Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 04:20 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm thinking about it in the sense of basic rights in this country, you can twist it however you like but you're still wrong.
Tell you what..., you can twist what I twist all you want, but it just makes you more wrong!

How's that for an equally convincing come back?!?

And there I thought we had something a little more sensible of an exchange going. Just not sure a shop keeper that wants no guns in his/her store is disrespecting your rights, that's all. Not sure how that is "twisting" anything other than addressing your claim to the contrary, as a bit rash on your part, but as you will of course.

This simple declaration of who is right or wrong regardless sure is easier than thinking. I give you that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 04:32 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Not a surprise,. considering the fact they contradict themselves daily and wear it like a badge. They fear their own "whiteness" the gun and the sun. Again, Idiots beget idiocy, and this country is being guided by idiots ATM.

Of course....Should we expect any different?

Old 01-22-2016, 04:34 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Keep and bear arms is in the constitution, mind you.
Many of your constitutional rights don't apply to the private property of others (i.e. where they can come in disagreement with the rights of those who own that property).

You have the right to free speech, but you don't have the right to speak to the crowd of shoppers in a private store if the owner doesn't want you to.

You have the right to bear arms but a private property owner can ask you to leave, and they will be within their rights on their property.

None of this deprives you of your rights. Because you have no right to be at someone's private place of business or residence to begin with.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am waiting for the OTHER" non-"cowboys" start packing their arsenals in the streets - talk about old ladies getting frantic if they hear someone talking Spanish at Denny's-- imaginable when they plop their old colt .45 on the table! or if the entire family comes in packing--hmhm --you will get what you ask for
Funny thing is, while you were eating at Denny's, you probably had guns around you (concealed) and never knew it, and yet you and you family walked away.....: eek:

Old 01-22-2016, 06:22 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Many of your constitutional rights don't apply to the private property of others (i.e. where they can come in disagreement with the rights of those who own that property).

You have the right to free speech, but you don't have the right to speak to the crowd of shoppers in a private store if the owner doesn't want you to.

You have the right to bear arms but a private property owner can ask you to leave, and they will be within their rights on their property.

None of this deprives you of your rights. Because you have no right to be at someone's private place of business or residence to begin with.
Is that like the same right to sue some one for not baking a cake they want ?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:58 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The real question is how is that not discrimination? I am discriminated by a business because I am lawfully carrying a gun, a constitutional right. What's the difference between they refuse to make the cake because I am gay? Is being gay a constitutional right?
Sure it's discrimination. So what? There is a short list of prohibited reasons for discrimination. Sexual orientation happens to be on the list. Your constitutional rights weren't important enough to make the list.

I don't care if you want to carry open, concealed or not at all. Your preference. I see open carry as a possible deterrent, but a determine attack will surely paint a target on that person first. The concealed carry will have a tactical advantage, but may encounter a higher chance of an attack by a more stupid criminal unaware of the weapon thinking they have an easy target. The unarmed person will be a victim of either predator. There will be smart people and dumb people making this choice and I wish I could see the "stupid" sign over every idiots head, but I will just have to see their behavior and figure it out as I go along. Some carry for show and others for effect. I feel sorry for the showboaters, but that is their choice even if I have to live with effect they have on society.

I think a lot of these businesses are pandering to the customer base they think will bring them the most revenue. I will just avoid those places because they are advertising their vulnerability. This just makes them a more risky environment and a smart person avoids unsafe locations.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No. Posting a "no guns" sign does not create a law, so you are not breaking a law if carry anyway.
This.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Instead of making open and concealed carry easier the new law is making it harder. I've seen more "no gun" signs going up than I saw before the new law - both 30.06 signs (no concealed carry) and 30.07 signs (no open carry).

I don't see any "Backfire" here at all. SO people are putting up signs? Big Deal. Open carry is not such a good idea in a business anyway. Everyone still has the right to carry, and putting up a sign that says "No Concealed" Carry means nothing, since you don't know who is or isn't.

The only folks who think this is a "Big Deal" are the anti-gun folks, who see this as some divine sign from Heaven, that everyone will suddenly give up their guns one day. Hilarious.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:13 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,573,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Apparently you didn't see the 2nd link in the OP? It's a list of more than 400 businesses, and many of the listings are large chains (Cinemark, Waffle House, Target, Texas Health Medical Group) that represent hundreds of locations.

. Signs mean nothing when you have a right to carry. You can also be assured that if some one is not carrying concealed, its not because of some lame sign that means nothing and has no teeth. You can also bet that those who still will carry, aren't going to change their minds because of the same lame signs .

Last edited by Boris347; 01-22-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 07:19 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I have a really silly question..Open carry folks walk into a business..How is the business owner or anyone else for that matter KNOW this person actually has a permit for it..For all you know..they could be stocking..awaiting other bandits to enter..and then open fire....???

I do think the increase in LE killing of unarmed folks is due to ASSUMING they are carrying....concealed...until after they shot the target dead..only to find out..yikes..Felt fear for my life because I ASSumed they had a gun...

It's actually come down to a catch-22 situation..LE is at risk always..but when so many have access to concealed permits/or open carry for that matter..How are they ( business establishments) to know if they are the GOOD GUYS or the BAD GUYS??? especially when they open fire on them without even ascertaining legality of firearm ownership?

While legal ownership is ascertained ( when entering a bar for example)..Is this gun owner a "Good Drunk" or a BAD Drunk"?? From experience I've seen both..when Good Drunks imbibe..They get happy..but BAD Drunks look for a fight and become angry, vindictive, confrontational..and those personality types really need to NOT OWN firearms IMO... Hindsight and regrets is much too late with what could unfold!!! Then again..many will say..Wellllll.They will get justice ..LOL...

My point is..so many innocents get killed..leaving grieving families behind..Guilty verdict or deferral too serving the Country ala Track Palin as an example..doesn't change the threat level of said person if proven history of alcohol abuses and anger management issues ( long before Military service)..

Sorry..But Palin blame games ( know it's political) truly expose just how affluenza defines ( Blame deferral for behaviours onto others ) how rich folks get away with deflecting responsibility .. Just for the record..Mr. Track was a Juvie..long before entering Military ( charged for cutting brake lines of school buses) 2005-2008 entered Military

Bottomline is really..Business is NOT their to protect the low percentage citizen who actually own guns..BUT to protect their Customers...by signage..They are insulating themselves from liability IF some drunk/crazed gun totting idiot shoots up their joint..It then negates their Liability wise..ALL liability is on SHOOTER !!
Your last paragraph is entirely false. By placing signage to the effect that the shop assumes responsibility for the customer's safety, they open themselves up to a lot of legal headaches.
Verizon stores did this for a few weeks until their lawyers advised otherwise.
And what is a gun totting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies