Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Then there are the poor in America who grew up on food stamps. These folks grew up having no choice but to eat the cheapest stuff, which often boil down to stuff like cheap chicken nuggets and cheap pizza. In other words, the system has created a class of people that are incapable of enjoying anything but cheap processed crap foods...

Enough with the political correctness crap.

The system? Maybe you should follow your own advice about PC nonsense. People eat chicken nuggets and pizza because they taste good. And if they have no pretentions of developing a sophisticated palate, and lack the future orientation to worry about what a poor diet will eventually do to them, they will keep on eating nuggets and pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 10:06 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Ok, on further thought, here's what I think is the general trend.

If you grew up poor and starving in a country that doesn't offer assistance, then chances are you will adapt to eating just about anything that is put in front of you. Since my siblings and I grew up dirt poor and some days we didn't eat anything at all, nowadays even though we are all successful professionals in the US we will eat anything and like it. Whenever someone wants to introduce something new to me and they are afraid I can't eat it, I always tell them I will eat it and like it. And it's true, everything tastes good to me.

Then there are the poor in America who grew up on food stamps. These folks grew up having no choice but to eat the cheapest stuff, which often boil down to stuff like cheap chicken nuggets and cheap pizza. In other words, the system has created a class of people that are incapable of enjoying anything but cheap processed crap foods.

Then there are the middle class Americans who are more adventurous and can enjoy a more diverse kinds of foods.

Then of course there are the rich folks that have had more opportunities to eat all kinds of foods than the rest of us. So, they have more chance of enjoying more diverse food backgrounds.

Keep in mind that I am speaking in general terms. Of course it is silly to try to apply general statements to every single member of a said group.

Over the last 10 years, I've encountered perhaps 50-100 folks who grew up on food stamps. I used to work for habitat for humanity. And almost every one of them were picky eaters. So, don't tell me my observations are wrong. Enough with the political correctness crap.
Do you like it when people make false and erroneous assumptions about your culture based on their experiences with a few people? Do their experiences make their false assumptions correct?

Because that's exactly what you're doing here.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:17 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Do you like it when people make false and erroneous assumptions about your culture based on their experiences with a few people? Do their experiences make their false assumptions correct?

This is a very good point^

OP, have you heard of the book Sugar, Fat, Salt (or something close to that)? Basic premise: humans are wired to crave and devour foods high in, you guessed it, sugar, fat and salt. Our bodies want to store up for the future. Unless we train them otherwise, our bodies are going to lead us to those types of foods. I think you'd like the book.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Hahaha let me guess you also oppose any mean of communication beside hammer and chisel on stone tablets?

Old 12-27-2015, 11:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
I went to the University of Chicago. There, I stayed in the dorms with some people that were sons and daughters of millionaires. These guys were literally born with silver spoons in their mouths.

I was always told that these guys would be picky eaters since they were used to having their way. And yet, over the months I was friend with them and went to classes with them, I noticed that they would try out and eat anything you put in front of them. One time, one of them asked me about the evil durian fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

They begged me to bring some for them to try. So, one weekend I visited a Vietnamese store and got some. The smell overwhelmed them like I expected. But to my surprise, every one of them lined up and tried it out. Some hated it and some thought it was sweet.

Right now in my life, off the top of my head I can name 6 people who were born poor and literally grew up on food stamps. These people are also the most picky eaters I have ever known in my life.

Just the other day, one of them visited us. I offered some delicious cheese cake of variety flavors. Cost me almost $50. She put a vanilla piece on her plate, picked a little tiny piece on her spoon, made a face with disgust, put it in her mouth, made another face, and to my surprise she dumped it into the garbage. Was it really that terrible to her?

Every single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been out with these 6 people they always order chicken nuggets or pizza with french fries. I always offer to pay, so they could have ordered anything they wanted.

One time, my boyfriend and I took a couple of them to Royal Buffet for lunch. I paid, of course. They would not get anything but chicken nuggets and pizza even though there was a Chinese bar, Japanese bar, Italian bar, etc. There were even lobsters that day. But they would not even consider trying out anything else. Just chicken nuggets and pizza.

I've had them over for BBQ where people generally agreed the ribs and chicken I BBQ'ed were good. But they were not able to eat them at all, claiming EWWWWWW!

I've been told that poor people who grew up poor can eat just about anything.

Why can't I find any poor people that will eat anything like I've been told? Why haven't I found any rich people that are annoying picky eaters like I've been told?

I'm told one thing by society, but I keep observing the opposite. Rich people who grew up rich that I know will eat anything you put in front of them. Poor people who grew up on food stamps that I know are the most picky eaters I've ever known in my life. Completely the opposite of what society generally believes. Why?
Some people, including myself, don't order the most expensive items on the menu because someone else is footing the bill. I won't eat slop but, I won't go Surf n Turf because I have some dignity. If I am out on anothers dime I behave as if I am paying for it myself and keep it sensible. Order a bottle of Dom for $200 when I can get it for 1/2 that at a store? I won't order alcohol at all, it's all over priced.
I have been out with union bosses who ordered for me and it was ridiculous; $400 for lunch. 3 fingers of good Scotch was a normal drink at the place. Union credit cards paid for it all thanks to union dues.

What is Royal Buffet? A typical waddle in joint where obese people eat bad food copiously until they need undo the top button of their pants to waddle out?

I know of some Argentinian steak houses where you can eat all the grilled meat you want - pure protein. I have done that a couple of times and enjoyed filet mignon, brisket, salmon, chicken and assorted top cuts of beef. They try to push some filler foods on you but if there for protein I don't want fried junk.

Last edited by armory; 12-27-2015 at 11:31 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 02:57 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Hahaha let me guess you also oppose any mean of communication beside hammer and chisel on stone tablets?
So communication should evolve, but not your own worldview? Good plan.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
I went to the University of Chicago. There, I stayed in the dorms with some people that were sons and daughters of millionaires. These guys were literally born with silver spoons in their mouths.

I was always told that these guys would be picky eaters since they were used to having their way. And yet, over the months I was friend with them and went to classes with them, I noticed that they would try out and eat anything you put in front of them. One time, one of them asked me about the evil durian fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

They begged me to bring some for them to try. So, one weekend I visited a Vietnamese store and got some. The smell overwhelmed them like I expected. But to my surprise, every one of them lined up and tried it out. Some hated it and some thought it was sweet.

Right now in my life, off the top of my head I can name 6 people who were born poor and literally grew up on food stamps. These people are also the most picky eaters I have ever known in my life.

Just the other day, one of them visited us. I offered some delicious cheese cake of variety flavors. Cost me almost $50. She put a vanilla piece on her plate, picked a little tiny piece on her spoon, made a face with disgust, put it in her mouth, made another face, and to my surprise she dumped it into the garbage. Was it really that terrible to her?

Every single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been out with these 6 people they always order chicken nuggets or pizza with french fries. I always offer to pay, so they could have ordered anything they wanted.

One time, my boyfriend and I took a couple of them to Royal Buffet for lunch. I paid, of course. They would not get anything but chicken nuggets and pizza even though there was a Chinese bar, Japanese bar, Italian bar, etc. There were even lobsters that day. But they would not even consider trying out anything else. Just chicken nuggets and pizza.

I've had them over for BBQ where people generally agreed the ribs and chicken I BBQ'ed were good. But they were not able to eat them at all, claiming EWWWWWW!

I've been told that poor people who grew up poor can eat just about anything.

Why can't I find any poor people that will eat anything like I've been told? Why haven't I found any rich people that are annoying picky eaters like I've been told?

I'm told one thing by society, but I keep observing the opposite. Rich people who grew up rich that I know will eat anything you put in front of them. Poor people who grew up on food stamps that I know are the most picky eaters I've ever known in my life. Completely the opposite of what society generally believes. Why?
Rich people -- especially the old rich -- are taught manners and to have open minds.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:07 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
This is a very good point^

OP, have you heard of the book Sugar, Fat, Salt (or something close to that)? Basic premise: humans are wired to crave and devour foods high in, you guessed it, sugar, fat and salt. Our bodies want to store up for the future. Unless we train them otherwise, our bodies are going to lead us to those types of foods. I think you'd like the book.
It's like investing for the future!

Savings accounts, stocks, real estate, etc.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Some people, including myself, don't order the most expensive items on the menu because someone else is footing the bill. I won't eat slop but, I won't go Surf n Turf because I have some dignity. If I am out on anothers dime I behave as if I am paying for it myself and keep it sensible. Order a bottle of Dom for $200 when I can get it for 1/2 that at a store? I won't order alcohol at all, it's all over priced.
You missed the part where I told you about the times they tried something at my house like BBQ ribs and cheese cake and couldn't eat them so they dumped them in the garbage. I assure you, they were not thinking about being frugal for me when they ordered nuggets and pizza.

Quote:
What is Royal Buffet? A typical waddle in joint where obese people eat bad food copiously until they need undo the top button of their pants to waddle out?
No. It's actually good quality food there. I typically go there to eat steamed crabs and crab legs. I like sea food.

I knew someone would be talking down to these buffet places.

My point about taking them to that place wasn't about filling them up with fatty stuff. It was about giving them a lot of options. Again, there were Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Greek, etc. And yet, the whole time all they got were chicken nuggets, french fries, and pizza.

I even suggested to them try a few things other than what they were getting and if they didn't like them just simply toss them. They made a face in disgust and went back to their nuggets, fried chicken, pizza, etc.

Let me repeat. This isn't the first time I've seen poor people not capable of eating anything other than low quality processed stuff even when the options are in front of them to try for free.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

Did you missed the part where I used to work for Habitat for Humanity and that was when I started making this observation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies