Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That depends if I make enough to pay taxes.

For some, it would be a homicide - and if the deceased's family wins a judgment, I have to pay.
You're subject to the whims of the U.S. government regardless if you pay taxes or not or use its services or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
I just want to see them layoff half of the 2.79 million federal civil service workers until we can balance the budget! If that isn't enough; let the rest of them go.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:45 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Paves the roads
Keeps the street lights on
Provides a kick ass military
these are good although i disagree with the military spending. we do need good intelligence and capacity to defend the country.
i would add provide good quality education free - this is important for the economy in many ways

Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
It shouldn't do anything for, or to, me because I never asked it to in the first place. If I want someone to do something for me I'll offer to pay for those services.
who will you pay? say you got a stroke from taking adulterated medicine because there is no one to control pharma, or rotten meat because there is no FDA. who will you go to?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
But, the overall governments job is well written, sort of.
What do you want the government to provide for you?
President Kennedy said famously, "ASK NOT WHAT THIS COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THIS COUNTRY"

A brilliant statement at a time when wisely the government was 100 times smaller than now with few hands in the Treasury.

Are you a tax payer or a tax taker. We need tax payers, the other kind unless elderly or massively disabled are problems for the country.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:49 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
freedom!!!

Old 12-10-2015, 11:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
US Citizens, What do you want the Government to do for you?

Stop acting as if the Constitution mandates we police the world.
This.

What is it 130 nations we are occupying at last count? 900 bases outside the US?

Sickening. Ron Paul says U.S. has military personnel in 130 nations and 900 overseas bases | PolitiFact

The US Government would be in a MUCH better position to actually help Americans if we stopped allowing our military to be used and abused by war profiteers.

I would also like for our representatives in office to stop whoring out our Government and their responsibilities to detached and nationless corporations and banks-many of whom are the war profiteers mentioned above.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:53 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,530,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
We seem to lose focus on why we elect certain people into office. We argue about some seriously stupid things they do or say.
But, the overall governments job is well written, sort of.
What do you want the government to provide for you?
1. Protection from foreign enemies.
2. Protection from criminals.
3. Protection of private property.
4. Enforcement of contracts.
5. Enforcement of all laws equally.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
President Kennedy said famously, "ASK NOT WHAT THIS COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU, BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THIS COUNTRY"

A brilliant statement at a time when wisely the government was 100 times smaller than now with few hands in the Treasury.
Bwahahha.

1961:
17.2% of GDP in revenue to the Fed
2,388,000 government employees out of a population of 183 million

2014:
17.5% of GDP in revenue to the Fed
2,745,000 government employees out of a population of 321 million

100 times smaller eh? What complete nonsense. Heck by employee count per person we are actually MUCH smaller today!

Quote:
Are you a tax payer or a tax taker. We need tax payers, the other kind unless elderly or massively disabled are problems for the country.
And? We need jobs that pay well. Thats what makes people into tax payers. But with all the growth going to the top we aren't seeing that. Of course you blame the poor, not the people soaking up all the income.....

Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ensure that the highway system is fully maintained
Ensure the safety and security of the Nation and it's People
Tax All Americans fairly
Pay out on the promises of SS
Maintain and ensure the National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries
Ensure that No Persons or Business Destroys the environment through pollutions being dumping to the environment.
Stay out of my and everyone else's personal lives

Think that pretty much sums up what I expect from them.
EXCELLENT post. The only things I would add are:

1. To ensure K-12 education for everyone and free college and skilled job training based on aptitude and projected number of college graduates actually needed. (In other words, I don't think that someone with a C average should be allowed into a university just because Mommy and Daddy are wealthy, and someone with a B average should be denied college just because Mommy and Daddy are poor.)

2. No "welfare" of any kind to those adults who can work, but simply refuse to do so. If someone cannot find a paid job in the private sector, I think, they should be made to do some kind of FDR-era work in exchange for benefits. (And no benefits of ANY kind for non-U.S. citizens -- with fair notice, of course -- although I would like the path to U.S. citizenship to be made much faster and easier.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies