Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This really comes down to the definition of feminism, and today the definition appears to be a woman who always votes D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I dated one.
We went to a restaurant and I made the mistake of opening the door in-front of her. You know, the old-school gentlemen stuff?
And then I got a lecture how those gestures are chauvinist and patriarchal bla bla bla.
Sorry, but no thanks.
Yes it does depend on each individuals definition of feminism.
I consider myself a feminist because my definition is equal legal and civil rights, having the same rights, privileges and responsibilities as every other adult citizen. I am not a democrat and I am very appreciative of anyone who opens a door or holds a door for me and I let them know it. I was able to get an education and career, I can financially support myself and children, get a mortgage loan, credit card, vote, hold office and many things that were rare to obtain for my mothers generation and out of reach for my grandmothers generation. To me that is the fruits of feminism.

Now if you see feminist in the same light as I see MGTOW, I can understand your feelings. I dont however see men who want and lobby for equality where it is lacking such as family court, custody and child support and domestic violence in the same realm as MGTOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I takes a real man to date a feminist. A lot of you don't qualify.
I really love how many women will casually insult or call into a question a guy's manhood as a pejorative or a means to shame them.

Why should you or anyone else get to decide who qualifies as a man or not? Last time I checked, it was when a male reached the age of majority.

Since the topic is about feminism, which also means equal rights between the sexes, maybe we can discuss why nobody usually calls a female's womanhood into question in order to insult or shame her, no matter HOW despicable or contemptible she may be. They just say she is an evil woman or a bad woman, no one really ever says she isn't a "real" woman.

It's a minor point that brings up a bigger issue. We talk about feminism constantly as if it's still a big concern when many of it's battle's have been fought and won decades ago. Still we casually dismiss men in ways we would never dream of doing to women in this "enlightened" day and age.

We question their manhood as way to shame or belittle them. We never do the same to women.

We joke and think it's funny if a guy gets kicked in the groin, we joke about male rape in prison, we joke about female teachers having sex with underage male students. All of these things would be taken with the
utmost somberness and gravity if the genders were reversed.

If a guy is not good at sports or knowing how to fix things, he is seen as less than a man, but if a woman does not know how to cook or sew, no one thinks any less of her. Men are still defined by gender roles. Women are not.

But it takes a "real man" to date a feminist. In other words, you don't qualify as a man unless you support a group which advances the interests and rights of women, often at the expense of your own gender while it claims to be about equality.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I really love how many women will casually insult or call into a question a guy's manhood as a pejorative or means to shame them.

Why should you or anyone else get to decide who qualifies as a man or not? Last time I checked, it was when a male reached the age of majority.

Since the topic is about feminism, which also means equal rights between the sexes, maybe we can discuss why nobody usually calls a female's womanhood into question in order to insult or shame her, no matter HOW despicable or contemptible she may be.

Because she wasn't being despicable or contemptible. She was being right.

I'm not a woman but I too want to know what kind of man wants a woman who is unaware of her rights and just obediently follows the lead and counsel of her boyfriend or husband and is generally too ignorant to know when she's being exploited?

Maybe a guy who wants a child for a companion?

I don't know about you but I'm attracted to grown women who don't need or want a man to help manage their life and life decisions and hold their hand like a baby.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:09 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

I'm not a woman but I too want to know what kind of man wants a woman who is unaware of her rights and just obediently follows the lead and counsel of her boyfriend or husband and is generally too ignorant to know when she's being exploited?

I don't know about you but I'm attracted to grown women who don't need or want a man to help manage their life and life decisions and hold their hand like a baby.
No, not at all. I wasn't saying that the person I was responding to was being contemptible, I was making a point that in our society, no matter how evil or contemptible a given woman can be, say a female criminal or negligent parent or something... no one says "she's not a real woman" They don't really call her womanhood into question by some arbitrary criteria.

However, people constantly do this with men. Even other men do it.
"He's not a real man", etc.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I really love how many women will casually insult or call into a question a guy's manhood as a pejorative or a means to shame them.

Since the topic is about feminism, which also means equal rights between the sexes, maybe we can discuss why nobody usually calls a female's womanhood into question in order to insult or shame her, no matter HOW despicable or contemptible she may be. They just say she is an evil woman or a bad woman, no one really ever says she isn't a "real" woman.

It's a minor point that brings up a bigger issue. We talk about feminism constantly as if it's still a big concern when many of it's battle's have been fought and won decades ago. Still we casually dismiss men in ways we would never dream of doing to women in this "enlightened" day and age.

We question their manhood as way to shame or belittle them. We never do the same to women.

We joke and think it's funny if a guy gets kicked in the groin, we joke about male rape in prison, we joke about female teachers having sex with underage male students. All of these things would be taken with the
utmost somberness and gravity if the genders were reversed.

If a guy is not good at sports or knowing how to fix things, he is seen as less than a man, but if a woman does not know how to cook or sew, no one thinks any less of her. Men are still defined by gender roles. Women are not.

But it takes a "real man" to date a feminist. In other words, you don't qualify as a man unless you support a group which advances the interests and rights of women, often at the expense of your own gender while it claims to be about equality.
You have a good points. This is something that needs worked on, however it is typically men who do this to other men.

And just to point out actually some use the word feminist the same as one would use the term real man implying if a woman identifies with feminism she is not a real woman.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

I know a lot of feminists. Too many of them are very arrogant, aggressive, lack sense of humor, cannot tolerate critics, very sour and have a lot of complexes. And usually fat and ugly.
Yep, the dream girl... Yikes.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:35 PM

617 posts, read 349,172 times
I seem to have attracted a feminist stalker who's anonymously repping me to insult me in my inbox. Proves my point, no?

Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
We joke and think it's funny if a guy gets kicked in the groin, we joke about male rape in prison, we joke about female teachers having sex with underage male students. All of these things would be taken with the utmost somberness and gravity if the genders were reversed.

The bolded isn't true across the board. There have been quite a few posters on this forum who disparage women who don't know how to cook. "Disparage" is putting it mildly.

I don't know who this "we" is that laughs about male rape, or about men getting kicked in the groin, or women teachers having sex with students, but you can leave out all the men and women I've ever known. Those are very serious matters. I can only imagine it's a subset of men who joke about those things. Not very mature men.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:53 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
If you define a feminist as one who wants the best for females and demands equality, then yes. If you define a feminist as one who wants great things for women but dislikes men, then no.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Is this one of those Rush Limbaugh talk radio topics?

It's almost as funny as that Curb Your Enthusiasm when Larry had to break up with a woman because she turned out to be a Republican. But that is actually a fictional comedy show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies