Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 11:09 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
...the intellectual breadth of what feminism encompasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 11:15 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Global politics are important things in running a family? Really?

Here is a couple I know: He is 40 years old, very smart person, director in IT company, a lot of life experience. A real shark.
She is 25, drop-dead gorgeous, good-hearted lady.
And when they started to get serious she told him that she wants to be a mother and a house-wife and that he will make all the hard decisions and will take all the responsibility for the family. Is she being exploited? No, she chose what is right for her.
Yes, she's ignorant and possibly exploited….if she just blindly follows his lead in the voting booth…

Your vote is your vote. If you want to be considered a liberated adult, you don't blindly relegate your personal democratic choices to the direction and opinion of another person…That's not a man/woman relationship…that's a parent/child relationship to the degree you are letting someone else make those kind of choices for you…

Now I personally don't want a woman who is intellectually a child for a girlfriend and who can't be bothered to figure out her own politics and so just follows her boyfriend's lead.…But I guess you would...

Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I would immediately leave a date if I found out the man I was seeing was not a feminist. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Definitely do not get anywhere close to my pants.

Feminism is an entire academic field in which there are many paradigms and theoretical frameworks. I don't expect the men I date to be on the up and up on all of them (I'm certainly not) but saying, "I'm not a feminist" is akin to saying, "I don't respect you because you have a vagina" and that's not Kosher. And if a man thinks that feminism has one wit to do with female supremacy then it shows he hasn't spent an ounce of intellectual effort before making an uninformed opinion.
For some reason what you say reminds me Islam apologists, that say "ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah and all of those terrorists organizations are not Islamic, the real Islam is a religion of peace".
I'm really sorry, but that how people see feminists today: Woman supremacists, no sense of humor, very arrogant and hostile.
I cannot call my self a feminist because it has a very bad name today. But I am for equal rights and anti discrimination based on gender, race, etc.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:21 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Yes, she's ignorant and possibly exploited….if she just blindly follows his lead in the voting booth…

Your vote is your vote. If you want to be considered a liberated adult, you don't blindly relegate your personal democratic choices to the direction and opinion of another person…That's not a man/woman relationship…that's a parent/child relationship to the degree you are letting someone else make those kind of choices for you…
This is how some SAHMS in the old days related to their husbands, though. It's an out-of-date model. If they happened to read a book that opened their eyes about a political issue, their husbands would "intenrpret" it for them, and they'd buy whatever he was selling. They would ask permission to buy an item of clothing. Some even called their husbands "daddy". Seriously. I saw a women do that in a store once. She looked to be in her 50's or so, elegant type, her husband was clearly a high-earner. It was very weird hearing that and seeing that behavior from a 50-something (or older) upper-crust woman.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I would immediately leave a date if I found out the man I was seeing was not a feminist. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Definitely do not get anywhere close to my pants.

Feminism is an entire academic field in which there are many paradigms and theoretical frameworks. I don't expect the men I date to be on the up and up on all of them (I'm certainly not) but saying, "I'm not a feminist" is akin to saying, "I don't respect you because you have a vagina" and that's not Kosher. And if a man thinks that feminism has one wit to do with female supremacy then it shows he hasn't spent an ounce of intellectual effort before making an uninformed opinion.
Now that's what I call attractive.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

Now I personally don't want a woman who is intellectually a child for a girlfriend and who can't be bothered to figure out her own politics and so just follows her boyfriend's lead.…But I guess you would...
I believe he doesn't care and following her lead about what sort of meat to buy or what will be the color of the walls... So he is exploited too

Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
For some reason what you say reminds me Islam apologists, that say "ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah and all of those terrorists organizations are not Islamic, the real Islam is a religion of peace".
I'm really sorry, but that how people see feminists today: Woman supremacists, no sense of humor, very arrogant and hostile.
I cannot call my self a feminist because it has a very bad name today. But I am for equal rights and anti discrimination based on gender, race, etc.
So you're a feminist.

The "bad name" isn't rooted in anything. It's just ephemerally perpetuated. Sure, there are probably some women who hate men and they probably call themselves feminists, but why does that have bearing on the hundreds, thousands of scholars and thinkers writing on the topic? I can't say I've ever met one of these mythical "woman supremacist" feminists, though I've met plenty of men who claim they hate women *because* of the scary feminists.

Dating feminist men is particularly important to me because I am generally the submissive half of a relationship. That doesn't mean I don't have a brain, opinions, or agency of my own and my desire to fall into that role isn't rooted in my femininity. If I was a guy, I'd probably be orientated the same way.

I won't deny being arrogant, but that has nothing to do with being a feminist. My brother, who would not consider himself a feminist in the least, is far more arrogant than I am. It's a family trait.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:32 AM

596 posts, read 428,392 times
Know how I know your single?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:43 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,730,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitascreed View Post
Let's say you've been dating a woman for a little while and at some point you have a conversation with her during which she reveals out that she's a feminist. So, you ask her what she means by that in order to clarify (feminism of course can mean different things depending on the weather) and it turns out that she is in fact an actual feminist (as opposed to saying it as a careless comment).

Would you continue seeing her, even if it's just casually? Or what would you do?
How could you possible miss the fact that she's a feminist? Way back when I was still single, I was always the type of guy who got the door for my date, paid for dinner and just generally tried to be a gentleman wherever possible. Seems to me that a true feminist would have ripped me a new one multiple times on the very first date and there wouldn't have been a second date.

As to feminism overall, they have some good points but the movement tends to devolve into little more than angry man-hating social justice warriors. I still recall seeing the "36 Questions" thing and the absolute swarm of both men and women doing response videos ripping it all to shreds. Feminazi level feminism tends to trigger an angry response from a majority of both men and women in America.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:49 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
To me a feminist, as the term is used today, is simply a woman who doesn`t understand herself or her nature and fails to find joy in life because she is trying to be something she is not, something she cannot be, and, if she understood herself, wouldn`t want to be.
And what would that be? A whole, independent person with their own thoughts, dreams, opinions and ideas rather than a "seen but not heard" doormat/servant who automatically says "yes" to everything anyone else who has a penis says?

Last edited by Hesster; 05-13-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies