Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:45 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You're not black. You're a troll.

The majority of the world's homicides take place in Latin America.

Despite being 8% of the world's population, 33% of the world's homicides take place in Latin America.

But yet I don't see you commenting on how Latin Americans are such a violent people only black Americans who aren't even the majority of black people in the world.

Nice job.
Exactly, only ONE African nation has homicide rates closer to those in the Americas. The nation with the highest homicide rate is one with a mixed European/Amerindian majority in Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,416 times
[quote=EuroTrashed;42675737]So it's tragic that the majority of those suicides are by firearms? Are you implying that it would not be tragic if they were by other means?

What would you prefer to be the 2nd leading cause of death in that demographic? The disingenuousness is in your writing. If you want to ban guns just say so.[/quote]

It is disingenuous for you not to acknowledge that it isn't a problem. The 2nd leading cause of death in the demographic I cited is primarily due to their lack of real life coping skills. It is a problem that needs to be addressed. Far more young white men are 'offing' themselves but the conservative news media prefers to focus solely on black on black crime. Between suicides, and white on white crime that particular demographics death rate is high but conveniently ignored. With that said, a ban on guns isn't going to serve as a prosthetist of an amputated spirit. They'll find another method such as jumping off a bridge.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 AM

269 posts, read 178,523 times
As a black man, it's our culture unfortunately. I don't believe it's a race thing, as Russians and other Eastern block Europeans who are white kill at the same rate we do, and so do Latinos in places like Columbia or Venezuela.

I think you fix it with unbelievable consequences for violent crime. If Johnny gang banger thought he would lose a limb or face the squad for senseless violence, he would think twice.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
As a black man, it's our culture unfortunately. I don't believe it's a race thing, as Russians and other Eastern block Europeans who are white kill at the same rate we do, and so do Latinos in places like Columbia or Venezuela.

I think you fix it with unbelievable consequences for violent crime. If Johnny gang banger thought he would lose a limb or face the squad for senseless violence, he would think twice.
Removing the ability for all people to prosper, has a way of keeping starving people on edge, with nothing to lose.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:21 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
According to the CDC link, it appears to be all suicides.
So... not really relevant to a discussion on guns.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Removing the ability for all people to prosper, has a way of keeping starving people on edge, with nothing to lose.
Oh, please. My kids went to a very diverse school. Everyone had the possibility of getting the same education. Some groups of students made fun of other groups for trying hard to succeed. The problem here is culture and mentality. Until this is acknowledged, this problem will continue.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Who owns guns in America? White men, mostly. - Vox

A current event rather than a gun only topic because of the social impacts.

If it is mostly white men that own guns, then can anyone explain why so many blacks use guns to kill people?

I am not saying whites do not use guns to kill people, they do but according to gun ownership, do as many white kill people with guns as blacks? If they do, what does that say since there are according to census data, more whites than blacks in the USA? Percentage wise then, more blacks use guns to kill others than whites.

This is not a racial issue either other than the one presented in the article but beyond that, the idea that whites are more dangerous than other races because they won more of the guns is patently false.
The VOX article goes into great detail about how many Whites own guns (31%) - they are talking about legally owning guns, although they are careful to avoid the word "legal". They even have a chart that shows 50% of Black people would be "uncomfortable" with a gun in the home and that only 22% have a gun in the home. Somehow this all translates to Whites are 31% of the gun owning population and also 61% of the gun owners since White Males are only 32% of the population. This is all from a PEW Study done in 2013.

Sounds SCARY doesn't it.

There is more data from 2013 - a Pew Study on Black Homicide by firearm and an FBI report on Gun Deaths and race for the Victim and the Killer.

Blacks Suffer Disproportionate Share of Firearm Homicide Deaths|PEW May 2013

Among racial and ethnic groups, blacks are over-represented among gun homicide victims; blacks were 55% of shooting homicide victims in 2010, but 13% of the population.

By contrast, whites are underrepresented; whites were 25% of the victims of gun homicide in 2010, but 65% of the population. For Hispanics, the 17% share of gun homicide victims was about equal to their 16% proportion of the total population.

Now you have to go to the FBI data base to check on the Killers of all these victims ..... and lookee here. It turns out that most of the killers of the Black victims were also Black. How can that be when it is the White people who own most of the guns??????

Murder -
Race, Ethnicity, and Sex of Victim by Race, Ethnicity, and Sex of Offender, 2013

This isn't Rocket Science. I'm not going to bother to try and find the stats, but Gun Theft is the answer nobody wants to mention. Just perhaps it would be a good idea to start imposing some tough sentences on both gun theft and anyone caught with a stolen gun .... ya think?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Who owns guns in America? White men, mostly. - Vox

A current event rather than a gun only topic because of the social impacts.

If it is mostly white men that own guns, then can anyone explain why so many blacks use guns to kill people?

I am not saying whites do not use guns to kill people, they do but according to gun ownership, do as many white kill people with guns as blacks? If they do, what does that say since there are according to census data, more whites than blacks in the USA? Percentage wise then, more blacks use guns to kill others than whites.

This is not a racial issue either other than the one presented in the article but beyond that, the idea that whites are more dangerous than other races because they won more of the guns is patently false.
Yes, easy explaination.....the original assumption is wrong.

Creative math and statistics are the ammo of the academic liberal theorists who preach anti-gun ownership.

Yes, I know, your mind gets twisted following the creative logic of academics pretending to create facts out of smoke.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post

I don't think fear of firing squad would change that. Many gang members expect to die young. There are many who don't care if they get the death penalty.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think fear of firing squad would change that. Many gang members expect to die young. There are many who don't care if they get the death penalty.
True. The death penalty has never been effective as a deterrent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies