Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the phrase "Voting against their own interests" offensive to you, regardless of what pa
Yes 20 35.09%
No 10 17.54%
Doesn't bother me either way 27 47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:09 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,966,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let us say you are wealthy and gay. It may be in your economic interest to vote Republican but on social issues you may prefer Democrats.
Exactly, that's me. Except I won't vote for the Republicans anymore because they are religious zealots and most want to kill me. And I won't for for democrats because THEY want to take my guns away so the Republicans CAN kill me. There is no solution short of anarchy.

Why oh why can't we just have a MODERATE government that doesn't STEAL and SQUANDER our money, that respects the Constitution and rights of all and is willing to compromise for the good of everyone. Is that so much to ask?

What is really sad/sick is at this point I'd rather have that commie Sanders over the criminal Hillary and Trump over the religious extremists. How can any man run for president on a platform of taking rights away from Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:17 AM

572 posts, read 280,577 times
It can be used in a condescending way, but it doesn't top terms like 'sheeple' or when people say 'wake up people', as if people cannot be aware of the issues and disagree with some idiot at the same time.

This attitude used to be exclusive property of the conspiracy nuts who thought the Matrix was real, but has made its way into mainstream political discourse thanks to loudmouths like Limbaugh.

I honestly don't think I've ever come across someone who has used terms like that while making a complex, insightful point. It's always some variant of 'the government cannot be trusted and we're on the verge of becoming its slaves, protect your freedoms before the apocalypse!!!'

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,403,560 times
Then when you do vote for your own interests you are called racist and greedy.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:14 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,448,340 times
Democrats and liberals think they're smart, and never fail to let you know that they think they're smart.

They're actually stupid.

Smart people don't need to brag about it.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,448,340 times
Quote:
Let us say you are wealthy and gay. It may be in your economic interest to vote Republican but on social issues you may prefer Democrats.
You may.

On the other hand, Obama was against gay marriage until about two years ago, and Clinton signed off on "don't ask, don't tell" and the "Defense of Marriage Act."

Yeah, those Democrats were so great on gay rights.

It's ironic that the head of Mozilla was fired for advocating traditional marriage -- with gays calling for his head -- when Obama had advocated the same thing -- but he was a hero to gays.

Yep, the dems brainwashed the gays. Just like they brainwashed minorities.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 AM

285 posts, read 177,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Democrats and liberals think they're smart, and never fail to let you know that they think they're smart.

They're actually stupid.

I guess you're an exception then?

Quote:
I'm smarter than any of you liberals, and I support Trump.
Quote:
I guarantee you that I'm smarter than any liberal posting here, and any liberal, period.
Quote:
I'm certainly smarter than you are.

You have yet to win an argument with me.

But I give you credit for trying.
Quote:
You just showed that I'm smarter than you.
Quote:
The issue is the lying liberal media making up stuff about Trump's voters.

I'm smart enough to see through that.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,763,032 times
Quote:

They're actually stupid.

There are smart and stupid people on both sides of the aisle. Often the only difference between the two is that the "smarter" ones are just more eloquent when they are expressing their delusions. Intelligence does not make one immune from bias.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:46 AM

572 posts, read 280,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
I guess you're an exception then?
I guess people don't say pwned anymore... but they should, because sometimes it really fits.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:33 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Am I the only one that finds this statement highly offensive? I usually hear it from democrats ...
Really? There must have been at least ten threads started by republicans about how blacks are voting against their own interests when they vote democrat, and it's used in many posts by republicans.

And, yes, I find that highly offensive.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,957,836 times
Quote:
Except, if one votes Democrat they have a future of being a "victim" like all the others. Democrats don't exactly make good future voters, they end up making diverse angry victims.......not a very good interest for society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Then when you do vote for your own interests you are called racist and greedy.
For many ONLY one party holds this. I think we should start suing the Dems for ensuing violence upon the people! The BLM group seem to think they can go around beating up people who don't support BLM.......the newest a returning Iraq soldier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies