Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 04:04 PM

28,694 posts, read 18,846,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There you go with that "a lot" thing. Black white intermarriage is the lowest percentage of all kinds of intermarriage in this country. It proves nothing. Nothing good, nothing bad. Race relations has always been an individual affair. My wife is white... when I was born and for several years afterwards it would have been illegal for us to be together let alone marry. And? There have been blacks and whites in romantic and more casual relationships long before it was legal. It is difficult to say that it is better or worse for the passage of time.
White grandparents proudly wheeling their mixed grandchildren around the grocery store. That certainly did not happen in the 60s, 70s, or 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I was lucky enough to grow up in a City that was pretty much desegregated by the time I was born (late 1940's) in a family where Black people were respectfully referred to.
Which makes you a statistical outlier in the US. Congratulations.

Quote:
Those old Boomers that were (and some almost certainly still are) "bigots" would have raised their children to be bigoted also. Nobody is born a Bigot, they are carefully taught to be a bigot - that is true of all types of Bigotry. Some "change", many won't. A LOT depends on where you live.

As for the Millennials & "race baiters" - keep in mind that the "Black Lives Matter" leadership is Millennials and so is the Social Justice College Snowflakes that not demand Hiring/Firing privileges and Safe Spaces. They are also the crowd of the 'micro-aggressions' and 'speech police'.
Those are not the individuals who are going to gain control of society in the next 25-30 years, and they are certainly not anywhere like the percentage of persons taught to be bigots up to and including the Boomer generation.

Quote:
They will at some point .... be "firmly in control". I don't see a lot of "hope" with this crowd of Millennials if they continue on the same goofy track they are on today. I do see that the Generation X crowd will likely step up to the plate.
Millennials don't look any worse now than Boomers did in the 60s.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's just a simple math to get the 70%.

Assuming the Black is about 12% of overall population - don't quote me on this as different sources give slightly different numbers.

Assuming it's proportional, the true Black criminals should only be 12% of prison population, which means the other 25.8% (37.8%-12%) would be innocent. 26% of 37.8% is about 70% or 68.2% exactly.

That would be almost 2/3 of the Black inmates were innocent. You gotta be freaking kidding me here!:
Innocent, no, but a good percentage are in prison under circumstances that would not have resulted in prison had they been white.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,315,309 times
Race relations haven't gotten worse in reality, the internet just gives everyone more of a voice. Just like crime isn't worse, you just hear more about everything these days.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I disagree with this assertion as well as the language used to make it. Both the assertion and its frame as being "time travel" imply an impossible change.

In reality, the agenda of progressives is about nothing but "change". To suddenly assume that change is openly possible in one direction is not a plausible argument. Historically, change in the other direction is not only possible but probable.
I was considering your notion that, as you replied to desertdetroiter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by your reply here, QUOTE=golgi1 View Post
"You just condensed all of the best logic for differing races and tribes living in different countries. Nations / informal territories were originally formed because we didn't like each other and couldn't stay out of one another's way."
Personally, I thought desertdetroiter's assessment was reality based & demonstrated a nearly flawless logic. Your notion that it would somehow be better? to return to differing races & tribes living in different Countries, besides being IMHO nightmarish, was a determined misunderstanding & demonstrated faulty logic. Even if that were the (only) solution, that is, to 'time travel back' & design this type of Country, 'time travel' is neither an option or a solution. To clarify further: it's worth noting time travel, whether backward or forward is not plausible when trouble shooting or solution providing, etc.

OTOH, change is constant. & to go one step further, if one desires change, to influence its direction, so to speak, one, at times, needs to be willing to be uncomfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1
I don't think that biology has any defensible part in this discussion. Whether it is "common" or "different" is meaningless. The saliet point is that we tend to have differing cultures and thus behaviors, and thus differing political agendas that seem to be mostly unresolvable.
The biology part is ... get this ... there is only one race. Do you have a problem with?

& this is poetic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
...it serves no purpose to deny our common biology & history. Although this begs the question, does it really make sense to celebrate the Confederate States of America? We are still The, albeit precariously, United States of America. Vive la differences. After all, the diversity in the natural world is celebrated, why can't we? It demonstrates our strengths as well as our beauty.
Quote:
That sounds poetic, but it is a sentiment that works best mostly in poems. The reality of the situation on the ground is that we continuously engage in all manner of cold war tactics with one another that are meant to vie for resource and political control. Whether a group does this from a place of strength or from a place of claimed victimhood is irrelevant to the continuing and undeniable dynamic. For everyone's mental health, everyone must be free of this dynamic and soon.
Apparently, I'm a poet & I don't know it, geez, hope I don't blow it.

Are you a Confederate-American?

Are we still fighting the American Civil War however in its 'Cold War' phase?
Quote:
Who is "our people"? I'm not of the same people as Jews, Blacks, or Latinos and they certainly are not of one another.
I'm American. When I say 'our people,' I mean American people.
Quote:
There are many groups here that do not agree with this idea, and when they do agree with it it is only to placate others while they continue to vie for group power.
I tend not to give a flying fig about folks who don't agree with this crazy idea of mine about 'our people'. & it's worth noting this is not an original idea, that is, I'm not the first or only one to come up with this crazy notion. At the same time, I strongly stand by the idea that the American Civil War ended some time ago & the perception we can proceed with 'Cold War' tactics &/or strategies is ... well ... dysfunctional & self-defeating. (this notion again, did not originate with me)
Quote:
Are you serious?
I'm dead serious. I prefer healthy functioning to crippled, diseased dysfunction e v e r y t i m e.
Quote:
This nation is wholly dysfunctional on almost every conceivable level other than the ability to put flatscreens in the homes of everyone but the most indigent. By no measure have we been moving toward functionality. One does not achieve functionality by continuously moving further away from it.
I can agree with some of this but that's for another thread. Do you have a problem with?
Quote:
I appreciate your optimism, but I don't have a sense of fun on this topic. None of the pertinent issues are fun nor otherwise trivial.
Personally, I'm not sure I would call it optimism however not here to quibble about nonessentials.

I apologize if I've made you or anyone else uncomfortable. Perhaps I have not been 'politically correct' enough for your taste? & so it goes. Personally, I prefer honesty, even if it's blatant this-ism or that-ism, I think it's preferable to know where one stands.

Last edited by ChiGeekGuest; 03-08-2016 at 05:28 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Race relations haven't gotten worse in reality, the internet just gives everyone more of a voice. Just like crime isn't worse, you just hear more about everything these days.
Crime is down. Teen pregnancies are down. Police killed and wounded are down. Yes. We just hear more about each incident, and the news is repeated over and over.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:
Yes, the world has shrunk but when you look at statistics you see racism dying a slow drawn out death.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Those who claim that race relations are worse really mean that they're just bigger bigots than they once were.

Otherwise, I don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,918,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Those who claim that race relations are worse really mean that they're just bigger bigots than they once were.

Otherwise, I don't know what the hell they're talking about.
They live in a segregated world where all they do is watch reports on ferguson. They are ignorant jackasses who in the pre Internet era you would never hear from. Ignorant cowards behind a computer screen.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
The internet just reflects what has always been there. We are exposed to more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies