Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Both sides are either mislead or in denial. I just want to raise these points.

Clarifications for the left:

1. Western countries are much more tolerant than the developing world. Tribalism is a major problem in Africa. Colorism and tension between ethnic groups in India are currently upheld.

2. The US isn't the only country with immigration laws. In fact, US immigration is pretty much generous relative to other countries. In Mexico, Cubans get deported regularly. East Asia wishes to preserve their national and ethnic heritage. Japan shows no signs of encouraging immigration.

3. Race is biological. This doesn't mean different groups are inferior or superior than others. Geographical populations can be defined genetically.

4. Gender and sex do overlap. There are plenty of studies showing boy/girl differences in behavior before socialization kicks in.

5. When people criticize Islam, it doesn't mean they're bigots. There may be some who do it out of bigotry. But people like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, and Hitchens(RIP) are vocal in their opposition to Islam due to aspects that go against Western conventions. Basically, they oppose Islam due to its intolerance of gays, feminism, education, and art. Things we take for granted in Western society are shunned in the Islamic world.

6. Market capitalism and free trade have lifted billions out of poverty and have improved the standard of living of billions of people.
Every one of these is either wrong (e.g., race), or implies a fictitious strawman liberal (what liberals think Africa is a post-racial utopia?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:51 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You're really stre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-tching things here.

The fact is, some people are white, and some black.

Some people have round eyes, others not round eyes.

Different races have been concentrated in different parts of the planet.

There is no good reason for me to believe that those differences are socially constructed.

Yes, there is race mixing -- which is what you seem to be talking about ("migration...mating patterns.")

That is due to social factors -- but the races that are mixed are not socially constructed.

Here we see yet another example of science being corrupted by liberal politics.

But hey:

When liberals stop insisting that the government and businesses classify people by race, and give preferences to races other than the white race, then maybe I'll take you seriously.
simplistic conclusions

by your logic, since I have a chamiosee skin color, and my sister has a wheat color, then we are different races and not related right? Skin color is a poor proxy for genetic relationships.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 12-10-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 10:16 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:

1. Western countries are much more tolerant than the developing world. Tribalism is a major problem in Africa. Colorism and tension between ethnic groups in India are currently upheld.

2. The US isn't the only country with immigration laws. In fact, US immigration is pretty much generous relative to other countries. In Mexico, Cubans get deported regularly. East Asia wishes to preserve their national and ethnic heritage. Japan shows no signs of encouraging immigration.

3. Race is biological. This doesn't mean different groups are inferior or superior than others. Geographical populations can be defined genetically.

4. Gender and sex do overlap. There are plenty of studies showing boy/girl differences in behavior before socialization kicks in.

5. When people criticize Islam, it doesn't mean they're bigots. There may be some who do it out of bigotry. But people like Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, and Hitchens(RIP) are vocal in their opposition to Islam due to aspects that go against Western conventions. Basically, they oppose Islam due to its intolerance of gays, feminism, education, and art. Things we take for granted in Western society are shunned in the Islamic world.

6. Market capitalism and free trade have lifted billions out of poverty and have improved the standard of living of billions of people.

Clarifications for the right:

1. Islamic extremism mostly impacts Muslims. The vast majority of Muslims oppose ISIS. Most of the victims of Islamic terrorism are Muslims.

2. Immigration is good. It brings creativity and creates demand in the economy.

3. Market capitalism can't work without government institutions and regulations. Markets require levers like any other universal system.

4. The gun show loophole does exist. Private sellers aren't required to run background checks for transactions in most states. Yes, Chicago and other liberal cities have strict gun laws, but the guns that are recovered derive from jurisdictions with lax gun laws.

5. People don't choose to be poor. Luck and circumstances can take you a long way. Nothing is determined solely on merit.

6. Inequality does exist and should be addressed.

7. Climate change is partly human induced.
I am a liberal, as are most of my friends/family. The six items of clarification that you list for Liberals are wasted on us, because we are now and have been all of our adult lives totally aware of them. They are based on facts and are what we know, not what we believe.

Your clarifications for the right, however, will for the most part fall on deaf ears, because facts that conflict with what they believe are ignored. A point that Bill Maher makes frequently when he discusses the right wing "bubble."

Good luck with your thread.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:

Clarifications for the right:

1. Islamic extremism mostly impacts Muslims. The vast majority of Muslims oppose ISIS. Most of the victims of Islamic terrorism are Muslims.

2. Immigration is good. It brings creativity and creates demand in the economy.

3. Market capitalism can't work without government institutions and regulations. Markets require levers like any other universal system.

4. The gun show loophole does exist. Private sellers aren't required to run background checks for transactions in most states. Yes, Chicago and other liberal cities have strict gun laws, but the guns that are recovered derive from jurisdictions with lax gun laws.

5. People don't choose to be poor. Luck and circumstances can take you a long way. Nothing is determined solely on merit.

6. Inequality does exist and should be addressed.

7. Climate change is partly human induced.
Pretty much agree on all points.

The only thing I would add is the word CAN as in "Immigration CAN be good", as long as it does not undermine wages.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:

I dont know anyone on the Left who believes Western Countries are less tolerant, I believe the argument is usually about another Western Country being more tolerant than the US is.

Quote:
This is again a characterization on your part rather than the left, the U.S. immigration policy compared to other western countries is not generous, that being said, im fine with that.

Quote:
Again, not sure where this argument comes from, i dont think anyone argues that race in and of itself isnt biological, only that being of a different race does not make you inferior or superior.

Quote:
Again, mischaracterization on your part, Overlap and "equal" are not the same. I dont think anyone ever said they dont overlap.

Quote:
But there are people who do it that are indeed bigots.

Quote:
Again, who argued against this ???

Old 12-10-2015, 12:18 PM

15,973 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Great post.
Quote:
All religions can be equally criticized, they are all imperfect, as imperfect as the men who founded them - they are mostly men who did. Singling out Islam often happens due to bigotry or ignorance. one does not have to know everything about any religion to simply accept they all have problems, have sexist, racist, and homophobic ideas.

Western conventions can use a good bit of ridicule and harsh criticism. all abrahamic religions are rooted in violence, revenge, blood, and land grab.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:19 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yeah, I don't see why so many liberals say Scandinavia is so much happier when their rates of suicide and depression are worse than ours.

Depression hits half the population

Depression among Norwegian adolescents at record level / News / The Foreigner — Norwegian News in English.
Some of that suicide and depression maybe more because of Scandinavia's winter climate or their local cultural then their economic system.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:48 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Yeah, I don't see why so many liberals say Scandinavia is so much happier when their rates of suicide and depression are worse than ours.

Depression hits half the population

Depression among Norwegian adolescents at record level / News / The Foreigner — Norwegian News in English.
First of all, it's not liberals per se saying that a country is happy. It' research done by think tanks all of which aren't liberal. Not to mention that they regularly appear on Forbes and Business Insider. Secondly, the suicide thing is hard to categorize. Why the Happiest States Have the Highest Suicide Rates | TIME.com

Old 12-11-2015, 04:52 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
simplistic conclusions

by your logic, since I have a chamiosee skin color, and my sister has a wheat color, then we are different races and not related right? Skin color is a poor proxy for genetic relationships.
You insist on missing the point.

Sorry, can't help you there.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:10 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
....Your clarifications for the right, however, will for the most part fall on deaf ears, because facts that conflict with what they believe are ignored. A point that Bill Maher makes frequently when he discusses the right wing "bubble."
And your evidence for all of this?

None.

Thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont know anyone on the Left who believes Western Countries are less tolerant, I believe the argument is usually about another Western Country being more tolerant than the US is.
If you lived in those countries, you might find that they are not all that tolerant.

As a gay American man, I met a Dutch gay guy in Amsterdam -- which was supposed to be the most liberal city for gays in the world at that time.

He was very closeted.

He explained to me that tourists ($$$) could do what they wanted in Amsterdam.

That didn't mean that natives could. They had their "reputation" to consider. They couldn't adopt the attitude "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

Quote:
...U.S. immigration policy compared to other western countries is not generous
Wrong.

The U.S. has -- BY FAR -- the most generous immigration policy in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
....All religions can be equally criticized, they are all imperfect, as imperfect as the men who founded them - they are mostly men who did. Singling out Islam often happens due to bigotry or ignorance. one does not have to know everything about any religion to simply accept they all have problems, have sexist, racist, and homophobic ideas.
We don't hang gays and stone women in this country.

And we don't execute people for leaving the Christian religion.

We don't have beheadings, crucifixions, and sentences to 3,000 lashes.

Sorry, "all religions can be equally criticized" is not true.

Islam is where Christianity was 500 years ago.

It has not reformed or progressed.

Even 500 years ago, Christianity was better.

Christ was about turning the other cheek, forgiveness, and love.

Islam has always been about conquest and submission.

That's what "Islam" means -- "submission."

Islam divides the world into two "houses."

The "house of Islam" and "the house of war."

War -- become a Muslim or die.

Or if you're lucky, become a slave or pay a tax as a "dhimmi."

Ignorance -- not a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies