Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,564,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
After 9/11, there was (understandably) a lot of anti-Muslim sentiment. In order to strengthen its base, the Republican Party seized upon this. Muslims living in the United States were thus disenfranchised, and they went to the Democrats in large numbers. It got better for a while around 2005-07 or so, but anti-Muslim sentiment has skyrocketed in the last couple of years (and in fairness, so has the brutality of many Muslim terror groups.)
As Muslim population increases, so will Islamic terrorism, and their move to the Left, since the Left is the only group that will apologize for their actions, which gives Islam cover to continue its oppression.
As Muslim population grows, what can happen to a society? | Examiner.com

Old 12-02-2015, 03:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Before 9/11, Muslims were generally viewed positively or neutrally in the United States. They were generally considered a "good" minority group that worked hard and didn't ask for handouts. The Republicans had no beef with them. People knew about radical Islamic terrorism, but kind of regarded the perpetrators as crazies that weren't really important yet. The first WTC bombing in 1993 took place at a time when lots of other violence was occurring throughout the world that often didn't involve Muslims at all. The attacks in Kenya and Tanzania were too far away, and the USS Cole attack for whatever reason didn't get the coverage it probably should have.

After 9/11, there was (understandably) a lot of anti-Muslim sentiment. In order to strengthen its base, the Republican Party seized upon this. Muslims living in the United States were thus disenfranchised, and they went to the Democrats in large numbers. It got better for a while around 2005-07 or so, but anti-Muslim sentiment has skyrocketed in the last couple of years (and in fairness, so has the brutality of many Muslim terror groups.)
I'm not sure that before 9/11 Muslims were viewed neutrally in the United States. I suspect that there were simply other groups of "not us" who were seen as a greater threat.

But I would concur that as we've shifted in our assessment of threats, that how Muslims have been viewed has grown more negative.

And I don't think you're using the word "disenfranchised" properly. Muslims living in the United States have been growing more politically active, and they've been getting better organized since 2000. That's not disenfranchisement. The Republican Party has become increasingly exclusive, not just in regards to Islam, but to many others as well. And this may lead Muslims and others to support Democrats, but it doesn't make Muslims liberals. Muslims, in terms of their social and economic leanings, tend to be quite conservative. And that's why in 2000 they supported Bush over Gore. And when the Republican Party finds itself in a position to be inclusive rather than exclusive, then I would think that Muslims would find voting for Republicans to be palatable.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:44 PM

269 posts, read 178,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Because it is not Western culture and to the leftist Western culture is seen as the source of all that is wrong and evil with the world.
I think it's more of a race thing myself

*******s will post stuff on FB condemning extremists like the West Babtist church daily, yet they often sypathise for people thate literally hate everything they represent because they're not white men.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:44 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As Muslim population increases, so will Islamic terrorism, and their move to the Left, since the Left is the only group that will apologize for their actions, which gives Islam cover to continue its oppression.
What Muslim oppression in the United States are you concerned about?

Old 12-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What Muslim oppression in the United States are you concerned about?
What I see in Europe today. Of course I expect you to have no clue about it, you are an apologist for Islam afterall.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:49 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I've never understood why liberals seem to bend over backwards to apologize for or at the least ignore aspects of Islamic culture that stand against everything they believe in.
Women's rights, gay rights, freedom of speech, secularism .. all of these fare very poorly even under moderate Islamic culture.
In a sense, it is one of the most hyper-conservative cultures on the planet, yet liberals seem to ignore this and take umbrage whenever it is pointed out.

Well, I can't speak for those damn liberals. . .but people of intelligence can separate the tool from the user.

You will find followers of every religion doing stupid ****. Christians track record, mind you, is far more bloodied than the muslims. They would have to conduct quite a few campaigns to ever catch up.

So if you recognize religion as a tool. . a thing people wield to do what they want/rally the troops. . then you realize that the religion isn't the real issue.

Under ANY religion do you see gay rights, freedom of speech, etc. under fire. Just because we don't have any Christian theocracies anymore. . .doesn't mean anything. When we DID have christian theocracies they looked very much the oppressive regime as anything Islamic.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Well, I can't speak for those damn liberals. . .but people of intelligence can separate the tool from the user.

You will find followers of every religion doing stupid ****. Christians track record, mind you, is far more bloodied than the muslims. They would have to conduct quite a few campaigns to ever catch up.

So if you recognize religion as a tool. . a thing people wield to do what they want/rally the troops. . then you realize that the religion isn't the real issue.

Under ANY religion do you see gay rights, freedom of speech, etc. under fire. Just because we don't have any Christian theocracies anymore. . .doesn't mean anything. When we DID have christian theocracies they looked very much the oppressive regime as anything Islamic.
The Crusades are long gone, but the jihad is still ongoing. Time to wake up and stop apologizing for Islam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg84Bhtxg6M

Old 12-02-2015, 03:54 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,531 times
Quote:
I'm surprised people don't see this for the racist drivel it is. I mean. . .you do know Germany and others up to WW2 printed similar papers on jews or blacks or whatever.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
The Crusades are long gone, but the jihad is still ongoing. Time to wake up and stop apologizing for Islam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg84Bhtxg6M

LOL, You can cleary see Charlie Rose is not comfortable talking so frankly about Islam and he's still trying to gloss over what Bill Maher is saying and Bill mentioning that public polling in Saudi Arabia about certain crimes should be met with death is scary as hell, assuming the numbers were correct, I believe the clip said that 84 percent say it's punishable by death to leave Islam.... man... so much for the religion of peace nonsensical drivel we all keep hearing about.

I never realize what a spineless pinhead Charlie Rose is.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I've never understood why liberals seem to bend over backwards to apologize for or at the least ignore aspects of Islamic culture that stand against everything they believe in.
Women's rights, gay rights, freedom of speech, secularism .. all of these fare very poorly even under moderate Islamic culture.
In a sense, it is one of the most hyper-conservative cultures on the planet, yet liberals seem to ignore this and take umbrage whenever it is pointed out.
I've never understood why some people complain that liberals bend over backward to apologize for Islamic culture.

I've also never understood how people can make gross generalizations about a group's behavior or thought (liberals or conservatives) without posting specific examples and references to make their case.

Could you please? Not taking 'umbrage'. Would just like to know from where you are getting your assertions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies