Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
now tell me something i dont know. i said we dont need the 2700 pages of law and 22,000+ pages of regulations that obamacare gave us. it could have been achieved with far less law and regulation, and it would have been far less expensive as well.
Agreed. Medicare for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 02:03 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
now tell me something i dont know. i said we dont need the 2700 pages of law and 22,000+ pages of regulations that obamacare gave us. it could have been achieved with far less law and regulation, and it would have been far less expensive as well.
How would fewer pages of regulations have resulted in lower cost? I am not following this at all. At least point to specific regulations that could have or should have been omitted, then we will have a basis for a discussion

Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
So our "private sector" broken system is better than universal healthcare?
And who do you think is going to pay for true universal healthcare? The fact is that since unlike Europe we are an integrated society we have a larger underclass. We can't afford the fiscal burden.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:16 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And who do you think is going to pay for true universal healthcare? The fact is that since unlike Europe we are an integrated society we have a larger underclass. We can't afford the fiscal burden.
We can spend trillions of dollars waging war and building up other countries infrastructure making them more dependent on us or we can spend trillions of dollars right here at home making life better for our own citizens. Which one is it going to be?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Good lord; that's the reason you can't afford universal healthcare but can seemingly afford $750.00 per pill for Daraprim?

What The Daraprim Price Hike Actually Does To Health Care

Old 11-28-2015, 04:28 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Life is complicated and all the regulations needed do not fit on the back of an envelope. It's really not about how many pages it uses. It's about what it does, which is good.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:35 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Two incorrect points above. First, 1820 Europe may not have been so diverse but that's not true in 2015. Second, Western Europe spends much more on social welfare programs than the U.S. Graph

Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Quote:
We can spend trillions of dollars waging war and building up other countries infrastructure making them more dependent on us or we can spend trillions of dollars right here at home making life better for our own citizens. Which one is it going to be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Quote:
Two incorrect points above. First, 1820 Europe may not have been so diverse but that's not true in 2015. Second, Western Europe spends much more on social welfare programs than the U.S. Graph
I am responding to both of you together since you are basically making the same point(s).

I forgot to mention in my post that we're paying for almost all of Europe's and Canada's defense. That's how they can afford (if they can afford, that is) to be so generous. Greece's travails may show the limits of their wallets. If the U.S. did what you suggest and not "spend trillions of dollars waging war and building up other countries infrastructure" Europe would have a very hard time sustaining their "generosity." Basically the U.S. is throwing a party for which the U.S. is not appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Good lord; that's the reason you can't afford universal healthcare but can seemingly afford $750.00 per pill for Daraprim?

What The Daraprim Price Hike Actually Does To Health Care
That price was rolled back, I believe, though there are rumors to the contrary. And the fact that the manufacturer even tried to push it through is a testament to the impact of third-party payments.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
I am responding to both of you together since you are basically making the same point(s).

I forgot to mention in my post that we're paying for almost all of Europe's and Canada's defense. That's how they can afford (if they can afford, that is) to be so generous. Greece's travails may show the limits of their wallets. If the U.S. did what you suggest and not "spend trillions of dollars waging war and building up other countries infrastructure" Europe would have a very hard time sustaining their "generosity." Basically the U.S. is throwing a party for which the U.S. is not appreciated.

That price was rolled back, I believe, though there are rumors to the contrary. And the fact that the manufacturer even tried to push it through is a testament to the impact of third-party payments.
Yeah; that dog won't hunt. The U.S. protects only one thing......it's own special interests and it's ability to project itself around the world.

Probably a shock to realize Shkreli lied, eh? Imagine that.

https://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/pha...ease-of-pills/

Old 11-28-2015, 07:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Want to know how wrong you are? Your argument is 100% the opposite of reality. We can't afford the burden of our current profit dominated system.

Health expenditure, total (% of GDP) | Data | Table

17.1% of our GDP goes towards healthcare. And not all of us receive it. Canada? 10.9%. The UK? 9.1%. And keep in mind our GDP per person is much much higher then those countries.

We cant afford the fiscal burden of NOT doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies