Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,600,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It is what it is then. If its racist to observe that, as far as opportunity is concerned, black people do not have the kind of traction in the labor market that every other racial group in this country enjoys. If it is racist to call that out, then consider me guilty as charged.
Why don't they? If it is racism, why have plenty of minorities done well in general? If it's not racism, what is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Schools are more segregated today than they were during segregation! Once the era of forced bussing ended schools self-segregated along racial lines all over the country. Where that is not the case there are huge problems maintaining morale and/or test scores. Look through any sub-forum and you see threads asking where the safe parts of town are, where the good schools are... ... I've had posters say they like my posts best when I avoid revealing my race. They want a whitewashed Internet where race and race issues can be ignored, in much the way that workplaces now have wage secrecy statutes so that gender and racially motivated wage discrimination can flourish without much scrutiny.

As we speak cities around the country are passing laws attempting to protect the identity of officers involved in shooting incidents. One city wants that the names of officers involved in shootings never to be revealed in the event the officer is eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.... seems fair... in 450 police shootings last year in Los Angeles, every single officer was cleared of wrongdoing at, or before, the Grand Jury level. I think it is safe to say that the touchstone issue that most divides America racially, is the blue wall of silence that separates the Law Enforcement community from the Black community. The response to the calls for reform to the deteriorating state of relations with the Black community is to anonymize the police forces so they can carry on in the manner to which?? I don't know... I really don't know...
Again, why single out black community? It's not like that people of others races don't get shot.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,952,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why don't they? If it is racism, why have plenty of minorities done well in general? If it's not racism, what is it?
??? You're messing with me, right?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Again, why single out black community? It's not like that people of others races don't get shot.
There is always some mitigating circumstance when other races are shot, like a weapon, or threatening behavior on the part of the victim, that allows a determination that... well... not quite a nice outcome, but we can all see how this happened. Too many black men and even some women have been killed who were unarmed and were also submissive and cooperative. Wanting things to be different is not enough if they aren't. And they aren't.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,077,897 times
Goes without saying. Their is leading and then there is lecturing. The tone is the message. Carter did it in similar way, talking down, not lifting up. Kennedy, LBJ lifted up, as did Reagan and Clinton - excepting his defense of his indefensible behavior. Dubya could lead, but also be petulant. George H.W. just did not register, but I had some tough things swirling around me at that time, so I was not really paying attention.

Don't have specific memory/impression further back then that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Presidents have been doing social lecturing to the public since Teddy Roosevelt. Probably, before, but he first made a specific point of identifying it as a presidential prerogative.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
There is always some mitigating circumstance when other races are shot, like a weapon, or threatening behavior on the part of the victim, that allows a determination that... well... not quite a nice outcome, but we can all see how this happened. Too many black men and even some women have been killed who were unarmed and were also submissive and cooperative. Wanting things to be different is not enough if they aren't. And they aren't.
Unarmed <> not dangerous.

Maybe you should look at this statistics:

Race % of Inmates
Asian: 1.5%
Black : 37.8%
Native American: 2.0%
White: 58.7%

Unless you can show us there's a systematic approach to imprison Black people, the number tells the inconvenient truth the Black people refuse to face.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
??? You're messing with me, right?
Could you explain? No, I am not messing with you.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:39 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,615,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Race relations have tumbled over the years since 2009. Some people blame President Barack Obama, Rev. Al Sharpton, etc. for the racial divide. What is the future of race relations between whites and blacks?
The only people that blame the president and the others you mentioned are prejudiced and ignorant people that aren't successful.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Unarmed <> not dangerous.

Maybe you should look at this statistics:

Race % of Inmates

Unless you can show us there's a systematic approach to imprison Black people, the number tells the inconvenient truth the Black people refuse to face.
What inconvenient truth? Are you really implying that everyone in prison is supposed to be there???? Seriously? All the examples except black are in prison at a much lower rate than their percentage in the population. You conclude from this that blacks are therefore deserving of this because of some inbuilt criminality? The criminality is in a legal system that forces innocent black people, beats confessions out of innocent black people, tortures confessions out of innocent black people, for crimes they did not commit in order to imprison them so that white people without college education can have careers in law enforcement and prison security. And a low (very low) wage workforce can be farmed out to the various entities that cannot yet outsource their labor to Mexico or overseas. Are all blacks in prison innocent? Of course not! But a lot are. Even the ones that are guilty as sin end up serving 25 year to life sentences for offenses that have the other inmates serving their time in 10 years or less.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
The only people that blame the president and the others you mentioned are prejudiced and ignorant people that aren't successful.
Obama: 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon'

Race % of Inmates

Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies