Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,218,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Whiteness is a socially and politically constructed behavior. It has a long history in European imperialism and epistemologies. Whiteness does not simply refer to skin color but an ideology based on beliefs, values, behaviors, habits and attitudes, which result in the unequal distribution of power and privilege based on skin color. Whiteness represents a position of power where the power holder defines social categories and reality—the master narrator. Whiteness originates racism. It is relational. “White” only exists in relation/opposition to other categories in the racial hierarchy produced by whiteness. Whiteness is a state of consciousness, often invisible, shaping how white people view themselves and others and thus perpetuating ignorance throughout communities. Cultural racism is founded in the belief that "whiteness" is the universal...and allows one to think and speak as if Whiteness described and defined the world. The meaning of whiteness is historical and has shifted over time​."

Whiteness History Month | Portland Community College

How about you read the link the OP provided so we don`t have to debate what you didn`t bother to read.
How about you learn basic reading and comprehension skills. Again, where does it state that only whites are racist?

"Whiteness originates racism" is not the same as stating that whites alone are racist.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:48 PM

38,666 posts, read 26,480,799 times
Quote:
"Whiteness is a socially and politically constructed behavior. It has a long history in European imperialism and epistemologies. Whiteness does not simply refer to skin color but an ideology based on beliefs, values, behaviors, habits and attitudes, which result in the unequal distribution of power and privilege based on skin color. Whiteness represents a position of power where the power holder defines social categories and reality—the master narrator. Whiteness originates racism. It is relational. “White” only exists in relation/opposition to other categories in the racial hierarchy produced by whiteness. Whiteness is a state of consciousness, often invisible, shaping how white people view themselves and others and thus perpetuating ignorance throughout communities. Cultural racism is founded in the belief that "whiteness" is the universal...and allows one to think and speak as if Whiteness described and defined the world. The meaning of whiteness is historical and has shifted over time​."

Whiteness History Month | Portland Community College

How about you read the link the OP provided so we don`t have to debate what you didn`t bother to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
How about you learn basic reading and comprehension skills. Again, where does it state that only whites are racist?

"Whiteness originates racism" is not the same as stating that whites alone are racist.

"Whiteness represents a position of power where the power holder defines social categories and reality—the master narrator."

More than one "master narrator"?

Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
"Whiteness represents a position of power where the power holder defines social categories and reality—the master narrator."

More than one "master narrator"?
Again, how and where does this say that whites alone are racist?

It is a fact that whites created the existing racial categories, which obviously includes white/whiteness. With power, they were imposed on others. And?

It is not as though the origins of modern racial ideology are unknown. Nowhere does it state that whites alone are racist.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Treyvon Martin was killed in a town just a little north of where we live--about 30 minutes away.

We were shocked, angry, that a good kid walking home could be killed by a wanna be cop. Our son could not understand why he was singled out by this guy. My son was just starting high school at the time.

We took that opportunity to educate our son about the atrosities and prejudices blacks have faced over the centuries, what they deal with now. We spent quite a bit of time on it, studied the differences between Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, went over a lot of history.

We have instilled in our son that all men are created equal, that no matter the race, that we always have and always will stand next to our brother or sister who are being wronged and fight with them regardless of their race.

When Michael Brown was shot by the police officer, we taught him the difference of what happened to Brown versus Martin. He understands there are consequences for breaking the law.

At no point in time did we ever teach him that whites should be punished for it--no white privilege tax like Clinton is advocating, no pushing and shoving of whites or any race by any other race is acceptable, as we saw in videos at one of the colleges recently. If my son or daughter got on TV like I have seen, and said they are ashamed of being white, I would believe I failed as a parent and serious intervention would take place.

I don't know why people can't teach their children these things. In the meantime, my son will walk in dignity on campus, will treat others with dignity and respect, and defend himself if attacked because of his race. We would not at all do well in Oregon.
This is awesome! I think it is really important to talk about these things with your kids. My parents talked about all sorts of things with me growing up. First and foremost people are individuals and should be judged on their own behaviors. But there were also ways that I may be treated by some people, and also how I should present myself for the best possible outcome. But to also be aware that I could do the right things, but it doesn't guarantee I'll always be treated fairly.

We probably disagree about Michael Brown. In my view he wasn't a threat that needed deadly force. He may have committed a pretty minor crime. We shouldn't use that to justify deadly force at any point, I think police officers are being trained to overuse force and escalate instead of deescalate situations. This makes thing a lot worse!

It is ok to agree to disagree. And it is ok to talk about uncomfortable things. But you can listen mindfully and treat your fellow participants civilly.

One of my good friends is a white woman from a blue collar working class background. She is one of the first in her family to go to college (college started at her generation). I grew up middle class with college educated parents. This means there are some privileges I have, and some that she has. And we recognize that we will experience the world differently because of how we grew up and how we are perceived in society! We have lots of good, important conversations. And it is great!

I think this video does a stellar job explaining how layered the concept of privilege is. It is not as simple as "white" and "black" and that is important to differentiate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5f8GuNuGQ

Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,462,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
No one assumes white people are qualified merely by being white.
To be white around other white people is to be in competition with other white people.

And if you fail, it's on you.

There is no one else to point the finger at.

Quote:
In actuality, you would not be able to weather an actual frank and un-policed conversation.
LOL.

When people say "We need to have an honest conversation about race," what they mean is "I'll do all the talking, and you'll do all the agreeing with me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
So you want benefits to be meted out by racial statistics, but not penalties? I think that you have to sit down and think hard about whether you want to be individuals or a group. Serious talk. You cannot have it both ways and expect to be taken seriously on any adult level. You wanted a "real" conversation, and here it is. I doubt that you are up for it. Loan risk is generally assessed in risk pools. You have self-defined your group for political gain, ethnic identity celebration, and rent seeking. Do you want the results of these politics or do you not? We can assess you as individuals or as a race. If as individuals, that means no more affirmative action, no more segregation assessments, etc. If as a race, you cannot expect racial statistics to not play a part in policy in the private nor public sector, for better and worse.
Excellent point!

A true non-racist or anti-racist would want us to be judged strictly as individuals.

But that's not what we are seeing today.

Instead, we are judged on the basis of race.

And individual rights are replaced by racial "group rights" -- such as racial "preferences" in college admissions, hiring, promotion, and government contracting that discriminate in favor of certain races while discriminating against other races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'll use my favorite criticism of the all lives matter phrase. When you are at a fundraiser for breast cancer/heart disease/ diabetes is anyone complaining that you are not focusing on all diseases? Have you done a cancer run or walk that was interrupted by an all diseases matter activist?

Saying black lives matter doesn't add an implied everyone else's doesn't.
And saying all lives matter doesn't imply that black lives don't matter.

All lives include black lives.

So this complaint about someone saying all lives matter is ridiculous on its face.

Quote:
No racism is an individual and collective concept. When the US constitution was written and didn't count black people as full people, doesn't that sound like a racist system or policy to you? The impact of laws like that doesn't end in a bar fight.

I don't worry about individual racism - I can't control that. But when that racism translates into laws or policies and systems it is a problem.
The policies I see that are racist nowadays are those upholding racial and gender preferences in college admissions, hiring, promotion, and government contracting that allow racial discrimination against whites and gender discrimination against males -- in blatant violation of the Civil Rights Act that forbids discrimination on the basis of race and gender.

I don't notice you complaining about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
White guys in America whining about how tough they've got it.
Actually, the article is about non-whites complaining about how tough they've got it.

Quote:
I finally understand! I am a racist because I think it would be helpful to engage in a conversation on what whiteness is and how we created it in our American context!
Actually, it is racist.

There is no difference between the Nazis fulminating about Jewishness and you fulminating about whiteness.

No difference at all.

Hitler derided "Jewish science," "Jewish art," Jewish "influence and power," etc.

Jewishness for him was a "problem" that needed to be "solved."

There is nothing in your posts that indicates that you do not subscribe to his mentality -- but in this case, it is "whiteness" that is the "problem" in need of a "solution."

Quote:

Saying "whiteness originates racism" is pretty much the same thing as saying that whites alone are racist.

It is a distinction without a difference.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:57 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
I'm just going to share this cartoon.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
Keep in mind that this is a community college. Not a real institute of higher education.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Saying "whiteness originates racism" is pretty much the same thing as saying that whites alone are racist.

It is a distinction without a difference.
Such an assumption is simply playing the victim for no reason. The reality is that modern race and racism began with the construction of the ideology of whiteness by certain Europeans. Europeans spread it and the descendants in the U.S. further developed it. Nowhere does the College state that others have not accepted such ideology. To deny that would be inaccurate and idiotic.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:27 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,462,093 times
Quote:
Such an assumption is simply playing the victim for no reason. The reality is that modern race and racism began with the construction of the ideology of whiteness by certain Europeans. Europeans spread it and the descendants in the U.S. further developed it. Nowhere does the College state that others have not accepted such ideology. To deny that would be inaccurate and idiotic.
Europeans can't help it that they were the first to be literate and come up with ideas about race and everything else.

You are benefiting right now from those ideas.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Europeans can't help it that they were the first to be literate and come up with ideas about race and everything else.

You are benefiting right now from those ideas.
Acutally, Europeans weren't the first to be literate, not by a longshot. However, modern ideas of race and racism is backward ideology that has polluted the world. Those who developed and perpetuated those ideas will answer to God for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies