Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the phrase "Voting against their own interests" offensive to you, regardless of what pa
Yes 20 35.09%
No 10 17.54%
Doesn't bother me either way 27 47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:59 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
That assumes money is the only thing with value. Pretty materialistic.

So if you are forced into prostitution but get to keep half the money your interests were advanced!
Being forced into anything is against one's interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 07:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What idiots would be offended that stupid statement.

Oh, see poll.
Being offended is a choice.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:12 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let us say you are wealthy and gay. It may be in your economic interest to vote Republican but on social issues you may prefer Democrats.
Or you are working class and work in the oil industry. Anyone who says that person voting for a Republican is voting against their interests hasn't listened to Democrats about the fossil fuel industry.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Exactly, that's me. Except I won't vote for the Republicans anymore because they are religious zealots and most want to kill me. And I won't for for democrats because THEY want to take my guns away so the Republicans CAN kill me. There is no solution short of anarchy.

Why oh why can't we just have a MODERATE government that doesn't STEAL and SQUANDER our money, that respects the Constitution and rights of all and is willing to compromise for the good of everyone. Is that so much to ask?

What is really sad/sick is at this point I'd rather have that commie Sanders over the criminal Hillary and Trump over the religious extremists. How can any man run for president on a platform of taking rights away from Americans?
Who wants to kill you, and why?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:21 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I always see the 'voting against their own interests' as more of a losing whine. Rs complain about anyone who believe in God or makes a decent living voting D and D's complain about anyone who is gay/minority/poor voting R.

The basic truth is people have to prioritize their interests. My mother is a very staunch Catholic and constantly has people trying to lay guilt trips on her for voting Democratic but to her it is the only option since she is anti-death penalty, anti war, pro poor/displaced people and pro social justice which are all major church teachings. Others look at the church position on abortion as their personal line in the sand and vote the other way. She is fine with that but gawd help you if you are a non Catholic who feels the right to badger her over abortion while ignoring the other main stances of the church.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
The BLM group seem to think they can go around beating up people who don't support BLM.......the newest a returning Iraq soldier.
Prove that those kids were actual members of that group.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I always see the 'voting against their own interests' as more of a losing whine. Rs complain about anyone who believe in God or makes a decent living voting D and D's complain about anyone who is gay/minority/poor voting R.

The basic truth is people have to prioritize their interests. My mother is a very staunch Catholic and constantly has people trying to lay guilt trips on her for voting Democratic but to her it is the only option since she is anti-death penalty, anti war, pro poor/displaced people and pro social justice which are all major church teachings. Others look at the church position on abortion as their personal line in the sand and vote the other way. She is fine with that but gawd help you if you are a non Catholic who feels the right to badger her over abortion while ignoring the other main stances of the church.
I hate to say it, but abortion is the only thing the Democrats deliver in that list. They are not anti-war, pro poor/displaced people or pro social justice, at least not in actual practice. It's a tough choice when there really aren't many differences in the parties from a practical standpoint.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Except, if one votes Democrat they have a future of being a "victim" like all the others. Democrats don't exactly make good future voters, they end up making diverse angry victims.......not a very good interest for society.

For many ONLY one party holds this. I think we should start suing the Dems for ensuing violence upon the people! The BLM group seem to think they can go around beating up people who don't support BLM.......the newest a returning Iraq soldier.

>>>> That Bureau Of Land Management has really gotten violent.
All joking aside, I can tell you the last time I heard that exact phrase used. It was in a store not more than 6 months ago and two African American ladies were in an aisle and they were talking about Spanish people voting conservative based on religious issues and letting economic and race issues work against them. When I said that those using that term are more guilty of it than anyone, I meant it absolutely.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:25 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
There own interests is not their own interests... blacks are the example.. they are still stuck in ghettos.. the democrats stick them in public housing away from their fine neighborhoods and then act as if they are doing blacks a favor.. The Republicans say, hey, get out of the ghetto, work hard, get in a decent neighborhood and your color is not holding you back..

The dems always point to the color of skin and say they are less and need public assistance to survive in that ghetto. The dems message is keeping blacks down and robs them of their self worth.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Am I the only one that finds this statement highly offensive? I usually hear it from democrats as what I can only assume is an attempt to covertly say "Look, you are an idiot and we know whats best for you" without actually saying it. The assumption that they know the background, inputs, desires, thought process, and life story of people they literally don't even know is incredibly arrogant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Anyone who votes is voting against their own interests.
I voted NO because it is not really that offensive, and it is often TRUE!

For example, take a local issue like taxes here on Long Island. Long Islanders complain about taxes all year long. Why are my taxes so high, I cannot afford it, I am leaving, my kids won't be able to live here etc. Taxes, taxes, taxes all the time. Especially school taxes. So what do they do when the school budget vote comes up every year? They almost always pass it without even knowing what is in it and their taxes goes up! Then the complaining about taxes starts again. Why are my taxes so high, I cannot afford it, I am leaving, my kids won't be able to live here......

Regarding establishment politicians (the Bushes and the Clinton types), No Recess pretty much nailed it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies