Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 03:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
For those that are genuinely curious, I found the feedback of these ten Leave voters interesting. This appears to have been almost a class vote with a lot of London resentment. Here I'm thinking "What about London? All those jobs lost?" and they're kind of saying "Good!". Whether it's positive or not for country, it explains it more.

Meet 10 Britons who voted to leave the EU | Politics | The Guardian
In the pictures and interviews, hardly an old retired person in the bunch. Most are fairly young.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:10 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
You're disregarding the fact that in all likelihood the EU will continue to become a weakened state. It's not going to become stronger anytime soon.

Greece and the PIG state banking crisis will be back in the news cycle shortly and it will continue to create bad fortune for the EU.

If Marine le Pen is elected and the Germans knock out Merkel - the EU is done - the remains will never factor into anything.

Dave -- Good job on putting your opinion out there.

Jeff Sessions gives the British people an old fashioned fist bump :

Sessions: Now it's our turn to Brexit | Washington Examiner
Jeff Sessions "gets it."

So do Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham.

And, of course, Trump.

They are all hated by the globalist kleptocracy.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:24 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
For those that are genuinely curious, I found the feedback of these ten Leave voters interesting. This appears to have been almost a class vote with a lot of London resentment. Here I'm thinking "What about London? All those jobs lost?" and they're kind of saying "Good!". Whether it's positive or not for country, it explains it more.

Meet 10 Britons who voted to leave the EU | Politics | The Guardian
Just exchange London with Washington and you just mirrored the same attitude of the Trumpsters.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Displayed here on many occasions.

THE DECISION BY UK VOTERS to leave the EU is such a glaring repudiation of the wisdom and relevance of elite political and media institutions that – for once – their failures have become a prominent part of the storyline. Media reaction to the Brexit vote falls into two general categories: (1) earnest, candid attempts to understand what motivated voters to make this choice, even if that means indicting one’s own establishment circles, and (2) petulant, self-serving, simple-minded attacks on disobedient pro-leave voters for being primitive, xenophobic bigots (and stupid to boot), all to evade any reckoning with their own responsibility. Virtually every reaction that falls into the former category emphasizes the profound failures of western establishment factions; these institutions have spawned pervasive misery and inequality, only to spew condescending scorn at their victims when they object.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/...-institutions/

This article is spot on and is saying exactly what I have been saying for years, just far more eloquently.

Last edited by pknopp; 06-26-2016 at 03:47 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 05:43 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Displayed here on many occasions.

THE DECISION BY UK VOTERS to leave the EU is such a glaring repudiation of the wisdom and relevance of elite political and media institutions that – for once – their failures have become a prominent part of the storyline. Media reaction to the Brexit vote falls into two general categories: (1) earnest, candid attempts to understand what motivated voters to make this choice, even if that means indicting one’s own establishment circles, and (2) petulant, self-serving, simple-minded attacks on disobedient pro-leave voters for being primitive, xenophobic bigots (and stupid to boot), all to evade any reckoning with their own responsibility. Virtually every reaction that falls into the former category emphasizes the profound failures of western establishment factions; these institutions have spawned pervasive misery and inequality, only to spew condescending scorn at their victims when they object.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/...-institutions/

This article is spot on and is saying exactly what I have been saying for years, just far more eloquently.
Finally, we are starting to get some thoughtful analysis about Brexit and other similar movements beyond just rehashing "immigration" as the reason and the perfunctory labeling by journalistic/establishment types of anyone who aligns themselves with these movements as "bigots".

I read the whole article above and it was fantastic. Very well done indeed.

If anyone has any other similarly thoughtful articles - definitely not another regurgitation of the establishment caterwauling and name-calling - please do post it.

Repped.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:14 AM

57,253 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
But they save the 350 million Pounds a week they pay to the EU. They can just invest that money into their economy. Most importantly the people made a huge step in taking their countries back from the corporations and the 1%. It really is that simple. You either support the move towards one world government, run by corporations or you support nations run by the will of the people.
Well that was the commercial last week by the Independence Party, and now it turns out to be a complete fabrication that Nigel Farage has disowned a pledge to spend £350 million of European Union cash after the exit. Now it becomes "they did it". You would think that he would have corrected that lie before the vote, after all he wants the best for GB.

Quote:
The Ukip leader was asked on ITV’s Good Morning Britain programme whether he would guarantee that the money pledged for the health service during the campaign would now be spent on it.
Speaking on the morning of the referendum result he however said he had never made any such pledge'
“No I can’t [guarantee it], and I would never have made that claim. That was one of the mistakes that I think the Leave campaign made,” he said.

When it was pointed out that Vote Leave emblazoned the £350 million claim onto the side of a tour bus and drove it around the country, Mr Farage said: “It wasn’t one of my adverts – I can assure you! I think they made a mistake in doing that.

Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Old 06-26-2016, 06:20 AM

57,253 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishReaper View Post
You seem to be confused. British citizens, Irish citizens and Commonwealth citizens all voted in London. White British make 45% of the population in London. So when exactly are you going to back your statement that all are British citizens?

Scotland isn't that important.

Well your statement that white British make up 45% of the population in London, are non-white also considered British citizens.

Scotland isn't important, it sure seemed so when they voted last year on exiting GB. So is N. Ireland important.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well that was the commercial last week by the Independence Party, and now it turns out to be a complete fabrication that Nigel Farage has disowned a pledge to spend £350 million of European Union cash after the exit. Now it becomes "they did it". You would think that he would have corrected that lie before the vote, after all he wants the best for GB.

Nigel Farage backtracks on Leave campaign's '£350m for the NHS' pledge hours after result | UK Politics | News | The Independent
I'll say once again....... Nigel Farage is not an MP. He is leader of the UKIP party, which has 1 MP out of 650. He has no influence on government policy. His mission in life was to make the vote to leave the EU come about. For that, we are grateful.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:52 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well your statement that white British make up 45% of the population in London, are non-white also considered British citizens. My statement is based on London population numbers. They are only considered a British citizen if they have taken all steps necessary for citizenship requirement including passing the Life in the UK Test and prove your knowledge of English.

Scotland isn't important, it sure seemed so when they voted last year on exiting GB. So is N. Ireland important.
It doesn't matter they voted. Northern Ireland has a lot of issues

Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I'll say once again....... Nigel Farage is not an MP. He is leader of the UKIP party, which has 1 MP out of 650. He has no influence on government policy. His mission in life was to make the vote to leave the EU come about. For that, we are grateful.
Please stop saying 'we' and use 'I'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies