Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 05:33 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootingforthesun View Post
The majority of us here in Canada have never owned or seen a gun. Open and concealed carry is also banned country wide. The shooting happened on a reserve in the middle of nowhere in northern Saskatchwan. This will never happen in Toronto.
You were saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wow! What a bunch of lies.

Fact: Canadians own more than 10,000,000 guns.

Fact: Canadians need and want guns or they would not have bought ten million of them.

Fact: In 2011, there were over 22 million Christians out of 32 million citizens.

Fact: Religion is quite relevant in Canadian society.
10 million guns equates to 30 guns per 100 people. Of course people may own more than one gun so the actual number of people owning guns will be lower.
Of those people if you weed out occupations that require guns, the next group would be hunters and people who live in rural areas.
Handguns are allowed if your job requires one, or you belong to a gun target shooting club. Your bullets remain at the club, and your gun has to be in a special box that locks. You must also have a permit to transfer your gun. You must go straight to your club and home. No stopping on the way.
So this need you talk about is not for protection.

Compare that to the US, where you have 112 guns per 100 people....again knowing that one person will own more than one gun, and that many of those guns are handguns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number...ita_by_country

Religion is less relevant in Canada than the US. Especially in politics. Canada is one of the least religious countries in the world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ous-countries/

Old 01-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Saying a school shooting would never happen in Toronto is of course silly. It can happen anywhere. How often is the real point though, isn't it?

It is rare in Canada. This school shooting was the first one in a decade. How many in the US?

Toronto had 56 homicides in 2015. 26 by gun.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:58 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Saying a school shooting would never happen in Toronto is of course silly. It can happen anywhere. How often is the real point though, isn't it?

It is rare in Canada. This school shooting was the first one in a decade. How many in the US?

Canada has about 32 million people, add a zero to the end of that to get the US population.

Look at post #52 in this thread to see how the US stacks up against other countries when it comes to mass shootings. You may be surprised to see the US has less mass shootings than some of the European countries.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:03 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

The U.S. has many, many more. Our population is nine times the number of Canada's and we have a serious gang violence problem that drives the yearly toll. But you already knew that. You're just pushing for a bit of deflection and hey, that's OK. I hope your violence doesn't get worse up there. I wish we had less here. We're all in this together.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Ok. How about Finland, Israel and Slovakia?
What about them? Finland has had 2 in the time period, and 3 in the last 100 years. I am surprised Israel had not had more. Seems like Slovakia has had one. I believe Finland is in top 5 in private gun ownership in the world.

Actually, no, Finland has more or less the same amount of guns per 100 people as Canada.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootingforthesun View Post
Canadians don't need or want guns. "muh right ta bear arms!!" is an American concept. We are absolutely nothing like you. Most people in Canada do NOT own guns, we are majority liberal and religion has no relevance in our politics or society. Unlike the U.S...
You are not living in my Canada are you? There are 30.8 guns for every 100 people in Canada...Bear in mind that many of those 100 people are either children or elderly.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Canada has about 32 million people, add a zero to the end of that to get the US population.

Look at post #52 in this thread to see how the US stacks up against other countries when it comes to mass shootings. You may be surprised to see the US has less mass shootings than some of the European countries.
Norway is high because of that massacre in 2011. I'm curious where it would be on the list now.

This list is very incomplete, but claiming things are not so bad because 5 countries on that list are above the US is faulty in my opinion. Where would the US be if all countries were on that list?

Look at the murder rates in countries worldwide. Look at the amount of gun deaths per country worldwide, including accidental and suicides, then tell me that things are fine in the US.

Canada actually has 35 million people, so of course the numbers will be less, but per capita is what counts.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
The U.S. has many, many more. Our population is nine times the number of Canada's and we have a serious gang violence problem that drives the yearly toll. But you already knew that. You're just pushing for a bit of deflection and hey, that's OK. I hope your violence doesn't get worse up there. I wish we had less here. We're all in this together.
Nice try. I've seen Americans do this trick when trying to save face on these forums. Don't like a stat, remove the offending piece that makes that stat not fit what you want, and presto !

You are basically saying " well the US wouldn't have so many gun deaths and murders if it weren't for gun deaths and murders"

Old 01-24-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are not living in my Canada are you? There are 30.8 guns for every 100 people in Canada...Bear in mind that many of those 100 people are either children or elderly.
...they were comparing gun ownership to the US, which is 112 per 100 people. Also the type of gun plays an important role.
I'm curious as to what the percentage of those 30.8 guns in Canada are handguns, compared to the US.
My guess....not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies