Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 02:17 PM

783 posts, read 698,460 times

Advertisements

This is what the conservatives/libertarians typically say. However I wonder exactly where people draw the line here. We can get the government completely out of healthcare, but that would entail 911 services as well. Would you who agree with the conservative motto agree that we should not have 911 services provided by the govt? The issue with that is that at the moment of truth, it would seem to me somewhat irrational to have to find someone's ID card, or look up whether a person is insured or not. So governments of the world have stepped in, very much the same as with putting out fires.

Secondly I have heard from at least Carly Fiorina that she meant the states should manage high risk pools on their last debate. This is not getting the government out of healthcare, but more accurately getting the federal government to hand the role back to the states.

Now I am not advocating complete government control of healthcare. I simply would advocate a limited role as catastrophic care provider. Very much the same role that Singapore has chosen to take with fantastic results. If either the federal or states provided the healthcare, I would assume that at least they would provide catastrophic coverage. That is why I think that America should copy Singapore in making a pragmatic decision about how to cover its people. We can still have markets and prices to deal with things such as the common cold. However the proverbial hit by a bus should be covered by government, since at the end of the day, that is who will end up paying the bill anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 02:20 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,613,574 times
not what Trump says.
Trump supports the expansion of Medicaid.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,920,383 times
lets not get stupid here shall we? yes get government OUT of health care, specifically the FEDERAL government. some regulation is needed to make sure the insurance companies are doing what is expected of them. but we dont need obamacare with its 2700 pages of law, and more than 22,000 pages of regulations that make things WORSE for the average person, what with higher premiums, much higher deductibles, and forcing the people to pay for crap they dont need or want.

many of the things the federal government does, should be done at the state or local level anyway, rather like the 911 system for instance. 911 is operated locally as it should be. heaven help us of the feds ever take over the 911 system, those idiots would be dispatching first responders from chicago to handle cases in miami florida!!

Old 11-27-2015, 05:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,570,250 times
like the rest of them... they want govt out until you talk about pulling their medicare...

that should be yanked first. see if they still want no govt healthcare

Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
like the rest of them... they want govt out until you talk about pulling their medicare...

that should be yanked first. see if they still want no govt healthcare
dont forget that even medicare recipients still make monthly premium payments, thus they are still paying for their health insurance.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:41 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,633,174 times
Cato the conservative/libertarian interest group ranks the countries with the freest economies in the world. The top 10 all have national health care

Old 11-27-2015, 06:45 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,331,205 times
can I just have my old healthcare plan back?? the one I was told "I could keep"????

the one I could actually afford, with a low enough deductible that it actually made sense to pay for it???

the one that I had that covered exactly what I needed and didn't cover what I didnt want it to???

can I get that plan back????

because if I can't... my whole family still goes without health insurance as we cant afford it now

Old 11-27-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
can I just have my old healthcare plan back?? the one I was told "I could keep"????

the one I could actually afford, with a low enough deductible that it actually made sense to pay for it???

the one that I had that covered exactly what I needed and didn't cover what I didnt want it to???

because if I can't... my whole family still goes without health insurance as we cant afford it now
not until obamacare is repealed. for now you have to buy insurance bits you dont want or need.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,183,797 times
I have written about this before, Would We Be Better Off Without Any Health Insurance? Thus, I will quote myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Admittedly an "out of the box" thought inspired by this other thread (link).

I have a radical idea that I entertain occasionally. Back in the day, before insurance was prevalent, medical service administration and bills were far lower. Basically you walked into an office, sat down in the waiting room and the doctor came out when he was ready to see you. My pediatrician bill, in 1963 was around $6. So even adjusting for inflation (and prices have not gone up six-fold) that would be $36 or less. As for reaching the doctor you would call and he would return calls between 5PM and 7PM except for emergencies.

Adult matters may be a bit more complex. However, I can't believe that the armies of paper-pushers are free, or needed. I wonder if we'd be better off eliminating employer-paid insurance, and perhaps recasting Medicare as insurance, for all people, against true catastrophes, such as complex cancer or heart disease, or muscular dystrophy. Much of the GDP is now going towards "health care" or more likely overhead. Insurance also distorts employment relationships. Since employer-paid premiums are deductible and the employees' share is paid in pre-tax dollars, too much money is allocated to insurance.

The net result of this is that no one is satisfied. Doctors are unhappy and not doing well. Patients are often stuck in "voice mail jail" dealing with insurers or medical care groups. And life spans have been expanded well beyond the ability of many people to work. Even if I can continue working (I'm a lawyer) can a pipe-fitter who goes into sewers or construction workers who go onto scaffolding often work into their 80's? Maybe some can. But not many. All and all I think we'd be better off with far less insurance.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,484,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post

You are probably better off. If I were you I would start learning about diet and herbs and using sites like this one. HerbalLegacy.com which has many of Dr. John R Christopher's formulas he used during his career as a Naturopathic Doctor and Master herbalist and before that as the only medic in the Army authorized to use herbs on sick and injured soldiers because of the wonderful results he would get using them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies