Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times

Advertisements

This will do more to prevent a terrorist attack than any gun control law.

Over 20 million come to the US with no travel visas each year and we let them stay for 90 days.
This bill will end that for anyone that's been to ME countries in the past 5 years.

And this bill has bipartisan support.

House set to tighten restrictions on visa-free travel to US
The House is poised to crack down on visa-free travel to the U.S., aiming to ensure that the Paris attacks won't be repeated here.
It is likely to pass by a wide, bipartisan margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 02:12 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,420,179 times
Looks like a nice bill. Respects Americans rights, addresses the issues.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:13 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,411,623 times
Hmm...a little bit of a pain paperwork wise, will have a small impact on the ease of business, etc etc. But the benefits might be worth it. Might suggest that we make an exclusion for anyone who did so while a member of NATO's armed forces though. Thats probably my only gripe.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:14 PM

I didn't even realize we let people come here with no visas.
But hey..every little bit helps.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This will do more to prevent a terrorist attack than any gun control law.

Over 20 million come to the US with no travel visas each year and we let them stay for 90 days.
This bill will end that for anyone that's been to ME countries in the past 5 years.

And this bill has bipartisan support.

House set to tighten restrictions on visa-free travel to US
The House is poised to crack down on visa-free travel to the U.S., aiming to ensure that the Paris attacks won't be repeated here.
It is likely to pass by a wide, bipartisan margin.
I haven't read this bill, but based on the article, your OP is actually incorrect. This bill would end visa-free travel to anyone who has been to Syria or Iraq in the past 5 years, not anyone that has been to ME countries in the past 5 years. That is why it is getting bipartisan support, which I have to agree is a reasonable bill.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Here's another article with more details of the bill.

Tidbit from this link:..the shoe bomber (2001) was a visa free traveler on his way to the US.

House Set to Tighten Restrictions on Visa-Free Travel to US - ABC News

Old 12-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I didn't even realize we let people come here with no visas.
But hey..every little bit helps.
You didn't know this? Have you ever traveled outside of the US before? In many countries all you need is a passport, you don't need to file for a visa in each country you visit. Many countries are free to travel to the US with just a passport as well.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I haven't read this bill, but based on the article, your OP is actually incorrect. This bill would end visa-free travel to anyone who has been to Syria or Iraq in the past 5 years, not anyone that has been to ME countries in the past 5 years. That is why it is getting bipartisan support, which I have to agree is a reasonable bill.
Not totally incorrect but you can only get so much text in the title...ME countries fit.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You didn't know this? Have you ever traveled outside of the US before? In many countries all you need is a passport, you don't need to file for a visa in each country you visit. Many countries are free to travel to the US with just a passport as well.
Only been to Ireland where US citizens don't need a Visa.

I would have thought after 9/11 that the US would definitely require visas from any ME country or any country experiencing lots of terrorism.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Not totally incorrect but you can only get so much text in the title...ME countries fit.
I wasn't referring to your title, I was referring to the OP, which I highlighted. Though it is also a Yahoo News story, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the ones who were wrong. Though based on your second link, it sounds like it is mostly Syria and Iraq with any other country that has had significant terrorist activity (though that is a bit vague in description.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies