-A from opening anywhere. There may be some people who are committed to blocking Chick-Fil-A's from opening, and those same people may share other values and goals with me, but they don't represent "my side."

My side doesn't fight Christians from practicing their faith. My side also doesn't support Christians who want to enforce their religious beliefs on others via economic pressure.

I don't fight Christian groups on their right to exist. I applaud their existence. I applaud their exercise of freedom of speech.

I applaud your exercise of freedom of speech. And you applaud mine. When we engage with one another in discussions such as this, we are supporting freedom of speech, and we are a celebration of what that freedom of speech accomplishes, two people with different ideas and perspectives sharing information without violence or retribution. We may not walk away any closer to agreement, but hopefully we walk away with a better understanding of each other.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:29 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,244,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I've never understood why liberals seem to bend over backwards to apologize for or at the least ignore aspects of Islamic culture that stand against everything they believe in.
Women's rights, gay rights, freedom of speech, secularism .. all of these fare very poorly even under moderate Islamic culture.
Physical cowardice.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:33 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,244,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Speaking of Islamic culture, I read that the Tehran museum of art is now displaying paintings by Western artists like Monet and Picasso. The paintings had been on storage since the 1979 revolution.

What would, say, the Taliban, have done with such items had they been in charge? Or IS? Burned them? Sold them?

The fact that those paintings were preserved, let alone now on display, is revealing. To me it indicates that Iranian leadership is not as reckless and raging anti-western as some typically say.
Raging anti-western? Like when they gather by the thousands and chant "Death to America"? You mean like that?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so you have never argued (as I have seen so very frequently here on C-D that "Freedom of speech" is only a freedom that prevents GOVERNMENT from going after individual... and is NOT extended to freedom from reaction from those who disagree? The classic case would be the Midwest pizza joint that got progressives all hot and bothered because some employee said they wouldn't cater a hypothetical gay wedding....

you didn't do that? you thought that was crazy? that progressives would do that?
Maybe you could be more specific.

But the protection afforded by the Constitution is protection from the government's suppression of free speech. The laws passed by state governments prohibiting businesses from discrimination are laws intended to protect everyone. I do think that anti-discrimination laws serve a good purpose.

I'm also on record, in this forum, for asserting that anti-discrimination laws should not apply to a person's creative product.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 6,769,693 times
Quote:
I've never understood why liberals seem to bend over backwards to apologize for or at the least ignore aspects of Islamic culture that stand against everything they believe in.
Women's rights, gay rights, freedom of speech, secularism .. all of these fare very poorly even under moderate Islamic culture.
In a sense, it is one of the most hyper-conservative cultures on the planet, yet liberals seem to ignore this and take umbrage whenever it is pointed out.
Leftists have been conditioned to hate conservatives to the point that they would side with Hitler if they could degrade their fellow citizens who they somehow think cause all "the troubles" in the country.....

Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Leftists have been conditioned to hate conservatives to the point that they would side with Hitler if they could degrade their fellow citizens who they somehow think cause all "the troubles" in the country.....
The irony of this statement is breathtaking...

Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,428,974 times
Quote:
In a sense, it is one of the most hyper-conservative cultures on the planet, yet liberals seem to ignore this and take umbrage whenever it is pointed out.
Here is all you have to know. I know it might be difficult for you to understand but Liberals don't all think alike. That's why they are called liberals because they can think outside the confines of what others tell them to think.

For instance many Liberals own

Gas guzzling SUV's
High performance sports cars.
Guns and sometimes lots of them.

They live in every state
They live in Mansions, McMansions, single and double wide trailers.
They are presidents of Corporations
They are business owners
They are middle class workers
They are white
They are Black
They are racists
They hate racists
They are Christians, Jews, Atheists, Muslims
They are rich
They are middle class
They are poor
They are gay
They dislike gays
They love women
They hate women
They are pro live
They are pro choice
They are you best friend
They are your worst enemy.
They vote Democrat and Republican and some don't vote.
Some will vote for Trump

But this is where they are all alike, they think for themselves.

Any questions?

Old 12-02-2015, 11:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 6,769,693 times
Quote:
Only for you.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 AM

756 posts, read 425,946 times
Quote:
It's actually correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies