Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Race relations have tumbled over the years since 2009. Some people blame President Barack Obama, Rev. Al Sharpton, etc. for the racial divide. What is the future of race relations between whites and blacks?
Sooner or later, racism is going to die. As the world gets smaller and people get out of their "little village" mentality, it's inevitable. We've come such a long ways in just the last 100 years. These past 7-8 years are only a minor setback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:14 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,213,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
Race relations haven't been this bad in the US since the early 90's. We have let the media turn us against each other with 24/7 coverage of isolated incidents that they purport to be systematic racism.
You are right. then let me make this clear, it is up to you, on both sides to get it right this time. Most my age will not change, I have to a large degree, yet most I know my age are stuck with seeing this though grey colored glasses. them we will all be dead in ten years, or at least not a concern and the Baby boomers are less a problem, after all they were the original movers in mass on social issues. before there were a few very enlightened, but not a large part of the population. That is why the likes of Maddox and Wallace were elected governor in those days.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,956,612 times
No offense meant to those who have a more hopeful outlook, but... consider this: a "generation" is usually considered to be about 20 years. How many generations have there been since the first British settlers brought the first indentured Africans over to North America to begin the United States? Scads. How many generations have there been since the official end to a widespread organized slavery culture in America? At least 10.

The temperature of race relations between black and white Americans remains below room temperature, and I see nothing to inform an opinion that the Millenials will raise it significantly in my lifetime. The opposite actually. There is an intensifying Class War going on between the elites and the middle class, and the middle class is losing. As less and less opportunity remains in the middle class, its population is going to fracture further, along racial lines, before imploding altogether.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,080,980 times
Too, too often being told we need to have a conversation is a disguise for lecturing. No one wants to be talked to, rather she wants to be talked with. This President has talked to, lectured WASPS, to the delight of his AA supporters. I can understand their glee of him lecturing to 'the man'. For the AA community, it is empowering, validating and emboldening. A surrogate if you will.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,213,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No offense meant to those who have a more hopeful outlook, but... consider this: a "generation" is usually considered to be about 20 years. How many generations have there been since the first British settlers brought the first indentured Africans over to North America to begin the United States? Scads. How many generations have there been since the official end to a widespread organized slavery culture in America? At least 10.

The temperature of race relations between black and white Americans remains below room temperature, and I see nothing to inform an opinion that the Millenials will raise it significantly in my lifetime. The opposite actually. There is an intensifying Class War going on between the elites and the middle class, and the middle class is losing. As less and less opportunity remains in the middle class, its population is going to fracture further, along racial lines, before imploding altogether.
I can't imagine a less enlightened response! Did you read what I said? We, meaning both the generation who served in WWII and the next one, those born before 1942 are two generations, two, who elected governors BECAUSE they were segregationists! They won the election because they promised no blacks in white schools. Now we are so far from that, you would not get it. Move ahead, 20 years past the Baby Boomers, then past the next 20 year generation, and you have three generations away from that change from those electing segregationists and what we have today who cannot imagine it being the norm, you cannot imagine it!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Too, too often being told we need to have a conversation is a disguise for lecturing. No one wants to be talked to, rather she wants to be talked with. This President has talked to, lectured WASPS, to the delight of his AA supporters. I can understand their glee of him lecturing to 'the man'. For the AA community, it is empowering, validating and emboldening. A surrogate if you will.
Presidents have been doing social lecturing to the public since Teddy Roosevelt. Probably, before, but he first made a specific point of identifying it as a presidential prerogative.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:53 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,188,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The insanity of American Conservatives boils down to Obama saying a cops acted stupidly in his first year in office ruined race relations in America but flying the Confederate flag on state buildings is harmless AF.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So-called "race" relations have been a mess in the U.S. since the birth of the nation. President Obama's election really angered and scared some people because to them, it was tough not to see a "fully white" person in the White House and then he had an AA wife and their children. It just brought out the racial issues that had been ingrained in them.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're looking at the future of race relations. You're already living it.

America is a dysfunctional family. Hatred, bigotry and mistrust is in our national DNA. That'll never change because we don't want it to change.

The "Obama made race relations worse" nonsense is a canard. People are using that as an excuse for their own ingrained hatreds that they've been nursing long before Obama ever became a politician. They'd be just as hateful if Romney or McCain had won.

Stop with the race relations crap. It'll never get any better than it is now and you all know it. And frankly, why should it? For the millionth time, WE DON'T ALL HAVE TO LIKE EACH OTHER!

We only have to share a country and stay out of each other's way. That's easy enough, ain't it?
And yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laresistance View Post
The blood of those cops executed in NY and in Ferguson is on Obama's hands. He fanned the flames of "white racist cops are just out hunting down black kids" myth by clearly taking the side of the thug every time, consistently, starting with Angel Trayvon. Obama is a horrible racist. Just as Holder/Sharpton. When Black Panther intimidated voters he and Holder's DOJ didn't move a finger. When there's a hate crime game against whites called Knockout Game that's killed and maimed people for life - they don't move a finger. When Ferguson cops write "too many" (I'm sure they weren't making up violations out of thin air) traffic tickets to blacks - it's a huge federal investigation and forced reform of the PD. And how did the whole Ferguson affair come up? O, another angel Michael Brown robbed a store. Ahh.. minor detail.

Do these people really think we're stupid? We don't see the double and the triple standards and we don't who's really getting the special treatment?
And Dylan Roof? Oh, I'm sure that's Obama/black people's fault, too.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post

No, it's getting better and will get better.

When I was a kid, the US was segregated in so many ways kids today can't even imagine it. Television, for instance, was virtually all white. Television cartoons like the Jetsons and Flintstones--all white. Live action series, virtually all white. Commercials, all white. Even street scenes--filled with picked-white people. If you did see a black person, it was nearly guaranteed to be in a subservient role. "Twilight Zone" was a notable exception--one episode even featured a black computer scientist...but that was science fiction, y'know.

Through the sixties as things began to change, we could still name all the black cast members on our hands--and we knew them all by name. Bill Cosby, Greg Morris, Diane Carrol, Gail Fisher...we could count them like counting 20th century presidents. There were that few.

Television mirrored the real life of most white people: No blacks in their world. Our schools, movie theaters, swimming pools were all segregated. I was in the 7th grade before I'd ever met a white kid, before I'd ever known one by name. I was in the 7th grade before I'd even sat in the same area of a movie theater as a white kid. Except for the town librarian, I'd never even known or called a white adult by name--even all the teachers and administrators in our schools were black.

That being true for me, it was ten times truer for white kids of my generation. I of course at least saw white people on the street on the occasions my folks took me downtown...but white kids never had a reason to enter the black part of town.

When I got to the age that girls became interesting, interracial marriage was still illegal in 16 states (including mine).

So that was an era in which for the vast majority of American Boomer kids, segregation imprinted in our psyches as "normal" for most of our formative years. Most white Boomers older than I may never even have met a black person as a "peer" until they were adults.

Millennials have grown up in a vastly different world. Even if a Millennial kid's specific situation might have been de facto segregated as a matter of economic class, he's still grown up in a society in which blacks have been represented as "normal" everywhere. That's going to make a difference.

But remember: We Boomers--we kids in whom segregation was imprinted as "normal"--are still firmly in control of American media, commerce, and politics.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,855,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Hopefully the media will resist inflaming situations with intentionally misleading headlines, articles and outright lies.
Thank you for making my day with this comment. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,956,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I can't imagine a less enlightened response! Did you read what I said? We, meaning both the generation who served in WWII and the next one, those born before 1942 are two generations, two, who elected governors BECAUSE they were segregationists! They won the election because they promised no blacks in white schools. Now we are so far from that, you would not get it. Move ahead, 20 years past the Baby Boomers, then past the next 20 year generation, and you have three generations away from that change from those electing segregationists and what we have today who cannot imagine it being the norm, you cannot imagine it!
Schools are more segregated today than they were during segregation! Once the era of forced bussing ended schools self-segregated along racial lines all over the country. Where that is not the case there are huge problems maintaining morale and/or test scores. Look through any sub-forum and you see threads asking where the safe parts of town are, where the good schools are... ... I've had posters say they like my posts best when I avoid revealing my race. They want a whitewashed Internet where race and race issues can be ignored, in much the way that workplaces now have wage secrecy statutes so that gender and racially motivated wage discrimination can flourish without much scrutiny.

As we speak cities around the country are passing laws attempting to protect the identity of officers involved in shooting incidents. One city wants that the names of officers involved in shootings never to be revealed in the event the officer is eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.... seems fair... in 450 police shootings last year in Los Angeles, every single officer was cleared of wrongdoing at, or before, the Grand Jury level. I think it is safe to say that the touchstone issue that most divides America racially, is the blue wall of silence that separates the Law Enforcement community from the Black community. The response to the calls for reform to the deteriorating state of relations with the Black community is to anonymize the police forces so they can carry on in the manner to which?? I don't know... I really don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies