Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Why is visa control supported by Republicans as a way to fight ISIS, but gun control is seen as the antithesis of fighting gun crime?
It's bipartisan so it's supported by both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 04:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I didn't even realize we let people come here with no visas.
But hey..every little bit helps.
The Visa waiver Program is almost 30 years old. It's reciprocal and mostly European countries, not the Middle East. It exists to promote tourism and business.

The US receives 70 million foreign visitors each year from all over the world.

My goal is to visit at least 100 countries and I am well beyond the half way mark. It's more costly to visit countries that are independent of the the visa waiver program. In some cases, you have to either visit the foreign embassy or mail the documents, your passport and a check to an embassy.

Many countries, allow visitors to buy a VISA at the point of immigration. Turkey is one of them, unless things recently changed.

Some countries do not swipe or stamp passports. Some countries charge a fee for a stamp.

Not all countries have bought into digital passports. I believe Syria is one of those countries.

As it relates to the recent Paris attacks, most who engaged were citizens of France or Belgium and had not traveled to the ME. They could have entered the US without a visa at any point in time.

The people want government to "do something" to increase the perception of safety.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Visa waiver Program is almost 30 years old. It's reciprocal and mostly European countries, not the Middle East. It exists to promote tourism and business.

The US receives 70 million foreign visitors each year from all over the world.

My goal is to visit at least 100 countries and I am well beyond the half way mark. It's more costly to visit countries that are independent of the the visa waiver program. In some cases, you have to either visit the foreign embassy or mail the documents, your passport and a check to an embassy.

Many countries, allow visitors to buy a VISA at the point of immigration. Turkey is one of them, unless things recently changed.

Some countries do not swipe or stamp passports. Some countries charge a fee for a stamp.

Not all countries have bought into digital passports. I believe Syria is one of those countries.

As it relates to the recent Paris attacks, most who engaged were citizens of France or Belgium and had not traveled to the ME. They could have entered the US without a visa at any point in time.

The people want government to "do something" to increase the perception of safety.

5 of the 7 shooters had travelled to Syria. The 2 in the house with Abaaoud had also traveled to Syria.

French and Belgian intelligence knew Paris attackers had jihadi backgrounds | World news | The Guardian

Old 12-08-2015, 07:46 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Good to hear.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I'm just wondering how we have a clue as to where people have been the last 5 years? Then I'm wondering how accurate any records are?

Then I'm wondering whether this would do anything at all. Would it have stopped the two major attacks we had? Boston and California? It doesn't seem to me it would.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:10 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I haven't read this bill, but based on the article, your OP is actually incorrect. This bill would end visa-free travel to anyone who has been to Syria or Iraq in the past 5 years, not anyone that has been to ME countries in the past 5 years. That is why it is getting bipartisan support, which I have to agree is a reasonable bill.
HOW can it be considered reasonable when it gives a pass to anyone who's been to Saudi Arabia, a known haven for Islamic terror, in the last 5 years?

Iraq and Syria bad?

Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Egypt, et al just fine and dandy?

Typical half-assed planning/action by Congress that will in the end accomplish little/nothing other than allowing the politicians to pat themselves on the back for their 'hard work'.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
HOW can it be considered reasonable when it gives a pass to anyone who's been to Saudi Arabia, a known haven for Islamic terror, in the last 5 years?

Iraq and Syria bad?

Typical half-assed planning/action by Congress that will in the end accomplish little/nothing other than allowing the politicians to pat themselves on the back for their 'hard work'.
Warped logic...those are the 2 countries where ISIS has control.
In France many of the young Muslims there did go to Syria to fight with the rebels and then came back to France.

Maybe that is what influenced our Congress.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:20 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Warped logic...those are the 2 countries where ISIS has control.
In France many of the young Muslims there did go to Syria to fight with the rebels and then came back to France.

Maybe that is what influenced our Congress.

Warped logic?

I think not.

WHERE did the 9/11 hijackers come from?

Hasn't Yemen been implicated in many acts of terror?

Don't those opposed to the Iran deal tell us what a cesspool of terror Iran is?

Didn't Pakistan shelter bin Laden?

I don't think it's warped logic at all, if anything it's Congress having the attention span of a 5 year old.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:07 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

Iraq and Syria bad?

Actually it sounds like this is still being put together and what countries it applies to is still a bit vague because of the wording that it includes countries that have significant amount of terrorist activity.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
So I guess no one knows how we determine where every single person around the world has traveled in the last 5 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies