Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Ultimately it seems like they already succeeded in their goal. Getting people to talk about the challanges faced by ranchers and other in western states with large BLM land control.
If that's the goal, why can't they find someone slightly more sympathetic than a couple of serial arsonists?

Old 01-03-2016, 07:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
If that's the goal, why can't they find someone slightly more sympathetic than a couple of serial arsonists?
Using burns to control invasive species and back burns to protect property is hardly a rare occurrence in that region. The first burn sounds questionable, the second? Not at all and using laws that were put in place to prosecute attempted terror following OKC is ridiculous. Sound like a good example to me.

Obviously the original judge agreed the law was garbage when they did no sentence them to the minimum.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Found on Twitter :

Tags for what's happening in Oregon: #YeeHawdists, #VanillaISIS, #YallQaeda
Fantastic.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:17 PM

Something officially smells here. How many people are actually in this building? Why are there STILL no pictures? Why the media blackout?

On January 2, 2016, various patriot organizations under the direction of the Oregon 3% and associated groups organized a peaceful rally in Burns, Oregon in a show of support for the Hammonds Family and the community of Harney County. The immediate aims of this peaceful protest were to voice dissent of the wrongful prosecution of the Hammonds, the family’s subsequent decision to report to prison for federal charges, and for the refusal of the Sherriff to protect and support the citizens of Harney County. Following the peaceful protest, members of militias and individuals voiced their decision to “take a hard stand” which would be to seize a Federal National Wildlife Refuge building in Malheur County, and succeeded in doing so.*

Unbeknownst to the Idaho 3%, Oregon 3%, it’s leaders, associations, rally participants, or the citizens of Harney County; these actions were premeditated and carried out by a small group of persons who chose to carry out this takeover after the rally. The 3% of Idaho, 3% of Oregon, The Oregon Constitutional Guard, and PPN organizations in no way condone nor support these actions. They do not mirror our vision, mission statement, or views in regards to upholding the Constitution, The Rule of Law, or Due Process.

During the weeks leading up to the rally, none of the aforementioned groups made any Calls to Arms to it’s members, nor planned or advocated for any form of armed uprising. The citizens of Harney County remain in solidarity with the aforementioned groups, as well as support our efforts to remain peaceful in our attempt to exercise the 1st Amendment Right. For the time being, we will remain in Harney County to continue to show our support for the Hammonds, and the community. We will continue to release updates and information as it is available. We want to personally thank the citizens of Harney County and the city of Burns for their hospitality.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:34 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,703 times
"Patriots"
There is a word that had been ruined of late.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Ultimately it seems like they already succeeded in their goal. Getting people to talk about the challanges faced by ranchers and other in western states with large BLM land control.
There is nothing new about this. In the late 70's in Utah a group that wanted to take control of federal lands in our state gave this movement the name "Sage Brush Rebellion". I am told there had been a similar movement years before. The creation of Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming upset a lot of local people who thought ranching would do more for the local economy than a world class national park would.

People can talk about this matter all they want too.

Nothing is going to change the basic land tenure relationship between the states and the federal government.

I ought to add this: There are some legitimate concerns about the way federal land is being managed. The proper way to deal with this is to contact your Congressman and complain if appropriate. Congress has to appropriate money to run the BLM and other land management agencies. For this reason, they will listen to your Congressman. I don't deny that a management problem may exist on some level. However, the answer isn't simply giving away this land to the states for nothing.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
However, the answer isn't simply giving away this land to the states for nothing.
Any people calling for that? A good example is the UT resolution that passed asking for the opportunity to BUY the land. Clearly the US gov does not value the land if they are charging so little for access.

Releasing much of the land in the private market for sale is also a reasonable solution. No dont sell national parks but land used for grazing and pretty much nothing else? Why not? What do I in MA gain from the fed controlling essentially fallow land?

Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,967,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
A local Oregon reporter got a pic of the Malheur supply room stockpile.

Before anybody clicks the link -- I too, expected some huge and well organized stock of provisions, comm gear, and an arsenal.

https://mobile.twitter.com/amandapea...41037207007232

I was expecting those survivalist kits they sell at Walmart and Costco, http://www.costco.com/32%2c500-Total...100147376.html not a bag of chips. If they are planning to stay there then they are as crazy as the Jonestown crowd.

I don't think these clowns are planning to stay there long. They'll leave as soon as they get a craving for Taco Bell or Chinese food.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I was expecting those survivalist kits they sell at Walmart and Costco, not a bag of chips.

I don't think these clowns are planning to stay there long.
I am getting the impression there is actually nobody there. There has yet to be any credible looking pictures in the media beyond the initial protest of these people occupying this building... why not?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,347 times
Quote:
Releasing much of the land in the private market for sale is also a reasonable solution. No dont sell national parks but land used for grazing and pretty much nothing else? Why not?
One factor is that a certain number of the ranchers in those areas would be opposed to such sales as they cant afford to buy the land themselves and private owners may, or may not allow their customary leases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies