Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 05:55 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times

Advertisements

I went to the University of Chicago. There, I stayed in the dorms with some people that were sons and daughters of millionaires. These guys were literally born with silver spoons in their mouths.

I was always told that these guys would be picky eaters since they were used to having their way. And yet, over the months I was friend with them and went to classes with them, I noticed that they would try out and eat anything you put in front of them. One time, one of them asked me about the evil durian fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

They begged me to bring some for them to try. So, one weekend I visited a Vietnamese store and got some. The smell overwhelmed them like I expected. But to my surprise, every one of them lined up and tried it out. Some hated it and some thought it was sweet.

Right now in my life, off the top of my head I can name 6 people who were born poor and literally grew up on food stamps. These people are also the most picky eaters I have ever known in my life.

Just the other day, one of them visited us. I offered some delicious cheese cake of variety flavors. Cost me almost $50. She put a vanilla piece on her plate, picked a little tiny piece on her spoon, made a face with disgust, put it in her mouth, made another face, and to my surprise she dumped it into the garbage. Was it really that terrible to her?

Every single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been out with these 6 people they always order chicken nuggets or pizza with french fries. I always offer to pay, so they could have ordered anything they wanted.

One time, my boyfriend and I took a couple of them to Royal Buffet for lunch. I paid, of course. They would not get anything but chicken nuggets and pizza even though there was a Chinese bar, Japanese bar, Italian bar, etc. There were even lobsters that day. But they would not even consider trying out anything else. Just chicken nuggets and pizza.

I've had them over for BBQ where people generally agreed the ribs and chicken I BBQ'ed were good. But they were not able to eat them at all, claiming EWWWWWW!

I've been told that poor people who grew up poor can eat just about anything.

Why can't I find any poor people that will eat anything like I've been told? Why haven't I found any rich people that are annoying picky eaters like I've been told?

I'm told one thing by society, but I keep observing the opposite. Rich people who grew up rich that I know will eat anything you put in front of them. Poor people who grew up on food stamps that I know are the most picky eaters I've ever known in my life. Completely the opposite of what society generally believes. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 06:02 PM

243 posts, read 220,977 times
Just my guess.....financial stability and sence of taste are totally unrelated. Although if your saying it's 100% ratio of rich eating anything and poor being picky....your statistics are flawed.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I had a friend that is upper crust. I stopped by her home one night and her daughter was sitting at the table with some green vegetable in front of her at about 8 P. M. I gave my friend a questioning look and she told me that her daughter had to sit at the table with that food in front of her or she had to eat one bite of it. Needless to say both she and her daughter had a lot of character. She went on to say that she didn't want her daughter to be invited to a state dinner one day and be so rude as to refuse to eat the food. Maybe your classmates were brought up like that too.

Personally, my children ate what they wanted to. I feel what people choose to put in their mouths is a personal thing. My opinion is that food should not be a battle ground. I grew up on a farm and had never thought of myself as a picky eater until I hear people talk about things like sushi. It is just logical that a person with more financial means may have experienced more different choices of food. However I don't envy them that experience.

Just have to tell you the story of what happened Thanksgiving. I was suggesting some food choices that my sweet little granddaughter might like to eat. She x'ed out about every meat I mentioned. Her mother told me she was having difficulty eating meat because she didn't want the animal being killed so it could be her food. I said, "but she eats ham?" Her mother said, "Yes, because she doesn't know it comes from a piggy and we don't want her to be told that." LOL

Don't you feel sorry for people who never had the experience of being a parent. What did we do for fun before children?

Last edited by NCN; 12-25-2015 at 06:31 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 06:31 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I went to the University of Chicago. There, I stayed in the dorms with some people that were sons and daughters of millionaires. These guys were literally born with silver spoons in their mouths.

I was alwawys told that these guys would be picky eaters since they were used to having their way.
That makes no sense to me. Someone who grew up poor was probably only exposed to a limited cuisine, because of cost, so that type of cuisine is in their comfort zone.

On the other hand, someone who grew up in a wealthy family probably was exposed to a more wide ranging cuisine and also probably travelled with their family to other countries from time to time. Of course they would tend to be more adventurous in their eating habits.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:42 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
Junk food is cheap, you can ger filled up for less than $2.50

Old 12-25-2015, 09:26 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
I dunno what to tell you. I grew up on food stamps, and I'll try just lt about anything.

Matter of fact I just went by the local Thai supermarket the other day. Don't know much about their food, but I buy whatever looks interesting and give it a try. I really enjoyed the canned braised eel.

I'm a big fan of Mexican, Mediterranean, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, El Salvadoran, German, Italian. Plenty of others I haven't tried... but I will- especially when we finally get out of this boring Midwestern city.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:36 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,707 times
Your wealthier friends had the opportunity to experience different foods from a young age. They were probably exposed to a variety of cuisines from different parts of the world. They learned to appreciate foods with different appearances and different textures and different flavor profiles.

Your friends from a poorer background probably grew up eating chicken nuggets and pizza. That's all they know. Now that they are adults, it would be very difficult for them to train their palates to appreciate food that is different from what they consider "normal." They grew up, but elements of their social skills and taste preferences never really matured. We've all met children who are actually frightened of new foods. These adults are having a similar reaction. They never learned to appreciate a wide variety of tastes, so unfamiliar flavors and textures can seem repulsive to them, and they are afraid to try something new. Cheesecake is a wonderful thing to some people. To your friends, certain elements of the taste might remind them of sour milk, so that is what they imagine they are eating.

It is possible to train one's palate to appreciate and enjoy different foods, but the desire has to be there first. Your poorer friends have no experience of anything other than what they already know, and it is what everyone in their family eats, so they probably see no reason to eat anything that is unfamiliar.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:39 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,980,425 times
Quote:

I was always told that these guys would be picky eaters since they were used to having their way. And yet, over the months I was friend with them and went to classes with them, I noticed that they would try out and eat anything you put in front of them. One time, one of them asked me about the evil durian fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

They begged me to bring some for them to try. So, one weekend I visited a Vietnamese store and got some. The smell overwhelmed them like I expected. But to my surprise, every one of them lined up and tried it out. Some hated it and some thought it was sweet.

Right now in my life, off the top of my head I can name 6 people who were born poor and literally grew up on food stamps. These people are also the most picky eaters I have ever known in my life.

Just the other day, one of them visited us. I offered some delicious cheese cake of variety flavors. Cost me almost $50. She put a vanilla piece on her plate, picked a little tiny piece on her spoon, made a face with disgust, put it in her mouth, made another face, and to my surprise she dumped it into the garbage. Was it really that terrible to her?

Every single time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been out with these 6 people they always order chicken nuggets or pizza with french fries. I always offer to pay, so they could have ordered anything they wanted.

One time, my boyfriend and I took a couple of them to Royal Buffet for lunch. I paid, of course. They would not get anything but chicken nuggets and pizza even though there was a Chinese bar, Japanese bar, Italian bar, etc. There were even lobsters that day. But they would not even consider trying out anything else. Just chicken nuggets and pizza.

I've had them over for BBQ where people generally agreed the ribs and chicken I BBQ'ed were good. But they were not able to eat them at all, claiming EWWWWWW!

I've been told that poor people who grew up poor can eat just about anything.

Why can't I find any poor people that will eat anything like I've been told? Why haven't I found any rich people that are annoying picky eaters like I've been told?

I'm told one thing by society, but I keep observing the opposite. Rich people who grew up rich that I know will eat anything you put in front of them. Poor people who grew up on food stamps that I know are the most picky eaters I've ever known in my life. Completely the opposite of what society generally believes. Why?
You've been conditioned by the progressive left to believe things that aren't necessarily true. This is one instance where you're waking up from that mind control.

People who grow up with expectations that society will always support a standard of living for them in which nothing is expected of them in return are the kinds of people who will approach challenges with that maturity level.

Your assumption that those same people are "poor" is wrong--they are prevented by the left from being poor, from experiencing what poverty is like if they don't work at something.

Last edited by mm4; 12-25-2015 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-25-2015, 09:40 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:

You've been told all of this because people want to think the poor are more sophisticated in their tastes and behavior than they actually are. They still want to believe in the old "noble savage" myth from centuries ago.

The real world often doesn't operate the way people claims it does. You sound oddly frustrated about this. Why not just accept it and move on?

Old 12-25-2015, 09:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
you can never tell what people are willing to eat or not eat. and it doesnt matter if they are high born or low born, or even middle born. i have known people from all races and classes who will eat just about anything put in front of them, and others that wont touch anything but a few food items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies